Pacific Rim comes third at the weekend box office

Guillermo del Toro’s ‘bots vs monsters blockbuster earns $91m worldwide

Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim opened third at the US box office on its opening weekend, coming in below sequels Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2.

All eyes were on Pacific Rim’s performance, as the possibility of a sequel depends on how the film performs. With a $38m take in the states, the sci-fi epic couldn’t top Universal animation DM2 or Adam Sandler’s buddycom.

Perhaps as a result of its international casting/plotting, Pacific Rim is performing solidly overseas, taking an estimated $53m.

While its currently a little early to judge, it looks like the film will require strong word-of-mouth to earn enough to justify a sequel.

Which, given what GdT and the cast had to say on the matter, is a little disappointing…

Pacific Rim is in cinemas now.

Were you disappointed by the weekend’s results? Tell us below…

Comments

• lordsamgillson

Jul 15th 2013, 12:30

The marketing was abysmal and made it look like Godzilla vs Transformers (which it essentially was, with a bit of Inception thrown in for good measure). I saw it and really think it's nothing special. Not sequel worthy in my opinion.

• SiMan

Jul 15th 2013, 13:22

Agreed, watchable and entertaining enough, but not something i'd want to see a franchise born out of.

• Grinch11

Jul 15th 2013, 13:35

Completely agree with both comments. It's nothing we haven't seen before but is being given an easy ride because it's a del Toro film. I was much more disappointed by John Carter's box-office.

Jul 15th 2013, 13:40

I don't care what you think about Pacific Rim I am more concerend with the fact Grown Ups 2 made that much money, America really loves to live up to its stereotype by flocking to see that pile of shikaka.

• pauluswibowo

Jul 15th 2013, 14:23

Maybe this movie wasn't special for somebody, but for me this movie is really special. I've grown up with many anime mecha movies (Mazinger Z, Grandizer, Getter Robo, Evangelion, Patlabor, Gundam, Tetsujin 28, Voltes V, etc) , Kaiju movies (Godzilla, Gamera, Ultra Q), Tokusatsu (ultraman series), & super sentai series and this movie give so many homage to those genres. Watching this movie just like give me back my childhood. The details of mecha and kaijus are awesome too and made me speechless in some moments. Yeah i think this movie pulled out of my geek sense and my childhood memoriesI really hope for the sequel of this movie, maybe with strong plot and characterization so maybe the movie will touching for some casual viewer. (sorry if my english is bad)

• ilikescifi

Jul 15th 2013, 15:03

i am also troubled by the fact it made less than Grown Ups 2

• StevePotter

Jul 15th 2013, 15:23

Anyone who willingly saw "Grown Ups 2" over "Pacific Rim" (and by willingly, I just mean that they didn't see "Grown Ups 2" as part of their job or something) needs to just stop watching movies. Clearly they're doing it wrong. This is worse than when "The House at the End of the Street" beat "Dredd".

• batt101

Jul 15th 2013, 15:24

I'm sure kids will love it, and surely GdT was paying homage to the films he grew up loving. But I also agree it is a sad state of affairs that Grown Ups 2 should even make a cinema release never mind taking 2nd in the US box office.

