Paul W.S. Anderson talks Resident Evil 5

“The undead ride motorbikes and shoot machine guns”

Director Paul W.S. Anderson starts shooting Resident Evil: Retribution in a week's time so he had plenty to say about the project during an interview with Collider.

“We’re bringing in the Las Plagas parasite, which I love because it allows the undead to basically run around, ride motorbikes and shoot machine guns, which no one’s done before,” he said.

Anderson also explained how one action sequence would be lifted from the game, albeit with a change of vehicle.

“There’s a great action sequence which we’ve been inspired by from the fifth game, which is where the characters are driving in a Hummer through the desert and they’re being chased by zombies shooting machine guns on motorbikes. We’ve taken that and we’ve kind of run with it. We’re not gonna use a Hummer this time we’re gonna use a Rolls Royce Phantom, cause no one’s ever done a car chase with a Rolls Royce Phantom before. And I’ve discovered why, because it’s really, really expensive.”

He also explained the thinking behind the introduction of new characters from the games into the film.

“[The new characters] is something that’s kind of come out of Milla [Jovovich] and I talking to fans, feeling the characters that people wanted to come in. [We chose] three of those that seem to be the fan-favourites that we’d never touched on: Leon Kennedy, Ada Wong, and Barry Burton,” Anderson said.

“We really went out of our way to get people who looked as much like their characters as possible from the game. This actor Johann Urb, who I’m very excited to be working with, not only is he a really good actor but he looks like Leon Kennedy. I mean you put photographs of them side-by-side, it’s almost like he was manufactured by Capcom.”

Check out the full interview below...

Will including the Las Plagas parasite improve this series? Or can what is effective in a videogame look silly when it's on the big screen? Also, do you love the Urb as much as Anderson does? Tell us below!

Comments

• writerdave87

Oct 3rd 2011, 13:49

I'm beginning to think that the only way to stop Paul WS Anderson making these s**t films is to cut off his head, burn his corpse and salt the ashes before casting them into running water. Seriously, he's more difficult to get rid of than Dalidab.

• clearwriter

Oct 3rd 2011, 14:08

"The zombies ride motorbikes and shoot machine guns" "The predator's claw blades are longer in this one" "s**t GET'S ALL VIOLENT AND COOL" This guy is devoid of any artistic merit. The quote for this news sums up his whole approach as a "filmmaker". Like a moron, I have gone to see these films out of genuine love for the games and Kim Coats for the last one. BAD NEWS.

• ChrisWootton

Oct 3rd 2011, 14:53

“[The new characters] is something that’s kind of come out of Milla [Jovovich] and I talking to fans, feeling the characters that people wanted to come in." Sounds like the only person he's called for advice is dalidab

• FBCMartin

Oct 3rd 2011, 15:04

its going to be rubbish, they need to give it a rest with the resident evil movies, way to many when even the first ones is terrible

• Hughesy

Oct 3rd 2011, 15:14

What he needs to do is step down from the franchise & let someone willing to take on an actual storyline from one of the games, or even start again from scratch. It just seems like hes going to further afield with his films. The whole film series needs to be reborn just like what Christopher Nolan did with Batman! For starters he needs to make it an 18 cert & make it hella gory like a proper zombie flick should be! Maybe he should go take advice from George Romero & see where that gets him!

• 7amandapanda7

Oct 3rd 2011, 15:30

Exactly what 'fans' did they speak to? Last time I checked all the RE fans hated him

• fipthetop

Oct 3rd 2011, 15:32

Without Hollywood rebooting everything left right and centre - why not rebooot the hell out of this?!! Done properly, this could be awesome - a sort of Bourne mixed with the Walking Dead. I'll even goes as far to say keep Milla Jovovich - she's not half bad.

• alexr

Oct 3rd 2011, 16:29

The really annoying thing with the RE series is that each new lousy installment seems to make more money than the last lousy installment. I loved the Resident Evil games (well, RE Directors Cut, RE 2, and RE 4), and I did understand the ned to make the first game 'a little bit different' from the game series - but completely changing the storylines? Creating a whole new character as the focal point? Not only making a s**t original, but 700 s**t sequels too? Come on!!! The only thing this series has going for it is that certain members of the Total Film forum are not working in the Casting department, otherwise we could have a whole movie based around Alice killing off a huge horde of zombified Justin Bieber clones...actually, I might pay to watch THAT movie...

