Ridley Scott rejects Harrison Ford rumours

But drops a hint about Prometheus 2

Earlier this week we brought you the news that Andrew Kosove, producer on the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, had denied rumours that Harrison Ford was in talks to join the cast. Now we can go one better, with Ridley Scott breaking cover to blow those rumours out of the water. Kind of…

“No,” said Scott, when asked if he had spoken with Ford, before stopping short of ruling a return out completely. “Absolutely not,” he continued, “I’m not sure that that’s going to be a story point, so I don’t know. But if it were, nothing would please me more.”

Hope that’s nice and clear then. Scott did manage to clarify the movie’s status a little more , explaining that at this early stage there isn’t even a script doing the rounds.

“We’re still in discussions about whether it should be a prequel or sequel,” he explains. “It’s an interesting conversation. I’m meeting with writers and I’ve also gone back to [original Blade Runner screenwriter] Hampton Fancher and he still speaks the speak. He’s right there. I spoke with him this week. But we don’t even have a script yet.”

Perhaps more exciting is the nugget he went on to reveal about Prometheus, mentioning the possibility of a sequel to his space-set odyssey.

“I just thought Prometheus was so enjoyable — returning to the world of science fiction was so fun — that I wanted to [go back to Blade Runner, too]. I’m also thinking about what the hell I might do for a Prometheus 2.”

There you go folks, that’s your new Ridley rumour for today! Prometheus opens in the UK on 1 June 2012.

Would you like to see Harrison Ford involved, or is the whole thing a bad idea? Vent your spleen, below.

Comments

Feb 9th 2012, 9:53

Preserve the mystery and do a prequel, we don't need to know ALL the answers. Next.. Gladiator 2 : Undead General!

• 2Dglasses

Feb 9th 2012, 11:15

sequel that goes into some of the backstory is fine. you mean they arent doing "boy with wolf/dog : the beginning" anymore?

• SiMan

Feb 9th 2012, 14:22

@Hadouken, wasn't there a Gladiator 2 script doing the rounds set in the afterlife and had Maximus taking on the Roman Gods?

Feb 9th 2012, 16:41

I dont know SiMan, it probably ended up as straight-to-SYFY effort starring Kevin Sorbo

• MadMatt

Feb 9th 2012, 16:52

This is so exciting - I'd love it if Hampton Fancher had a hand in crafting the script for this. He's so talented and under-utilised (watch The Minus Man).

• writerdave87

Feb 9th 2012, 23:16

Hadouken, you joke about that but there was actually a seriously-considered sequel planned in which Maximus was resurrected by the gods and fought in numerous battles throughout history. I read an article about it once and it sounded absolutely f*****g AWESOME. Unfortunately scheduling conflicts put paid to it.

• writerdave87

Feb 9th 2012, 23:17

I think it was written by Nick Cave believe it or not.