Resident Evil 5 to shoot in Toronto

Filming from October to December 2011

Those with even a passing understanding of the Resident Evil games and films know it's pretty hard to put a determined zombie down.

So it should come as no surprise (especially as the last film ended on a cliffhanger) that the film franchise's fifth outing is gearing up to shoot at Cinespace’s Kipling Studio in Toronto.

Writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson will be at the helm once more for Resident Evil: Retribution, with Milla Jovovich back to kick more undead butt.

Shooting will take place from October to December to meet a US release date pencilled in for 14 September 2012.

Critics may have been disappointed with 2010's Resident Evil: Afterlife - “Isn’t it time we put Milla out of her misery?” read TF's review - but having banked $296m worldwide there's no sign of an end yet.
Are you excited to see a fifth Resident Evil movie? Or would you rather scoop the brains out of a dying man's skull than sit through another one? Tell us below!

Comments

• Trickycustomer

Aug 17th 2011, 15:57

they should really make this the last film and let someone who actually cares about the story take over. They have only used very brief references to the games to come up with these s**t films. its time we have a new trilogy OR tv series that follows the games from umbrella's begining through the mansion incident to the rac**n city plague. please god no more W.S s**te.

• trist808

Aug 17th 2011, 16:27

Totally with you on this, as much as I enjoyed the first installment, the sequels have just been getting rapidly worse and worse. I try to enjoy them but it's just not in me to be so forgiving anymore. What I don't understand is that the template is already there for an amazing trilogy of films. Resident Evil 2 is still my favourite video game of all time and when I first played it, I felt as though I was part of a film guiding Leon (and then Claire) through the movie's story-arc. Same with Resi One which I (ironcially) played afterwards. The story, characters, set-pieces are all right there and in the hands of a FILM DIRECTOR not a TOTAL f*****g HACK, could be something worthwhile and special. This is one series I would love to see rebooted and done correctly.

Aug 17th 2011, 17:14

For me Res4 was the pinnacle of the series, going after the presidents daughter through villages of European zombie was seriously un-nerving, even the annoying Aussie merchant didnt put me off ".. Wotcha boying?" .. Its a pity becuase Event Horizon is still considered an impressive bit of Sci-fi but then Anderson took the Hollywood gravyboat and has been churniing out barrels of cinematic moose gravy ever since. Then again, anyone who puts Sadie Frost in a film, deserves a kicking.

• trist808

Aug 17th 2011, 17:22

Anderson is the new Lucas ... he makes one decent sci-fi film and then turns out crud for the rest of his career. Event Horizon was so darn good too ...

• writerdave87

Aug 17th 2011, 21:44

Dalidab, please, f**k off. Just go.

• FBALee

Aug 18th 2011, 8:41

Ummmmm... I guess I wasn't aware that Lindsay Lohan was one of the "most iconic female actresses". Guess it's true that you learn something new every day. And if in fact she is one of our most iconic film actresses, I think I might stop watching movies all together and stick to reading books.

• trist808

Aug 18th 2011, 10:16

THX 1138 stole too much from 2001 for my liking, no, clearly the film I was referring to was the original 1977 Star Wars which redefined a genre and is considered a modern classic and Lucas' best film. Event Horizon was superb and Anderson should great potential, which I feel he hasn't shown since. Lohan? Iconic? She might be in your eyes, but not in most, I think you're doing Monroe a huge dis-service there. Mean Girls is hardly in the same league as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes or Some LIke It Hot ...

• trist808

Aug 18th 2011, 10:17

*showed not should (meh)

• DuffyUK

Aug 18th 2011, 10:55

The thought process of putting Lohan in the same league as Monroe is just beyond moronic and retarded. But then again I wouldn't expect anything less from that fecking halfwit.

• DuffyUK

Aug 18th 2011, 12:33

To be honest Ive given up putting my opinions on here because you all always come along and verbal diarrhoea over everyone else's views with a huge list of films which you have quite clearly cut and paste from Imdb and which you probably havent even seen a 1/3 of... I now just wait around until you put your huge clown feet in your even bigger mouth, then get absolutely ripped to shreds by everyone for it and then laugh at you. A lot. As much as I find you a waste of matter and oxygen I find your presence on here almost tolerable as you provide a mild form of humour which is as close to a chimp picking his arsehole and flicking it's findings at another chimp; which to be honest I can go on Youtube for so, if anything this is a compliment you great big illiterate dick.

• jonesr9

Aug 18th 2011, 16:13

To be fair Dalidab, I don't think anyone comes on the TF website to bully you, but when people disagree with you, you go off on one and post a page long response in which you often call people every name under the sun. I'm not even getting into the one when you wished the big C on someone... So you can't exactly come back and play the victim. You do come across as a moron with your idiotic casting choices and constant claims of homophobia for no apparent reason. You only do a disservice to every gay man out there by getting incredibly defensive about your sexuality when you want to cast a 'hot' 13 year old in an action film...

