Ninja Turtles co-creator says new reboot is the best yet

Michael Bay's ill-received project gets Kevin Eastman's backing

Ever since Michael Bay announced that his production company were backing a reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, fans have been merrily putting the boot into what seems generally regarded as a totally unnecessary undertaking.

The main problem seems to be with Bay's announcement that the backstory will be tweaked to recast the Turtles as alien beings rather than mutated reptiles. However, director Jonathan Liebsman was quick to reassure fans of the story's authenticity, claiming, "Whatever mythology we’re building on or expanding is coming from that guy, Kevin Eastman’s head, who created the Turtles in the first place."

Eastman was one of the co-creators of the original comic-book characters and now he too has had his say on the forthcoming reboot. And what do you know? It turns out he's all for it.

“From what I’ve seen, it’s easily the best Turtle movie yet," Eastman told MTV. "We’re talking Raid: Redemption-style fight scenes; we’re talking about epic Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes sort of effects.”

“I know that Michael and his group really like [the changes] and that Paramount was supportive of that," he continues, "so I think that it’s great. I grew up reading Captain America and The Avengers and all that stuff, and over the course of the comic book history, since Avengers has been around, how many times has it been reinvented, reformatted, restructured, replatformed?”

Even so… Turtles from space? As the script is still being written no release date has currently been set, allowing plenty more time for increasingly frantic studio reassurances that "everything is going to be okay, honest". Anyone believe them?

Are you keen on the idea of a Turtles reboot? Tell us, below!

Comments

• omgitsgray

Jul 18th 2012, 7:28

Have to say, of course the producers and all the teams will back it- they want jobs and if everyone is reported as being positive, it will make money too... it doesn't make sense for people involved in the project to say the idea is s**t... I also find it irrelevant that Kevin Eastman enjoys the change too- if the inventor of Christmas changed what I knew to be what Christmas is about (presents and a fat guy.. wait, he's an ALIEN?!) I don't think I would enjoy it quite as much... Still... I'll wait for trailers and impartial expert opinions, like everyone else.

• EddieFelson

Jul 18th 2012, 8:35

Best one yet,? that will be hard!

• TheEnigma

Jul 18th 2012, 9:56

I grew up with tha Ninja Turtles, He-Man, Voltron & Bravestarr and i can't wait toi see all those characters given 'proper' Big-screen treatment..! I am a father of 2 young boyz and i think they'd luv tha storylines and characters i grew up with..! Az much az i luv tha Original Turtles, i believe that some of tha ideas and folklore seems a little bit dated for current times..!

• omgitsgray

Jul 18th 2012, 10:55

Dated? The turtles were exposed to radioactive slime, right? Not MUCH of a difference to how Peter Parker got his powers with a similarely unbelievable range of fantasy. Master Splinter was a bit of a push though- he took a considerable amount of suspension-of-reality... but still. I think kids are okay with new ideas but only because the ideas are actually new to them. It's like how kids prefer today's Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus instead of Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and whatever- it's what they've found to be their own- a sort of individuality that they've managed to find themselves after being told what to like by parents/guardians for so long. So naturally, they're encouraging themselves to like it 'cause they're exposed to it more. Same with films- if you update the quality instead of updating the storyline, you'll have better feedback. It's like the new Top Cat film- they have smartphones and robots and it got completely slated. Don't update the storyline, just update the quality. Bring the humour/drama/action to a modern level with everything we know and love. I'm not against change, but some changes are unnecessary because even though changing from mutants to aliens might seem minor, they're not the same 'thing' any more. It raises all sorts of questions about nutrition, unfamiliarity, potential hostility, etc- all things considered by other filmmakers creating a film about aliens. If we can apply a likeness to Hellboy, if that is anything to go by, an other-worldly being raised on Earth by humans does work, but he displays all the traits you'd expect. He has to be protected, he craves specific food (queue the turtles' pizza) ... also, why are they turtles? Alien turtles? Are they shape-shifters? I probably need more information before I judge, but still...

• ilikescifi

Jul 18th 2012, 12:33

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. reboots replatforming etc can be good, the amazing spiderman is a great example of a successful reboot. it's not like the past is forgotten, it's all still there.

• TheShamrock

Jul 18th 2012, 14:07

Won't they have to change the title to 'Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles'?! Anyway, enjoyed the Turtles when I was a kid and I enjoyed the CGI Cartoon film of recent years. As long as it is not 4 guys in suits doing crapola moves like Power Rangers or whatever, then I'm sure it will hit the spot for what it is trying to achieve. No point over analysing a ninja turtle movie. Wonder if they'll make it violent?! Always thought there was potential for a bit of darkness TMNT. PS Why has nobody done a Bravestarr movie yet? That would be awesome.

Jul 18th 2012, 14:23

I would like to add Centurions and Thundercats to the list of awesome-to-be

• TheShamrock

Jul 18th 2012, 15:25

Centurions was class! how about Jace & The Wheeled Warriors?! Oh my god, it would be like Mad Max but with Aliens......get these 2 made now do you hear me Sony, Warner Bros, Paramount anyone! "Power Extreme!"

• FBJRider

Jul 18th 2012, 18:10

It's not the new origin that worries me about this film, it's the director.

• MisterAmj

Jul 18th 2012, 18:58

Bucky O'Hare anyone??

• Aleric

Jul 19th 2012, 16:50

Eastman is the same d****e that talked Laird into letting them b*****dize the original comics into the pablum and c**p that the movies and cartoon became. To let Michael Bay rape another icon of the 80's is simply poetic justice. He made a mess of the Transformers universe and he will turn the turtles into another over CGI'd, explosion filled film with no resemblence of the original source material.