• Indianabones

Oct 3rd 2011, 16:59

Could you imagine the conversation between Romero and Anderson....... 'hi I'm Paul Anderson, I have made some Zombie films and thought we could exchange some ideas' 'Boom' Shotgun noise Romero walks off to a screaming and cheering mob

• DravenCage

Oct 3rd 2011, 17:31

@writerdave87 - "The only way to stop Paul WS Anderson making these s**t films" isn't to do what you said. If people didn't pay to see them, then they wouldn't continue making them (which is the same for virtually every movie franchise in existence - if they didn't make the studio money, they were discontinued; even if this was a terrible thing for those of us who frequent the online domains). I disliked the fourth film, but enjoyed the first three, mainly because I disassociated them from the games' storylines and watched them under the pretext that they are a variant (like an alternate universe idea most beloved by comics and sci-fi). This is a good idea in principal because not everyone has played the games, so to cater just for that section of the public could severely limit your audience. There's enough from the games in there to cater to our section of the audience (old characters turning up across the length of the series, a pretty accurate - at least aesthetically - interpretation of Nemesis, etc), so let's not get greedy. In general, if you (that's the communal "you", not just writerdave87) don't want to watch it, then don't watch it. If enough of you do that, then the studio will look at alternative options.

• anant

Oct 3rd 2011, 17:50

please stop ruining it even further. reboot it, we want racc**n city police department and we want the real leon and jill and all others. and @indianabones lol! Anderson should make that call!!

• writerdave87

Oct 3rd 2011, 18:04

That's the thing though, I'm a massive fan of the games and though I didn't mind the first two, subsequent films are absolutely terrible. it's not just me disliking them, it's a huge portion of the resident evil fanbase. I have genuinely no idea who is going to see it, as every resi fan I know unequivocally hate what PWS Anderson has done with the franchise! I really wish I was able to influence what films are successful or not, but sadly I don't ;)

• Indianabones

Oct 3rd 2011, 20:06

unfortunately these movies have made an awful lot of money, and to me is a prime example of what is wrong with films/movie goers, it kinda caters for the people that have the attention of a Gnat, like the Transformer movies, story line is not needed just lots of violence and just making sure there is so much going on every second that you don't need a story. To be fair I gave up on these films after half way through the 3rd one, and in all honesty I feel i should have given up after the first one. Though it is my opinion and each to their own and I can't argue if it makes money, but not my money

Oct 3rd 2011, 20:28

If anything, these films give the games a bad name, anyone who has played RE 4 will know the superior sense of unease and dread that the game conveys. Nothing at all to do with hot babes running down halls shooting at CGI AGAIN and AGAIN, with zero suspense or terror. Anderson has squandered all the good faith and potential he built with Event Horizon and turned his career into a legacy of sh/t, luckily for him the sound of mooing cashcows hes been milking drowns out the laughter.

• Murphy0806

Oct 3rd 2011, 21:36

They are all bad films and they really should at the very least take a break form them for a while but as mentioned above they make money so that wont happen. I'm really surprised how many people are actually sticking up for the first film here. Zero tension, dumb protagonists (how long does it take them to realise they need to shoot them in the head!), a scene pretty much lifted from Cube and don't even get me started on Alice going all Trinity on those dogs. But what got to me more than all that was the memory loss storyline. A lazy, overused, TV programme way of drip feeding us info.

• Trickycustomer

Oct 4th 2011, 8:09

Somebody stop him now he's totally lost the point of the series! It's not James bond! Tool!

• alexr

Oct 4th 2011, 8:18

Capcom and Shinji Mikami both called, Mr Anderson. They want their money train back...

• Trickycustomer

Oct 4th 2011, 9:23

Attention total film staff you should do a interview with Anderson read him some of these comments then write what he says. Maybe he'll get the hint :-) plus it would be funny :-)

• QuietLife

Oct 4th 2011, 9:38

What happened on the set of Event Horizon??? Did they actually let someone else direct it by mistake? That was awesome but the utter sh!te this bell-end has made since is embarrassing. I think I've seen most of these cruddy films and the only bit I can remember is that Laser-cutting-the-bloke-from-Bond in half. Even that was cr@p. End it!

• Siban1982

Oct 5th 2011, 13:51

This guy simply won't quit but I can't wait for someone really good to come along and show him how it's meant to be done, much in the way Christopher Nolan did with Batman. "The undead ride motorbikes and shoot machine guns" - was he dribbling when he said that do you think? He's simply doing it for the money with very little interest in being artistic or creating a remotely terrifying horrific experience. Millia should know better by now, what a wasted talent she's turned out to be.