New Power Rangers movie announced

Go, go power rangers!

Power Rangers fans, it's time to get that motorcycle helmet you spray-painted pink / blue / red / gold / black / yellow down from the attic - Lionsgate are teaming with Saban brands to bring the franchise back to the big screen.

Perhaps inspired by the success of Transformers (who will be bringing robot dinosaurs to cinemas this summer), Lionsgate have plans to turn the Rangers (teenagers who turn into dinosaur-themed superheroes / robots to protect the world from evil aliens) into a multi-picture franchise.

The deal was revealed by Haim Saban and Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer.

“Lionsgate is the perfect home for elevating our Power Rangers brand to the next level,” said Saban. “They have the vision, marketing prowess and incredible track record in launching breakthrough hits from ‘The Hunger Games’ to ‘Twilight’ and ‘Divergent.’”

Meanwhile, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said: “We’re thrilled to be partnering with Haim Saban and his team to maximize the potential of this immensely successful and universally recognized franchise. The Power Rangers stories and characters have been embraced by generations of audiences for more than 20 years, and today they are more powerful than ever.”

And, hey, no matter what, it has to be better than the last one.

Excited? Tell us below!

Comments

• dex2010

May 7th 2014, 15:42

was there not one called PACIFIC RIM last year? And it was c**p! lol

• moviemind91

May 7th 2014, 17:17

They screwed up Transformers and by the looks of it they have done the same with TMNT. So PLEASE be good and stick to what made the show appeal to millions of kids in the '90s.

• QuietLife

May 8th 2014, 7:59

Pink ranger? Schwiiing!

• Kellend11

May 8th 2014, 9:24

I hope they follow the original Power Rangers and not the new ninja/soldier/whatever ones. I also hope they have the original theme tune. Loved that tune.

• moviemykel

May 9th 2014, 0:08

Being a huge Mighty Morphin Power Rangers fan who watched the series religiously and still have my toys to this day, I must say this movie was my life. I still have it quoted. This fail video was so funny that I didn't even notice. It was a great kids movie. The things I love about this movie was the fact they have new armored-looking suits with detail and got rid of the straight spandex. I love the fact it wasn't like the TV series, it branched out and became it's own. I still think the Ivan Ooze is the evilest villain ever seen on the Power Rangers. I'm really excited for this reboot because this time they will make it stand alone I think. The movie was in between Seasons 2 & 3 so it was a great segway. Now this new movie will take a new direction. With today's technology in cgi I'm really excited about that. I hope it's great graphics like the Transformers and some bad a*s theme song remix. I hope their suits are bad a*s but true. Overall I really hope they stay true, but not disappointing. As a creative person I have great ideas for this movie and really happy they are gonna give us something extraordinary.

• Trooper88

May 9th 2014, 14:47

Power Rangers could be good if casting is right. If taken seriously might be ok. I vote for Chloe Grace Moretz for the Pink Ranger! Perfect! Too many of these adaptations to film turn out to be rubbish, mainly due to inattention to casting. Obviously script has to be upgraded too. Be interesting if it does actually get to film