Pete Postlethwaite dies aged 64

Actor passes away in Shropshire

Pete Postlethwaite

British acting legend and proper gentleman Pete Postlethwaite has passed away aged 64.

The actor, who has appeared in a great variety of films and was nominated for an Oscar in 1994 for In The Name of The Father, died “peacefully” yesterday in a hospital in Shropshire.

Postlethwaite had been undergoing treatment for cancer, and had continued working throughout that period.

He was once called “the best actor in the world” by Steven Spielberg, who Postlethwaite worked with in Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

In 2010, he appeared in Inception and The Town, while previous credits include The Constant Gardener, Brassed Off, Romeo + Juliet and The Usual Suspects.

In 2009, Postlethwaite starred in climate change film The Age Of Stupid, telling Total Film of the new awareness he hoped the film would bring about: “Ignorance, lack of awareness of the situation is one of the biggest things. Evil is what happens when good people do nothing.”

He also told us about his appearance on stage in King Lear, which he brought to the London Vic in 2009 and was one of his last ever stage appearances.

“We’re playing to a packed house every night and that’s very rewarding. It’s a tough old show, it’s a good long journey.”

What was your favourite Postlethwaite film? Tell us below...

Comments

• mcghater

Jan 3rd 2011, 10:36

rip pete your talent will be missed, unlike the tool who says you were 6

• DonisFun

Jan 3rd 2011, 11:12

Amazing in everything he acted in, he had the same scene stealing power as De Niro and Pacino, RIP hope your family can get through this hard time.

• dunnus

Jan 3rd 2011, 11:16

RIP Personally I loved his performances in Sharpe as the villian Hakeswill Brilliant!!!

• minorityreport

Jan 3rd 2011, 11:47

RIP sir. Loved him in The Usual Suspects and Romeo + Juliet

• Toursiveu

Jan 3rd 2011, 17:08

I loved him in In the Name of the Father but he was great in every movie he ever did, whether the film was good or not. He was the best thing in The Lost World (under-appreciated movie btw), I loved his Achab-like Roland. And Brassed Off has become a minor classic over the years. A beloved actor has gone. Sad. R.I.P. Sir.

• Toursiveu

Jan 3rd 2011, 17:08

• Colly

Jan 3rd 2011, 17:51

Very sad news!! I was watching Soloman Kane today which starred Pete I made a comment to my girlfriend about how good a actor he is then I read he passed away! RIP Pete.

• matty2392

Jan 3rd 2011, 17:57

RIP very talented in whatever role he played Will be sorely missed

• Monkeynuts30

Jan 3rd 2011, 21:08

RIP Mr, Postlethwaite Your talent, class and genius will be sorely missed by all A true british legend and gentleman

• Melbob26

Jan 3rd 2011, 21:32

The Shipping News!

• husker666

Jan 5th 2011, 18:33

Personally I was mesmerised by the charactor he played in distant lives, still voices an absolutely brilliant performance. And the first thing I saw him in was a british play on t the muscle market opposite alison steadman and I have followed his trajectory ever since. A sad loss to the acting proffesion R.I.P. Pete.