Ricky Gervais causes Golden Globes controversy

Brit host mocks Charlie Sheen, Scientology and much more

Brit Ricky Gervais hosted the Golden Globes for the second year in a row, so you'd think the show's producers would've known what to expect.

The Social Network took four big awards and Colin Firth was named Best Actor, but the real talking point this morning has been Ricky Gervais' hilarious opening monologue, which had the assembled A-list guests squirming in their seats.

Gervais took shots at everything from Charlie Sheen's social life, to Hugh Hefner's forthcoming nuptials and Scientology.

While we were splitting our sides, the Hollywood stars didn't always look so impressed...

Check out Gervais' cringe-inducing monologue below:

Will Gervais' blunt gags cost him some of his Hollywood clout? Who knows, but we have a feeling the show's organisers might plump for a 'safer' host next time.

Did you appreciate Ricky's boundary-busting hosting? Or did he go too far? Tell us what you thought...

Comments

• Varta

Jan 17th 2011, 12:20

Ricky was rude and had no compassion for the people he was ridiculing. As I have loved everything he has done up to now he hasn't disappointed me yet and last night was no exception. If the Hollywood elite are to uptight to take a bit of a p**s-taking then who cares. They make a lot more money than us so sometimes it's good to have a laugh at their expense.

• lperegoy

Jan 17th 2011, 12:25

There's a difference between funny and mean. Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin, the hosts of last year's Oscars, showed us how poking jabs at celebrities can be funny. Ricky Gervais, host of the Golden Globes, showed us how making fun of celebrities' personal lives and the work they do, is mean spirited and totally uncalled for.

• Hypsomnia

Jan 17th 2011, 12:40

Oh whatever, Ricky, if anything, was a lighter version of himself that night. I thought he was hilarious. A dry humor approach with truth behind it because lets face it, many of those nominees didn't deserve to be nominated (Burlesque & The Tourist) and he was pretty much dead on. His Scientology crack was a bit dated by still, a crack on Scientology is a good one.

• Jrdnsans1792

Jan 17th 2011, 12:47

Ricky was hilarious! Brilliant!

• jimmycbarr53

Jan 17th 2011, 12:48

That, was hysterical.

• DanRose

Jan 17th 2011, 13:06

Brilliant... love the man... and yeah these Hollywood types earn millions, if they can't laugh at themselves.... would have liked to have seen Jolie's reaction to his The Tourist joke. I heard he wanted to come on dressed in a Nazi costume and start with 'Too Much...?'

Jan 17th 2011, 13:28

well he's probably frustrated that he's still known as 'who?' in Hollywood, after this he'll be known as 'that fat english guy'

• tomahawk

Jan 17th 2011, 14:10

I say, "well done" to him (Gervais). Hollywood actors get their arses kissed enough, and told they are great enough. The whole event is full of a**e-kissing, back-slapping, champagne swilling, designer clothing; all in the current economic climate where the rest of use have to tighten our belts. It's about time someone drags them back to reality with some home truths because what they do is not that important.

• jtmediaknight

Jan 17th 2011, 14:29

I thought he was brilliant and just what an awards show needed, someone to ruffle a few feathers. And it just goes to prove that most Americans have no sense of humour at all!!! Not like us Brits

• mattrix33

Jan 17th 2011, 14:59

Brilliant and funny as F@&k...anyone who says it was too far or rude should grow up

• pigshair123

Jan 17th 2011, 15:19

i heard frankie boyle is going to be hosting it next year....

• flashfanatic1

Jan 17th 2011, 15:34

I thought he was great, surely they knew what they were getting espcially after last year Mel Gibson introduction anyone? "I like a drink as much as the next man unless that next man's Mel Gibson" . Funny how all the Brits there were laughing & it's the Yanks who get all offended by it & I thought we were supposed to be the straight laced ones. As my mate said WHAT A BUNCH OF PUSSIES!

• DanRose

Jan 17th 2011, 16:03

What a legend... Bales acceptance speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5OBf7Kjwo

• ashleyrhys

Jan 17th 2011, 17:08

I don't understand why people are being so uptight about it. They were jokes. It annoys me that people get so insulted by humour. Why care about little things like that? In my opinion, if it's true and/or slanderous in a mocking/joking manner then it's even funnier. Dark, insulting or boundary crossing humour is the funniest of all so lighten up and just take the joke. It's beyond unreal that people can't take these things and that's why the world has been driven to jokes which aren't even funny any more because they can't be remotely insulting in fear of being labelled racist, sexist or bigots or all of the above and worse. Lighten up. :) Personally, I found those jokes actually hilarious and I actually enjoy his stand-up and will watch more of it after the awesome monologue he just exhibited.

• RenZelen

Jan 17th 2011, 17:39

You don't ask a shark into your pool and then make a fuss if it bites you - silly, spoiled people who are only used to drooling sycophancy...

• sorenthepoet

Jan 17th 2011, 17:57

He is what made the show for me, after seeing no awards for Inception. How could they choose The Social Network over Inception? Ricky Gervais was honest, and hilarious, I think most of us, who are americans, loved it!

