New plot details for Iron Man 3

Including the identity of Ben Kingsley’s villain

Iron Man 3’s collection of villains appears to be tieing together, with Latino Review revealing some new plot details courtesy of a source at Marvel Studios. Naturally there are potential spoilers ahead, so read on with caution.

First and foremost is the apparent confirmation that Ben Kingsley will be playing The Mandarin, Iron Man’s seminal comic-book nemesis and the scientific genius who eventually gets his hands on the mystical ten rings.

However, while Mandarin’s status in the comic-books is as Iron Man’s most nefarious enemy, in this film he’ll be playing a supporting role to Guy Pearce’s primary antagonist, the scientist Aldrich Killian. Killian is the man responsible for creating the Extremis project which he will use to power hisnew “Extremis Army”.

Said army is where new cast additions James Badge Dale and Ashley Hamilton come in. They will play Coldblood and Firepower respectively, a pair of super-powered individuals who derive their powers from Killian’s pioneering technology.

The final reveal is that the Patriot Armour, a cross between Iron Man’s suit and Captain America’s design aesthetic, will make an appearance in the new film. How exactly it will figure in the story remains to be seen, but leaked on-set images have shown that it will play a role somewhere along the line.

Plenty to digest there then, and plenty of time to do so, as Iron Man 3 will open in the UK on 3 May 2013.

Are you pleased to hear the Mandarin is appearing? Tell us, below...

Comments

May 31st 2012, 11:36

Fuq this, I want the Ruffalo - Hulk Movie!

• ChrisWootton

May 31st 2012, 12:05

Yeah, I thought he was the best thing in the Avengers.. this is another blokes in suits fighting movie.. bored now

• FBPMurray45

May 31st 2012, 12:22

Agreed, the Hulk made the Avengers, however I think Iron Man 3 is going to be brilliant, RDJ put in his best Tony Stark in the Avengers and with Shane Black at the helm I'll always look forward to it, plus I have a sneaking suspicion that Stark's new BFF (Ruffalo's Banner) will appear somewhere in the next Iron Man.

• ChrisWootton

May 31st 2012, 12:32

Actually I hadn't thought of that possibility. Yeah, you're right.. probably is going to be pretty good.. the Iron Man movies are the best of the bunch so far.. hell, I didn't mind part 2

• FBPMurray45

May 31st 2012, 12:40

although if I had my way, I'd just employ Joss Whedon as the Writer/Director of all Marvel Movies, and Chris Nolan for all the DC movies.....get Matthew Vaughn to do everything in between and I can die happy, haha

• bencobra

May 31st 2012, 13:11

Judging by the number of villains I would accept at least three of the Avengers appearing in this movie. My money would be on Fury, Banner and Captain America.

• bencobra

May 31st 2012, 13:12

Meant 'expect not 'accept' Apologies for my poor grammar

• SiMan

May 31st 2012, 13:25

@FBPMurray45 - seconded. News of the Mandarin making an appearance has peeked my interest a little more now - hope they make him an interesting character. A little unsure about the Patriot armour making an appearance - not unless they follow the Dark Reign plotline and have someone else in the suit taking over the mantle, but secretly up to no good (sounds daft, but its an excellent story arc in the Marvel universe!)

May 31st 2012, 14:13

lol...Stark VS ENRON. Stark is bankrupted and forced to become a science teacher.

May 31st 2012, 17:43

The Mandarin = Yeah Iron Patriot = Booooo

• FBMBurgess

May 31st 2012, 19:58

Please no more man-in-powerful-suit-fighting-man-in-powerful-suit. It's boring! This is one of the reasons why Avengers was so good! Mix it up!

• BradleyRobyn

Jun 5th 2012, 23:43

what Hazel said I am dazzled that a stay at home mom can earn $4573 in 4 weeks on the internet. have you seen this site ======>>> lazycash1.com