Noomi Rapace confirms Prometheus sequel in the works

Work has reportedly begun on a script

While Prometheusmay have been one of the most divisive movies of 2012, its final reel left plenty of room for a sequel, with Noomi Rapace’s character heading off into space to track down the rest of the Engineers.

And according to Rapace herself, such a sequel may soon be on the way, with the star confirming she has held discussions with director Ridley Scott over a potential return.

“They're working on the script,” confirms Rapace. “I met Ridley in London a couple of weeks ago. I would love to work with him again and I know that he would like to do another one. It's just like we need to find the right story. I hope we will.

“Most people I've talked to who see the movie, see things that are quite different,” continues the star. “There are all these religious aspects and there are very interesting conversations. If we do a second one, there are a lot of things to explore in there and to continue. I would love to do it.”

When asked whether a writer has been hired, Rapace went coy, replying, “You would have to ask someone at the studio who the writer is.” Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Expect this one to run and run…

Would you welcome a Prometheus sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• pingpong

Feb 28th 2013, 9:18

Great, a stapled lady with a head in a bag traveling to god's planet. Can't wait....

• spid2411

Feb 28th 2013, 10:24

Prometheus was a piece of s**t - why bother. It's laughable how people are apparently seeing all these "religious aspects" in a badly written, badly acted and badly directed pile of drivel. There seems to be this attempt to attach intellectual significance to it to try and paper over how bad it was, as if it is somehow up there with proper sci-fi like 2001. It isn't - just more empty headed s**te for the facebook and text speak generation. U c? Lol

• 2Dglasses

Feb 28th 2013, 11:04

If they're going to do this, make it TOTALLY separate to the Alien canon and under no circumstances have more Weyland conspiracy backstab nonsense. And write it well even if that means a less elaborate 'Jaws in space' concept.

• sineadshahrzad

Feb 28th 2013, 11:44

I loved Prometheus, so I can't wait for the sequel!

• FBJRider

Feb 28th 2013, 11:58

I will never understand the hatred for Prometheus. It was a masterpiece.

• Jareth64

Feb 28th 2013, 12:17

Anyone who thinks Prometheus is a "masterpiece" doesn't really understand films; everyon'es entitled to their opnion etc, but a "masterpiece" it never will be. At best the film is distinctly average and a 3/5; its moronic attempts at profundity, dire script, and cliched predictability made it one of the more disappointing films of last year. The sequel needs to go a long way to reach 5/5 status.

• Indianabones

Feb 28th 2013, 12:26

This Screams for a reboot! ;) maybe keep Noomi but with a Swedish accent, I'm sure its not important that she is English

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Feb 28th 2013, 12:46

Wow, so devisive. Cant ever remember such polar opposite opinions on a film. A Masterpiece, no. Bl00dy good, yes. Worth a sequel? Hell yes! I think the reason it was so disappointing to 50% is because of the overhype it received (yes Total Film, I mean you). I watched it 6 months after the hype had stopped and judged it alone. It was ace. Ill remember this as I see TFs daily Star Wars Ep 7 updates

Feb 28th 2013, 13:38

Is anyone else bored of Damon Lindof trying to pass off unanswered questions as ambiguous and mysterious plot holes? Its half-hearted, lazy writing. See also Lost.

• apo1978

Feb 28th 2013, 13:56

Except Lost was awesome. The charaters and actors made up for any unanwered gripes. John Locke is my hero.

• SiMan

Feb 28th 2013, 14:28

But the ending to Lost was the most infuriating thing i've ever experienced with a tv show. @Hadouken's right - it's lazy writing. With regard to Prometheus - it did split opinon (i'm in the "hated it" camp) so it makes me wonder if there ever comes a point where a director/actor, etc, is immune from a turkey of a movie and could get away with it. I'm guessing if Sir Ridley wants to make a sequel, the studio will let him, based purely on his reputation and the films he's made before?

• 2Dglasses

Feb 28th 2013, 15:34

@RaveyDaveyGravey. I, along with many others i suspect, would agree it was bldy good or at least good enough, IF it had nothing to do with the Alien mythology. In its own right, fine, overhyped but looked good. In the Alien saga, made the others weaker as a result, lazy to try and shoehorn in daft ideas where they werent needed. Generally i get the feeling that Alien fans would hate it, non-alien fans would love it. But i accept there will be exceptions to that rule.

• Chufferstud

Feb 28th 2013, 16:08

I don't mind raising my head above the parapet to say that I enjoyed it. It wasn't as great as the hype by any stretch, but it looked amazing and I think its appeal is that it's all a bit odd. But I also think that 2001, Silent Running and recently Moon (to name just a few) are curiosity pieces in the sci-fi genre. Whatever its failings are, it's still a well made piece of film that is way better then a lot of dross that is out there now. I think it's great that a film as caused such passionate debate as it shows the legacy of Alien.

• JoseyWales

Feb 28th 2013, 17:20

I don't know about anyone else but I like my films to make a bit of sense, which Prometheus did not. It had more holes than my sieve and by the end of it I had more unanswered questions than at the beginning. I don't expect every movie to "wrap it up by the end", but please try and give us a decent story and make the film entertaining. Felt like I'd wasted 2 hours of my life watching it. Prometheus 2 needs to far surpass it's predecessor to get my vote.

• Indianabones

Feb 28th 2013, 18:09

The Trouble with Lost, was that all they did was think of crazy, amazing things which would bamboozle all of us, but actually have no answer, so all they did was answer it with another crazy and amazing story! lost was one of the most disappointing shows I have ever put up with. With Prometheus I would have preffered if they had gone and properly linked this with Alien rather than shoe in a link to Alien to try and please the Alien fans!

Feb 28th 2013, 20:31

So tired of people using Damon Lindof as a scapegoat for Prometheus failing to live up to expectations.

• AlfredsDream098

Feb 28th 2013, 21:59

Prometheus was very average to bad. The acting was great from Fassbender and Rapace plus it looked fantastic (visual wise). But it was probably one of the worst written films i've ever seen. Many scenes verged on laughable and most of it was nonsensical. One of my most hated moments in movie history is the reveal of Weyland being Theron's father like no one saw it coming. It was also incredibly lazy!