Philip Seymour Hoffman offered a role in Catching Fire

Lionsgate want him for Plutarch Heavensbee

Catching Fire is set to arrive in cinemas in just over a year's time, so its no surprise to learn that Lionsgate are looking to do their casting for the Hunger Games sequel as quickly as they possibly can.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is the latest big name to be linked with the film, after the studio offered him the role of Pluto Heavensbee, the new gamemaker who steps into Seneca Crane's shoes, after the latter was rather forcibly encouraged to step down.

Whether or not Hoffman takes the role remains to be seen (and given he hasn't made a franchise movie since Mission: Impossible 3 back in 2006, it seems a tad unlikely), but it does at least give some indication of the studio's ambition for Catching Fire.

Another key role waiting to be filled is that of former tribute turn womanising reprobate, Finnick Odair, a part that was spuriously linked to Robert Pattinson earlier in the year. Garrett Hedlund and Armie Hammer are also names that have been thrown into the hat, only for the stars themselves to refute all knowledge of any such developments.

Whoever Lionsgate end up going for, they want to get a move on. New director Francis Lawrence is already having to work to an immensely tight time-frame, so the sooner he gets his cast together, the better. Catching Fire opens in the UK on 22 November 2013.

Would Hoffman be a good fit for the part? And who do you like for Odair? Tell us, below...

Comments

• EddieFelson

Jun 12th 2012, 9:23

I liked the film and hope it sets up In an insomnia fuled night I begrudgingly watched "the Getaway" which Phillip was in (credited without the Seymour) terrible film but he was the best thing in it! I love this actor hopefully he will not choose to do this movie unless he is raising cash for a real project. To all the the Hunger Game fans (if he is in it) please enjoy a real actor at work.

• EddieFelson

Jun 12th 2012, 9:23

"I liked the film and hope it sets up" Please ignore!

• philipjamesd

Jun 12th 2012, 16:21

I like this. Plutarch is quite a complex character in the books and an actor of this calibre will have no trouble bringing out he different shades of his character. I've always liked Phillip Seymour Hoffman, he'd be a great addition, to an already decent cast.

• Ichi1

Jun 12th 2012, 20:19

"To all the the Hunger Game fans (if he is in it) please enjoy a real actor at work." What a completely retarded thing to say. So Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci, Toby Jones, Woody Harrelson, and Donald friggin' Sutherland are not "real actors"?

Jun 12th 2012, 21:37

I like the face the characters sound like either Carebears or Na'vi bowel obstructions

• FBSHarrigan

Jun 13th 2012, 18:45

I have never read the books and still have yet to see the movie, but Hoffman was phenomenal in the Big Lebowski, so I am for him being in any film really. I will be awesome to see him in charge of other human's lives. http://www.videodetective.com/movies/the-big-lebowski/7456#.T9jfNLWWeJQ

• EddieFelson

Jun 14th 2012, 8:53

Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci, Toby Jones? I dont think they are good actors, doesnt make me retarded.