Producer talks Blade Runner sequel and Point Break remake

Andrew Kosove spills the beans

The trend for remakes, reboots and sequels shows no sign of abating in 2012, with Alcon Entertainment producer Andrew Kosove giving an update on the upcoming makeovers for Blade Runner and Point Break.

With regards to the Blade Runner project, Kosove refused to confirm how exactly the new film will take shape, but insisted that an announcement will be made sooner rather than later.

“It’s moving forward aggressively in development,” he told The Playlist. “Sometime in the first two months of the new year we'll announce who the screenwriter will be and whether or not it's a prequel or sequel. And then we'll be off to the races.”

One thing we do know is that Point Break will be a remake of Kathryn Bigelow’s testosterone-drenched action flick. However, surfing might not be so key to the story this time around.

“Surfing is a part of it,” begins Kosove, “but I will tell you that we believe firmly, in terms of remaking a film like this, we've got to make it fresh. It's not a literal remake of the original the way Footloose was - it was identical to the original film! [Our version] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports. But surfing is very, very prominent in the story."

Kosove confirmed that he expects Point Break to go into production in 2012, with a director reportedly having been earmarked by Alcon to take the project forward. We’ll let you know just who that might be, as soon as we find out…

Would you rather see the Blade Runner sequel or Point Break remake? Or should they both be left well alone? Tell us your thoughts, below.

Comments

• koolerking

Jan 3rd 2012, 10:15

Ah, 2012. The year of cocking up all the classics.

• Shakesfirst

Jan 3rd 2012, 12:09

If they've got to do it then remake Point Break and leave Blade Runner alone. I didn't mind Point Break but I've only seen it all the way through once or twice while Blade Runner is a genuine modern classic.

• trist808

Jan 3rd 2012, 13:47

I thought Blade Runner was supposed to be a sequel not a remake. Ridley Scott continuing the story I would be interested in, some hack remaking or rebooting, I would not. Some films just should not be touched, you can't improve perfection. Even Ridley himself tried with his Director's Cut ... I still prefer the original version I saw, which just blew my mind way back in the mid-80's as a young teen watching a VHS copy of a film that would change my view-point on what cinema/films could offer.

• writerdave87

Jan 3rd 2012, 14:13

The final cut of Blade Runner is the best version of the movie though ;)

• PorkChop81

Jan 3rd 2012, 14:16

Didn't they already remake Point Break? I think it was called The Fast and the Furious...

• leeroy

Jan 3rd 2012, 21:04

Blade runner is an untouchable masterpiece.The final cut is THE definitve version.A flawless master-class in moviemaking.Point break i couldn't give a s**t about.