New Survival Of The Dead Clip Online

Watch a scene from Romero's latest

George A. Romero's latest entry into his seminal 'Dead' series is the re-titled Survival Of The Dead - and we have the first clip.

Set on an island off the Pacific coast of North America, the film follows a community who try not to kill their recently deceased, recently reanimated relatives in the hopes of instead finding a cure.

The pic, originally titled ...Of The Dead, is hot on the heels of the 2007 entry Diary Of The Dead, and had opened a lively office debate about the possible prefix (Milking Of The Dead? Jumping The Shark Of The Dead? Flogging The Horse Of The Dead?) until the new, thoroughly more positive title was released.

The jury is out at the videostore over this one, reluctant to announce a verdict out of loyalty to Romero, but the diminishing quality of recent Dead sequels, 2005's Land Of The Dead and the frankly awful Diary Of The Dead, means nobody is exactly holding their breath.

Watch the clip below and judge for yourself;

Verdict? Another classic? Or is this one Dead too far? Let us know your thoughts.

Technorati Profile

Comments

• tommyflemin

Sep 8th 2009, 12:43

To be honest I do think the "Dead" series has become a bit naff and Romero needs to either come up with a brand new take on the zombie fellows or leave it to die (ironic I know becasue zombies are undead)

• DanielMcA

Sep 8th 2009, 13:39

Perhaps this has been done but what about "Song of the Dead" - an upbeat musical about the whole zombie "shenanigans"

• agentblackacid

Sep 8th 2009, 13:56

Although it had its flaws I am in the minority who feel that 'Diary' was actually a far better film than 'Land' which may as well been a Sci-fi movie it was so far removed from the original trilogy. Whilst George Romero is a great guy and the first few dead films are classics I can't help feeling that he's just retreading old ground. I'd prefer to see someone give the Dead films a modern reboot like Nolan did for Batman and Aronofsky is/isn't doing for Robocop rather than see slightly more expensive B-Movies telling the same story in a different setting. That said, George will certainly get my cinema entrance free as long as he's making films.

• mattrix33

Sep 8th 2009, 17:04

I thought both Land and Diary were god awful films. The "evolved" zombies in Land were a joke. I think Romero should call it a day,yes his early films were good in there time but the genre has expanded and moved on in ways he can`t keep up with. Synder and Boyle(yes i know there not zombies in 28 days) have improved upon his origanap ideas and brought it up to date. Even C4`s rather brilliant Dead set left Romeros moderns works standing...or should that be rotting

• MadMatt

Sep 8th 2009, 23:14

Invoking the dreaded buzzword 'reboot'? Sigh. Does that have to be the answer for everything these days? Why not just leave existing movies alone and do something new instead? I'm not a huge fan of the latest Romero zombie movies and would rather he stretched himself a bit, but I'm sure - for the last one at least - he had much less money to play with than Snyder and Co. And as for Snyder and Boyle improving upon Romero's original ideas?! Jesus wept... The original trilogy (especially the first two installments) are genre classics. Snyder's Dawn remake is merely a competent horror movie. Anyone who thinks the noughties Dawn Of The Dead is better than the seventies original must either be 12 years old or needs their head examined.

• eeyore1059

Sep 8th 2009, 23:34

I have to agree with mattrix33 and say that both Land and Diary were awful, but let me add the original Dawn to that list. One of the most overrated films I can think of. The original was a great movie. The low budget seemed to actually help it,giving it a real edge. What I don't understand is, with Martin having turned out so well, why doesn't Romero turn his attention to genre films that he hasn't done over and over again?

• parker

Sep 9th 2009, 8:46

diary was one of the worst film i have ever seen. Top five best zombie movies: 1. Return of the living dead 2. dawn of the dead (2004) 3. Shaun of the dead 4. Day of the dead 5. Dead set (I know it's not a movie)

• DanRose

Sep 9th 2009, 10:32

Think this looks brilliant! If you're a dumb, 17 year old American which is who these films are made for these days. Bet Survival is cliche ridden, poorly acted and scripted and another nail in Romero's coffin. Zombieland is looking promising though!!