• barneystinson

Jul 15th 2013, 15:35

This one is really dividing opinion and a couple of days after watching it I'm still of the opinion that it is truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The defence of the movie seems to mainly fall into two camps a) If you don't "get" mecha movies then you won't get that this is a love letter to the genre or b) it's just a dumb summer blockbuster with Robots fighting Monsters - what more do you want than that? To answer both: a) I know nothing of Mecha movies and my only exposure to anime / manga is Akira, so maybe I don't fit into the demographic that should be enjoying this film - but surely a big Hollywood blockbuster should do more than pander to a very niche market? And, if it is a love letter to the genre, did they have to go the whole hog and make the dialogue and acting so risible? b) Yes it is a big dumb blockbuster but as above why does that mean we should put up with awful dialogue and wooden acting? And for that matter why should we put up with "dumb" in our summer blockbusters when we get the sharp and witty dialogue of Iron Man 3, or the head scratching, thought provoking plot gymnastics of Looper or Inception? To defend a movie because it is meant to be dumb is all a bit stupid in itself...movie makers should be pushing the envelope to make our biggest movies more intelligent not dumbing them down to the lowest common denominator....Transformers, Sucker Punch and GI Joe are dumb summer blockbusters and they rightly get lambasted for it. What makes Pacific Rim so special that it can avoid the same level of criticism and loathing? Anything to do with the fact that people are too afraid to criticise the director? A bit like how no one criticised The Phantom Menace of Indy IV until some time after release? There are so many things wrong with this movie that I can't begin to understand why anyone is defending it. So to clear things up here's what I had issues with. Defend away... 1. The dialogue is ultra cheesy. Every sentence is devoid of wit or warmth to the extent that I was wondering whether a Hollyoaks writer was involved and the comedy falls flat every single time. Christ, every line stinks in this movie. 2. The acting is abysmal across the board. Idris Elba shouts a lot but never commands the screen, Charlie Hunnam is so one note he makes Keanu Reeves look like 70s De Niro. Robert Kazinsky's mispronunciation of Raleigh in a forced Australian accent like some sort of pathetic school bully grates constantly...there's a reason he started out in soaps, he should have stayed there. Knowing how to glower does not make you an actor. Charlie Day I normally love but his wild overacting screams of student improvisation (he did have one good scene with Perlman though). I've never come across Burn Gorman before but his portrayal of a mad scientist seemed to come from another movie entirely. Rinko Kikuchi was ok I guess although you got a lot more insight into her character from the child actress who played her character in flashback (in fact, the flashback involving her as a little girl cowering from a Kaiju was probably the only bit of the movie I enjoyed). 3. The tone is muddled throughout. One minute it's ultra serious (every time Elba is on screen and during the prologue) then tongue-in-cheek B-movie pastiche (every time Hunnam says anything - I thought he'd been drafted in from Starship Troopers where his limited range and dialogue would have worked) and then out and out comedy, which never seems to work. It's jarring, nonsensical and really really annoying. 4. For a film which has been praised for it's visuals there wasn't a great deal to be impressed by. I saw it in 2D and even in that format the fight scenes were muddled, muddy and lacked a sense of realism (it just felt like watching someone else playing a computer game), the much heralded sense of scale really only amounts to a bombastic score and lots of slow pans over the robots (Michael Bay actually did this better in the first Transformers movie - yes really!"). You can't tell the monsters or the machines apart during the action scenes making emotional investment in the fights impossible. The final fight seemed to involve more monsters than was mentioned and I truly couldn't tell who or what had been killed from one dark, murky (and extremely loud) scene to the next. The less said about the end sequence as Gipsy Danger enters the Kaijus' universe the better - what a wasted opportunity to really show the scale of the impending invasion and the level of threat that needed to be thwarted. 5. During certain parts of the film I couldn't tell the difference between Kazinsky and Hunnam or Gorman and Clifton Collins Jr...and to be honest, I wasn't invested in the characters so I didn't care. 6. There was an abundance of lapses of logic that I couldn't get past a) how did just 4 helicopters carry the huge Jaegers? b) Why did no one else use their escape pods? c) Why did Gipsy Danger take so long to use it's sword? d) Why didn't Gipsy Danger seem to be affected at all by the nuclear explosion caused by Striker Eureka? e) Why did Idris Elba think he would be compatible to pilot Striker Eureka with Kazinsky? He seemed to have piloted with Herc Hanson in the past but it seemed fairly established that father and son were very different characters - surely the neural link between the two wouldn't have worked? f) Mako seemed to get over her inability to neural link successfully with Raleigh very quickly...surely he'd have been safer with someone else on such an important mission? g) How the f**k was one of the monsters pregnant - weren't they all clones and therefore had no need to breed? (and how did a baby who was not a clone have all the knowledge of his alien brethren to give Day and Gorman?) h) Why didn't the Jaegers stand back at a safe distance and just blast the monsters? Hand to Hand combat seemed to be pretty risky (considering only one Jaeger is left by the end) bad military planning from Idris Elba's character? i) Come to think of it, there's a lot of insubordination from various rank and file towards Elba's character. Surely a court marshal would be in order rather than the honour of piloting a Jaeger? Elba's character seems to be a pretty weak leader in all honesty j) The Chinese Jaeger got beat pretty damn easily for something that was supposed to be the superior mecha? Wouldn't it have been better to have seen it go down in a blaze of glory unable to fend off countless monsters rather than getting b***h slapped by one? k) How the f**k did that little boat at the start manage to stay afloat? l) Where did Ron Perlman get the knowhow to build the tech to neural link with a monster? And, if he did, is it all his fault that the monsters are still attacking - are they trying to find him? If so why did the baby eat him but the parent left Charlie Day alone? None of it makes sense!!! Lapses of logic are what caused Prometheus to be such a risible movie and it worries me that we are truly lacking in any intelligent sci-fi currently. People seem happy to just go "yeah it doesn't make sense but it looks amazing" and of course Hollywood will be happy to keep delivering the same old schlock. This and Oblivion have been two of the worst written movies I've seen this year (I didn't even bother to watch After Earth). I'm just hoping Elysium restores my faith in the genre. I'm sure there is a really great movie to be had from the premise and I actually thought there were glimpses of this in the pre-credits scenes. A movie about the pilots and their thirst for fame (and their eventual near-defeat) and the public's enchantment with the Kaiju (the toys / Day's tattoo / Perlman's whole business enterprise) would have had more emotional depth and fleshed out the idea of robots Vs monsters a whole lot better.

• spid2411

Jul 15th 2013, 16:15

Grown Ups 2 beats Pacific Rim = f*****g joke. So bored of dullards flocking to see risible s**t with their awful kids and therefore encouraging studios to churn out MORE risible s**t and sell toys to said kids. There is something wrong when mediocrity like Iron Man 3 makes 1.2 billion dollars and a film like Dredd doesn't even reach what it cost to make (50 million). Bottom line is there are just to many idiots about these days with zero taste or even a basic level of intelligence, hence the popularity of Adam Sandler films and reality TV.

• dex2010

Jul 15th 2013, 16:24

I'm not surprised it did'nt top the box office. I would'nt trust Total Films review of it. They are best mates with Del Toro. It was better than I thought it would be, but it's nothing special. 3stars

• Jaffa

Jul 15th 2013, 18:05

It's pretty stupid to say that people who went to see Grown ups 2 are stupid. The reason it made 40 million is that it appeals to very young kids cause it's bright and senseless. And when very young kids go see a film, they are brought by their parents, who also have to buy a ticket each. At the end of the day, Pacific Rim was always a box office long shot that would live or die on its international take.

• StevePotter

Jul 16th 2013, 0:43

Very young kids deserve more than just "bright and senseless." Kids deserve more credit than they get, and their parents should be a bit more judicious with their entertainment. If "Grown Ups 2" is the best that they can find for their kids, they should just stay home and play a board game. Maybe rent something from Redbox, pick up a pizza, still save money. Simple as that.