• Trickycustomer

Aug 18th 2011, 16:53

Anyway........... back to resident evil and slagging off paul w**k shaft anderson, this aint a problem page so anyone else with me on a new direction for resi? {-D

• murphy

Aug 18th 2011, 17:29

Yeah a new direction is definitely needed as W@nk Stain Anderson is flogging a zombie horse with the current franchise,i realy liked Event Horizon and thought he was one to watch but he's decided to go for fat paychecks over artistic integrity. And i agree that they could probably make it work with a re-boot that's more faithfull to the games,maybe they should let Jim Mickle have a go at it.And i can't even read dalidabs comments anymore,they just bore me to tears and make me want to headbutt my monitor.

• Porkchopexpress

Aug 18th 2011, 18:04

Paul WS Anderson always delivers solid action hokum and nine times out of ten returns a healthy profit, he makes films that cater for an audience who dine out on action and adventure with a minimum of fuss. He's not a critic's darling, but he's not exactly Uwe Boll either, people need to get over themselves when it comes to his films. In purely financial terms in a budget to profit ratio he's likely one of the UK's finest cinematic exports. More fool you if you go into a Paul WS Anderson film expecting anything else really, file strictly under guilty pleasures and I include 'Soldier' in that.

• murphy

Aug 18th 2011, 18:42

Sorry but the dalidab effect comes into play here,if he says something is good,it automatically becomes sh!t.

• trist808

Aug 19th 2011, 11:19

I'm more looking forward to the CGI film released on DVD called Damnation. I think that will carry the spirit of what Resident Evil should be more so than this fifth live installment ... although I will still go see it as I'm too much of an optimistic sucker and will secretly hope Retribution might actually be good (lol)

• ChrisWootton

Aug 19th 2011, 13:17

Paul Ws Anderson has made one good film.. Event Horizion. Since then? Everything he does you know will be a complete pile of s**te. Resident Evil 4 (the game) was fantastic, but a game is a game. Films based on video games never work because they are to interested in making the film lie the gaming experience... when will they learn that these 2 things do not go hand in hand.

• Trickycustomer

Aug 19th 2011, 16:50

i think when directors make movies from games nine out of ten times they try and do something different and totally opposite to what the games are about. They forget or ignore the very things that make the games so appealing in the first place and usually come out with [ we are trying to make it for a wider audience ] b******t. For shame directors, FOR SHAME. if resi could be put on film following the story, characters, and timeline including all the little details which hapen in the game then you've got it. i think with this series, a big budget tv series R rated of course, could definately cover the story start to finish through however many seasons that are required. example: season 1: the start of umbrella, the stars characters investigating the strange murders which lead to the mansion incident and the mansion incident itself. season 2: rac**n city's demise and so on and so forth. Why isn't this getting done already? im tempted to write the story myself and send it in lol GET IT DONE

• Trickycustomer

Aug 19th 2011, 16:55

even a bloody anime series would do, but ghost in the shell style chracters only ie realistic looking and not big pie eyed over the top cartoony anime. peace

• trist808

Aug 19th 2011, 18:54

I like where you're going with the TV series idea "Trickycustomer", although we kinda have that already in the excellent Walking Dead series, maybe that is the way to go with Resi :)

• Trickycustomer

Aug 19th 2011, 20:30

i hear you on that one trist808 walking dead is good but still think there could be better from it. best zombie film i ve seen is the dawn of the dead remake

• ChrisWootton

Aug 20th 2011, 14:16

Agreed Trickycustomer. Walking Dead was good but it didn't really do anything new with the idea so your idea about the Resi TV series sounds good to me. I quite enjoyed Survival of the Dead, it was quite funny Romero proved that he is still the only one who comes up with original things to do with zombies. You should write it mate, even if it turns out to be just for fun, but you never know maybe someone out there will share your vision.

• StevePotter

Aug 21st 2011, 1:34

You know what's great about Total Film? The small amount of members makes it like one big, happy, dysfunctional family. Just like my high school drama department.

• FBALee

Aug 21st 2011, 10:36

@dalidab1982- I wasn't trying to offend you, I was just sitting there in shock that someone would actually think that Lindsay Lohan was a worthy and talented enough actress to be classified as "iconic", seeing as most of her starring roles have taken place in the smut that is tabloid "news". I actually didn't even direct my comment towards you, I was just a bit incredulous. You ramble a lot, by the way. Anyway, I happen to be extremely offended that you would classify me or any of my comments as homophobic, for reasons I do not care to delve into on this particular site. You do not know me, as I do not know you. I would like to keep my involvement on this site impersonal and relating to strictly movies. And of course I would never stop enjoying movies. For that matter, I will not stop enjoying music, or books, just because someone's opinion degrades the quality of the things I appreciate in my personal life. Again, I mean no offense, but you kind of annoy the sh*t out of me.

Aug 21st 2011, 17:17

Why do people continue to flock to these turds of movies ? Resi 4 was utter garbage.

• Trickycustomer

Aug 22nd 2011, 10:48

I shall order an old typewriter and smoking pipe immediately and start writing a tv. Resi series :-)

• Trickycustomer