Paul W.S. Anderson will direct Resident Evil 6

Director returning to finish the second trilogy

In news that should surprise precisely no one, Paul W.S. Anderson has been confirmed to be returning to the director’s chair for Resident Evil 6.

Ever since Sony revealed that they would be pressing on with another episode in the series, it has seemed unlikely that anyone else would be considered for the gig, and sure enough, Anderson has agreed to return for round six.

Anderson had always said that he would like to complete a second trilogy of the survival horror franchise, and it seems that he will now get his wish, with Milla Jovovich also expected to return in the lead.

No word as yet on title, plot or supporting cast, but it's thought that barring a huge success at the box office, this will likely be the last instalment in the series.

That said, the last film scored $221m globally (from an estimated $65m), proving that the franchise is still commercially viable, so don’t be surprised if we aren’t witnessing the death rattle for zombie-based mayhem just yet…

Resident Evil 6 will open in the US on 12 September 2014

Are you interested in another Resident Evil? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Seedorf

Mar 14th 2013, 11:29

Finding out that Paul W S Anderson is going to direct yet another RE film is not surprising. Finding out the last film made $221m, is! Who are these brain dead people that payed to watch such a tragically bad film?! It was much worse than any of the previous films, and ranks alongside Owe Boll's efforts. It's a little worrying when good films can make little to no profit, yet bilge like this keeps on raking in the cash.

• zxcomplex

Mar 14th 2013, 11:33

Please God make it stop!!!!

• ilikescifi

Mar 14th 2013, 11:48

@seedoof me was one who pay and they are awesome, they make excellent use of 3D, most have a good sense of timing and pace and employ good actors. I find RE strangely more satisfying than many other films of similar genre as a cinema experience. Way more than underworld series

• RAClements

Mar 14th 2013, 12:19

It's better than Underworld? Not much of an arguement for quality there! That's not exactly Goodfellas is better than The Godfather..!

• MoodyMonkey

Mar 14th 2013, 12:21

Dalidab will be pleased...

• TheDigitalZombi

Mar 14th 2013, 12:22

It doesn't surprise me. Capcom have been molesting the corpse of the franchise for years now too.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Mar 14th 2013, 12:51

Jesus, do people actually still watch this cr@p?

• lukeworm100

Mar 14th 2013, 14:21

I openly admit, this is by far the worst movie franchise of all time in my opinion. How it makes so much money, I will never know.

• marc96

Mar 14th 2013, 14:24

I went to see the first 2 films luckily I haven't given them any of my money since, it's amazing how c**p they have gotten (yes I know they were never great in the first place)

• trist808

Mar 14th 2013, 14:41

They make money internationally! Simple as that. In the US and here in the UK they are usually only a week or so at the box office and then gone. But in certain territories (China, Korea for instance) 3D is huge and it doesn't matter what the film is, the audiences just love the tech, so they'll go out and see even bilge like Resi Evil. The last two films have been great international successes due to the 3D element and the fact that each film seems to end on a cliffhanger means they are always looking to do another one. Retribution ended with an assault on the White House with Alice and whoever was left facing an army of undead thingys ... I can't remember it all in detail, it was all so forgettable, anyway, even then I knew "Sept 2014, there'll be a part 6, guaranteed" and Anderson was always the obvious choice. I know many people don't like him, but this is a bonefide successful franchise and he brings them in under budget, on time and they make profit ... even if it fails at the UK box office (again) it won't matter ... world-wise B/O means part 7 is inevitable.

• trist808

Mar 14th 2013, 14:42

*world-wide :-)

• irishbrian

Mar 14th 2013, 16:30

Now Be Gentle With Me ..... There One Of My Guilty Pleasures...! There So Bad ,There Good ! In An Admittedly Odd Way. I Would Not Part With My Hard Earned At The Cinema Though, There Best Viewed Through A Semi Drunken Haze On A Saturday Night With A Large Plate Of Whatever I Manage To Mumble To The Chap At The Curry House :)

• pingpong

Mar 14th 2013, 18:11

"No word as yet on title, plot or supporting cast..." As if anyone cares for these things anyway.

Mar 15th 2013, 8:08

Never in a million years did I expect this series to reach six movies.

• tommywood

Mar 16th 2013, 16:18

Oh please make it stop!! I know I don't have to watch but still......END!!!!! I bet Andersons inspiration is Michael Bay

• Growler

Mar 16th 2013, 17:36

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I really enjoy these films in a kind of leave-your-brain-at-the-door kind of way and will gladly pay to see this at the cinema if - and only if - It's available to watch in 2D, otherwise, as with the last one, I'll wait for the Blu-Ray release. They entertain me, so I'm happy to see another one in the pipeline.