Producer Dean Devlin talks Independence Day 2

Says he and Roland Emmerich have "cracked it"

Given the way it annihilated the box office back in 1996, it's always seemed inevitable that a sequel to Independence Day might roll along sooner or later, and according to producer Dean Devlin, we might not have to wait to much longer for it to arrive.

"I hope so," says Devlin of the possibility of a sequel. "I can't say that it's going to happen, but I can say for the first time that for the first time in eleven years, Roland Emmerich and I are working together."

"There are a lot of moving pieces that are coming together," he continues. "I don't know if it will come together, but we want it to happen. This is the first time since we made the original that Roland and I are excited about doing it and feeling like we have the right idea and we have our fingers crossed."

An Independence Day sequel has long been rumoured, but according to Devlin, he and Emmerich have only now come up with an idea that could do justice to the original film.

"Over the years everyone has always asked us about it," he says. "We never wanted to do it unless it felt germane to the story. In fact, 10 years ago I was hired to write a sequel to Independence Day and they paid me a lot of money. After I finished the script, I gave the money back and I said, 'Don't even read the script. The script is okay, but we can't make an okay sequel to Independence Day. The fans deserve better than this.'"

"And I really decided then that I was never going to do a sequel. Until about a year and a half ago when Roland called me up and said, 'Let's try again.' So we went out to Palm Springs and we cracked it. We said, 'That's a real sequel. That's a sequel that makes sense to do. That's a sequel that won't disappoint the fans. That one feels like we always intended to do that in the first place.' So I want it to happen. I don't know if it will."

In the meantime, the original Independence Day has been pencilled in for a 3D reissue, with the film opening in the US on 3 July 2013 and a UK date to be confirmed.

Would you be keen on an Independence Day sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

Jul 27th 2012, 11:44

ID4 2?

• Agent69

Jul 27th 2012, 13:29

"The script is okay, but we can't make an okay sequel to Independence Day. The fans deserve better than this." Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

• pingpong

Jul 27th 2012, 15:43

Yeah right. And they beards didn't want to make a fourth Indiana Jones until they had the perfect script.

• SiMan

Jul 27th 2012, 16:25

I'm up for this. Never made sense that the Alien's would send their entire civilization with the first spaceships. Surely that was just the attack force/advance party. Bring us on some more sh*t being blown up! Sure i read a brief synopsis years ago about how they used the alien technology to setup a kind of space defence grid (or something) and when the aliens (did they actually ever get given a name in cinema culture terms? or are they just 'the aliens form Independence Day?) come back they manage to break through.......then i guess it's the same plot as the first one. Hmm, maybe i can see why they didn't do it. - Although i always thought they could do a tv show instead; Independence Day: Invasion - and have it like a modern day Band of Brothers. But with aliens.

Jul 27th 2012, 17:16

This time we invade their planet !!!

• mattburgess

Jul 28th 2012, 9:47

"Welcome to Epsillon Signeia 8!"

• alexr

Jul 31st 2012, 8:43

Need a new Occupation Day?