Pacific Rim will be released in 3D

Despite Guillermo del Toro's previous apprehension

Despite the fact that Guillermo del Toro was initially hesitant to release Pacific Rim in 3D, Warner Bros has announced that the film will now be post-converted.

The film will receive the three-dimensional treatment in post production, but director Guillermo del Toro had previously been of the opinion that the film wouldn't be well suited to the technology.

"I didn’t want to make the movie 3D," said del Toro at this year's Comic-Con, "because when you have things that big, the thing that happens naturally is you’re looking at two buildings at 300 feet. If you move, the buildings don’t go like this (moves his hands closer together), there’s no parallax."

"They’re so big that you barely notice anything no matter how fast you’re moving, so to force the 3D effect on robots and monsters that are supposed to be that height, you’re making them miniaturised, you’re making them human-scale. I knew that the 3D effect sounded like a great idea, but it was gonna be counter."

However, Warner will be keen to boost the financial return from the project, and with China currently only releasing American films if they are in 3D or IMAX, and a lot of the film's action taking place in Asia, the decision was probably a no-brainer.

Still, western audiences will get the option to choose their preference between 2D and 3D. Pacific Rim opens in the UK on 12 July 2013.

Will you be seeing this one in 2D or 3D? Tell us, below!

Comments

• jamestaggart

Sep 13th 2012, 12:44

I'm done with 3D. It's a gimmick that just annoys me and makes everything darker. Pointless.

• nickreede

Sep 13th 2012, 13:18

I'm done with 3D haters. They are a gimmick that just annoys 3D lovers and make the world darker. Pointless. Seriously though, ts just down to a matter of choice and as long as you have the option for both I dont see what the problem is......move on I will be watching and buying this in 3D

• ChrisWootton

Sep 13th 2012, 13:56

Hope it's not rubbish then :)

• McSerious

Sep 13th 2012, 15:21

I hope 2D versions will be available.

• ilikescifi

Sep 13th 2012, 17:32

I love 3D but very wary of conversions.

Sep 13th 2012, 18:00

The studio will have forced this.

• thedanieljson

Sep 14th 2012, 0:32

I love 3D films... However, I do NOT like the sound of this. If Del Toro says it's not right, I trust his opinion. The man's a genius. As Ali1748 says, the studio seems to have pushed this, and post conversion is notoriously c**p.

• ariboy

Sep 14th 2012, 12:14

Films intentionally made in 3D can be great. Avatar proved this (I'm talking about the 3D here, not the script/story which is subjective). However, films which are subsequently post-converted into 3D just suck. I don't know much about this movie, but would now only bother seeking out the 2D version.

• SiMan

Sep 14th 2012, 12:47

I agree that as long as studios are releasing both 2-D and 3-D versions, we can't really complain as we have the choice. The problem is that more and more studios are making the 3-D version the main attraction and the 2-D screenings are becoming less and less, or shown at inconveneint times. My local cinema only showed Dredd in 3-D. I don' t even know if there was a 2-D version of that film.

• niborsky

Nov 28th 2012, 20:24

I'll see the 2D at Guillermo's suggestion!!!