Quentin Tarantino comments on Ben Affleck as Batman

“Batman is not a very interesting character”

Never one to pull any punches, Quentin Tarantino has become the latest Hollywood commentator to have his say on the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman, with the director seeming lukewarm towards the whole affair.

Pleasingly for Affleck however, is the fact that it isn’t the actor that leaves QT cold: it’s the character…

“I have to admit that I don’t really have an opinion,” said Tarantino, when posed the inevitable Affleck question. “Why? Because Batman is not a very interesting character. For any actor.”

“There is simply not much to play,” he continues. “I think Michael Keaton did it the best, and I wish good luck to Ben Affleck. But, you know who would have made a great Batman? Alec Baldwin in the ’80s.”

And it’s brainwaves like that that make us wonder just what would happen if QT were ever persuaded to turn his camera on Gotham…

Batman vs. Superman will open in the US on 17 July 2015.

For more Bats/Supes news, discussion and celebrities giving their opinions, watch our YouTube show Cape Expectations...

What do you make of Tarantino's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

Oct 11th 2013, 9:05

How about Alec Baldwin for a Dark Knight Returns movie? Of course he'd need a couple months with a trainer before they started shooting.

• moosatov

Oct 11th 2013, 9:12

Baldwin didn't play Batman, but he did play The Shadow which kinda was in the same noirish direction.

• jamestaggart

Oct 11th 2013, 10:24

I'm suprised he says that batman is not an interesting character for any actor. If anything, Batman is a very interesting character to play. It's about a playboy millionaire who saw his parents murdered infront of him as a kid. Who then goes through his early adult life harboring these visions of that night which mentally effects him. Finally ends up dressing up like a giant bat at night time. I mean, it's basically about a man with a SEVERE mental illness!!

• varunmanivannan

Oct 11th 2013, 10:49

Its very easy for him to say batman is not an interesting character for actors to play , because he has not directed thriller movies like Christopher Nolan did , Nolan created a Batman like a masterpiece , i don't think anyone can recreate a batman like Nolan did.

• chibik

Oct 11th 2013, 10:51

@jamestaggart: Agreed. And I always think characters with mental illnesses look like so much fun to play!

• LSJShez

Oct 11th 2013, 15:51

I'm a QT fan, but Jesus, sometimes he does talk out of his a*se. Ali1748 - There's only one man for a Dark Knight Returns movie, and that's Powers Boothe. He's the right build and age. The shot of him at the bottom of Hartigan's bed in Sin City shows it perfectly.

• StevePotter

Oct 11th 2013, 16:24

I love Tarantino, but the guy really doesn't get superheroes. Don't forget his Superman speech in "Kill Bill". Great speech; s****y interpretation of the character. He's at it again here.

• fuckyoomiller

Oct 11th 2013, 19:09

Batman is a wonderful character because his world is completely open to interpretation. From the goofy 60's TV batman to cunning 70's and 80's detective, the gritty frank miller batman, the artsy twisted batman of the graphic novels etc etc Just the hollywood batman is one super lame rubber bird and its more than evident that hollywood lacks the creativity to pull a batman film off.

• cinerama

Oct 12th 2013, 4:29

I agree Batman is boring but Tarantino is the most boring director of ALL time.Even worse is his inability to be able to act. So why does he have to embarrass himself by appearing in some of his movies? KILL BILL? -should have killed the director who made this boring and very repetative piece of rubbish.

• Spankymonkey

Oct 12th 2013, 14:02

I'm going to say something now that's akin to blasphemy in film circles but I've never been a massive QT fan. I totally accept that I'm in the minority but his movies have always left me a bit cold. I think it's because of his obsession of interweaving film genre's that I have little interest in into his movies. Don't get me wrong I've seen most of his films and whilst I don't hate them I don't think I've ever gone back for a second viewing. Therefore his opinion on Batman is not unexpected for me but I completely disagree with him. Batman is probably THE most interesting superhero character to play and asking QT for his opinion on this matter is a waste of time. Batman movies are escapism and QT doesn't do escapism.

• theVman

Oct 12th 2013, 16:53

About everyone and his dog has a thought on Ben Affleck playing Batman be they never got a news item out it. Tarrantino is not the special that we need to know his opinions on something that he seems to have nothing to do with.

• DonnaCabel4

Oct 13th 2013, 9:41

Oh philip..what an amazing link you posted ...Its really true you can earn that much? b­ℴ­w­6­.­ℂ­o­m

• orsontruax25

Oct 13th 2013, 18:59

✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷✷Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to home tab for Registration ✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒www.JℴℬS72.ℭℴℳ

• ClaraMeyer07

Oct 15th 2013, 0:57

First time i trusted an online job add and managed to make 90$ in 5 hours... b­ℴ­w­6­.­ℂ­o­m