• LizzieLee

Jan 17th 2011, 18:18

You can't be front page news throughout a year and not expect to have it mentioned. I thought he was quite tame actually. Frankie Boyle would've finished the job! Of course, they all may have loved it really but, due to plastic surgery, you couldn't tell...

• MadMatt

Jan 17th 2011, 23:12

I've seen plenty of comments around the internet defending Gervais by saying something to the effect of "these Hollywood-types surrounded by yes men need bringing down a peg or two anyway." All of which would be fair enough if Gervais wasn't the possessor of a gigantic ego himself. No one laughs harder at a Ricky Gervais joke than Ricky Gervais. Read any in-depth interview with him and you'll see he is staggeringly arrogant and conceited with little respect for anyone who thinks differently from him. He bristles with anger whenever he receives criticism himself, but has no trouble dishing it out. As for his 'brave, edgy' comedy? Charlie Sheen likes a drink! Hugh Hefner is old! Wow, who knew?

• seven

Jan 18th 2011, 0:45

I read a few days ago he planned on being edgier this year. Looks like he achieved his goal. I turned the show off and watched something else because I had not seen a lot of the nominated movies and Gervais was not as funny to me. Personally, that kind of humor - character assasination and making fun of pjeople, is boring to me and not very creative. Same as stand up comedians who only tell jokes laced with the F word every other sentence and their whole premise is about getting laid. Boring and juvenile humor. We all have choices and I chose to watch something else. But I will say, I did turn it on because it was a great show last year but it died for me after the first few segments this year.

• McSerious

Jan 18th 2011, 1:14

The thing is though there's a massive difference between not being into Gervais's humour and thinking he deserves this kind of reaction. I was personally in near hysterical laughter... As was Robert DeNiro and Alec Baldwin! But I can see why people don't necessarily enjoy that kind of dark humour. However, all this 'He'll never work in Hollywood again!' rubbish is so far over the top... Not to mention very unlikely to come true. How much more famous did he suddenly just become?

• mjwilstein

Jan 18th 2011, 2:33

You can watch all of Ricky Gervais' funniest jokes from last night's Golden Globes here: http://gtcha.me/ieWtc6

• mjwilstein

Jan 18th 2011, 2:33

• eeyore1059

Jan 18th 2011, 3:14

As a American, I have to say I thought Gervais was hilarious. So what if he has a huge ego? So do 99% of the people in that room (possibly excluding Tom Hanks), they get paid ridiculously well and should be able to take a few shots every now and then without raising a red flag. I've loved Ricky since I saw the original Office and look forward to whenever he's on tv. Well done Ricky!

• Lingdada

Jan 18th 2011, 7:08

Looks like the Golden Globes really do want to employ one of the nicest people in showbusiness as their host! Refreshingly refusing to cow-tow-bow to the gross sickly honeyed fawning of the Hollywood Hotshot hangers on...Ricky has streetcred and superb comedic talents!! More! More!

• MadMatt

Jan 18th 2011, 14:45

eeyore1059 - You completely missed my point. The fact that he's as big an egotist as anyone in the room makes him a hypocrite, not someone to admire as puncturing the pomposity of the entitled and self-absorbed. He's arguably the worst of the lot! And I don't see how being in the public eye means you should just accept belittlement and humiliation as par for the course. There was surely a way to be irreverent and cheeky about the nominees without being nasty? Look at Downey Jr's saucy actress intro for a positive example. Judging by the amount of responses who find Gervais 'hilarious,' I guess there's just a lot of bitter people out there who enjoy the comedy of cruelty. It's a shame.

• fuzzydunlop1

Jan 19th 2011, 0:29

Let's put this into perspective. It's an Awards Show. Not a Peace Summit! Ricky, for me, was absolutely brilliant. Just hearing the words'Ashton Kutcher's Dad' and 'Bonanza' makes me chuckle. I've heard worse insults in a pub. Everyone in that audience was a grown-up. They should be able to put up with a bit of leg-pulling, surely?

• ClockworkOwen17

Jan 19th 2011, 11:06

Bloody hell, Steve Buscemi didn't look impressed at all. I don't mind Ricky Gervais, not his biggest fan but I like some of his work. I didn't see there was anything drastically wrong with his speech, just some harmless banter, maybe some could of been done without but as people have previously said, these people make millions and they can't stand just a moment of p**s take for it? Silly and blown out of proportion in my opinion.

• beavon1

Jan 19th 2011, 12:09

Ricky Gervais did the same thing last year, it was funny then and it's funny now. I cannot understand any of the complaints about the him because people knew exactly what he was going to do. Lets face the Hollywood foreign press must of liked him otherwise why ask him to do the awards a second year. He even gave us pre warning on who he was going after when he made an appearance on the Ellen Degeneres show, what more do people want from him. Ask and you shall receive.

• sheroo19

Jan 19th 2011, 18:49

He is hilarious, I'm actually crying with laughter... he makes it fun for everyone!

• sheroo19