New release date for The Wolverine

Here we go again

Given the off-again on-again nature of X-Men Origins sequel The Wolverine, we’d almost given up on seeing Hugh Jackman don the claws again for another big screen outing.

Indeed, The Wolverine has undergone so many false starts that it must surely be regarded as the new go-to example for explaining the phrase “development hell”.

Adverse weather conditions, directors with cold feet, scheduling conflicts… you name it, The Wolverine has endured it. However, there does finally seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel, with Fox announcing an official release date for the superhero sequel.

That date is 26 July 2013, giving director James Mangold a year at most to get the film in the can. Given that Jackman has also yet to shoot Les Miserables, that seems like quite a squeeze, but hopefully it shouldn’t detract from the end product too much.

The latest draft of the script has been penned by Mark Bomback, and will see an amnesia-suffering Wolverine heading to Japan to find answers concerning his past. Whilst there he falls in love and finds himself tangling with a powerful warrior known as the Silver Samurai.

We really do hope the new release date sticks this time around, although given the project’s troubled history, we won’t be holding our breath…

Have you given up hope for this one, or will Wolvie return in style? Tell us, below.

Comments

• alexr

Feb 8th 2012, 13:00

Still want to see a Deadpool movie...

• mcghater

Feb 8th 2012, 13:20

more chance of first class sequel to come before this disaster of a movie

• FBJRider

Feb 8th 2012, 15:08

I sure hope there's a First Class sequel, with more time for post production etc. First Class is the best X-men movie. I wouldn't mind if The Wolverine never gets made the first one was the worst X-men film ever, I'll never understand why people like him so much he's terrible, why not X-men Origins: Any mutant other than Wolverine

• ChrisWootton

Feb 8th 2012, 15:59

So he loses his memory then has to discover stuff about his past.. jeeesus.. that's what this character has been going through in all four of the movies with STILL no decent answers. Really think they should can this now.. if they can't get it right after four attempts they may as well give up.

Feb 8th 2012, 16:07

I wish I could erase my memory of Wolverine: Origins. Remember how exciting it was when the trailer came out? I think Jackman will want complete quality control on the sequel, less PG-13 friendly and more blood and action , wishful thinking I guess.

• Firedragon76

Feb 8th 2012, 16:30

@alexr: really? After Origins Wolverine the last thing I want is a Deadpool movie, he was already grating on my nerves in that one.