Ridley Scott reveals Prometheus secrets to T3

Contains spoilers, obviously…

Prometheus has landed, and by now, many of you will have experienced Ridley Scott's new vision of the future. So with all fear of spoilers out of the way, our pals over at T3 sat down with the man himself, alongside writer Damon Lindelof, to delve deeper into Weyland Corp's latest expedition.

"I'm a sick fucker," says Scott when asked about his predilection for sequences of body horror. "Once [Shaw] is pregnant, I have to see it, I have to see what that is. It’s extreme, galloping DNA, whatever that is that’s creating this monstrous thing growing inside of her.

"In 25 minutes she now looks eight months' pregnant – that’s inconceivable for us, because we don’t understand it. But I think it’s probably way up there somewhere, it’s entirely feasible. You’ve got to show it, you’ve got to do it."

Scott goes on to discuss his own ideas about the universe, and how that informed the story he wanted to tell with Prometheus.

"There’s two rules of thought," he says. "You’re either going to believe in the fact that we’re here by genetic luck  entirely, so from day one where you have atomic storms – inconceivable storms that will go on in this nucleus, in which the dirt bowl will find some reason to start growth on everything."

"But then the idea that, 'Is there a higher force in the universe?' comes the question, 'Is it God, or are there superior beings out there?' You stand and look at the stars at night in the galaxy out there, it’s entirely ridiculous to believe that we are it. You mean this is it? We’re sitting in this room, I’ve got this fucking cappuccino, and up there there’s noone else? I don’t think so."

To check out the full interview, including Scott's take on 3D, fan rumours and the viral marketing campaign, head over to T3 now...

Have you seen Prometheus yet? If so, what did you think? Tell us, below...

Comments

• moviegeek2000

Jun 8th 2012, 11:19

All the recent negative reactions to Ridley Scott’s Prometheus say more about the counter-productive effect of a marketing campaign which was just too big and eventually just imploded on itself, than it says about the actual film. The expectations were just too high, and the hunger for it too big. The film was supposed to answer questions which have been hanging for 33 years since the first Alien was first released. And of course Ridley Scott was the man who single-handedly redefined the sci-fi genre (not just with Alien, but with Blade Runner as well) and this was his first return to space in 3 decades. Disappointment was inevitable and the film became a victim of its own hype. On the first viewing very few people judged it for its own merits, while everyone else (including me) compared it to a film which had been made in a time when there was nothing like that. Prometheus may not be the prequel fans wanted (not quite sure what that would have been anyway), it may not be as ground-breaking as some had hoped, but it’s not a bad film... And I do wonder if it had been directed by some unknown newcomer or if it had not be trumpeted by endless trailers and teasers, whether we would have judged it differently. Interestingly critical reaction to the first Alien was initially pretty negative too. After all it was considered a B-movie. Famously Time Out called it an "empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty” Should the hype have been handled differently? Probably not. The figures speak pretty clearly and at the end of the day in Hollywood box office talks louder than a few disappointed reviewers and bloggers. In fact not one but sequels are already in the pipeline. My FULL Review is here http://wp.me/p19wJ2-zI

• FBMBurgess

Jun 8th 2012, 12:10

"The film was supposed to answer questions which have been hanging for 33 years" Umm, was it? Says who? I think perhaps 'The Fans' *wanted* it to answer questions, but I doubt Ridley Scott ever intended it to do so. And I wonder if maybe fans should have expected that from him. Personally, I thought it was okay. I'm not a huge fan of the Alien films, because I only got around to seeing them recently, and I think maybe they have lost their impact on a modern audience, so I didn't need Prometheus to answer any questions, but I was at least expecting it to be scary! It wasn't. (And I am easilly scared by scary films!). I did enjoy the way it craps over the Predator films by... weeeell, I wouldn't want to spoil it for you now, would I? ;¬)

• FBMBurgess

Jun 8th 2012, 12:23

I would like to retract "Says who?" It sounded much more confrontational than I intended. Apologies.

• Azazeal4eva

Jun 8th 2012, 12:46

I have so many issues with what was either lazy writing to shoe horn a plot device in or gloss over a moment that happened minnes before.. but the whole pregnancy thing.. in the film i saw she didnt look 8 months pregnant.. she had the same flat stomache before and during the birth.. and then no mention about that whole seemingly planned infection.. was made after.. no word to wayland.. oh if you need to go back in your operation machine there is my afterbirth in there and trail of blood to your bedroom.. no one cares or talks about it again... in the actual Alien flim.. when they are having lunch and the chest bursts.. every one cares and is effected by it.. this time round as shocking as it might be inteneded no one cares.. even naiomi staples her self up and gest back to work!...

• Chufferstud

Jun 8th 2012, 15:44

I really enjoyed for what it was and didn't go in wanting answers to Alien, as I assumed from what Scott had said that it was part of the Alien universe, but not directly linked. I hated the ending with a passion and it shows the style of film writing today where it's about leaving it open for a sequel...all about the dollar! It left so many questions. But for all it's faults (and there were many), it looked amazing, Fassbender was brilliant and I left thinking "I quite enjoyed that". It's science fiction and whilst I agree that someone wouldn't be able to walk after that scene, you do have to put the brain in neutral I guess. The world is very different from the days of chestbusters and I think we're all a little desensitised to that sort of shock. I found Guy Pearce's aging make-up the most frightening thing :)

• ThrashGordon

Jun 8th 2012, 18:10

The film was too ambitious, a few of the characters were pointless and their absence from the film would not have effected it much (aside from missing a few sequences of unintentional hilarity). It tried to be too clever and raise too many though-provoking questions and ideas in a script/plot which couldn't keep up; making it feel cut/pasted and spluttering forward like an old car engine. Otherwise it was entertaining, and I learnt the following: Scientists, as a rule, are idiots. Don't run in front of large falling objects, run to THE SIDE. Bring more powerful weapons with you in case one of your crewmembers turns into the alien hulk.

• Flynners

Jun 8th 2012, 18:35

Maybe some character development and scenes of a post pregnancy fallout were left on the cutting room floor in favour of a smaller running time. There's a great movie in there that a director's cut could realise. As long as Guy Pearce and the 'father scene' is banished. I read in an interview that Theron didn't think there was enough to her character and forced the writers to expand the part. I'm guessing the father scene was her influence.

• Flynners

Jun 8th 2012, 18:38

Just found it...http://movies.about.com/od/theroncharlize/a/Charlize-Theron-Damon-Lindelof-Prometheus.htm "I felt like the character was just a little one-dimensional. [Damon Lindelof] stepped in, and I got on the phone with him and Ridley, and I threw very loose cannons towards him, with no specific ideas, but just wanting her to be somewhat more layered. I can’t tell you what Damon came up with, but he came up with some good s**t! She starts out one thing and ends up another thing. It’s a pretty nice surprise, toward the third act, so I don’t want to ruin that for you, but she really does start out very one-dimensional." Theron.

• filmfan1977

Jun 8th 2012, 19:48

films are over exposed nowadays what with the internet and social networks.i didnt watch any virals ,making offs or any other assorted clips littered throughout the internet.only saw the official trailers and even thought the big trailer reveiled to much.for me the film answered most questions from alien(not that i had any to start with).the 2 stand out actors were fassbender and rapace .theron was good but the rest cannon fodder.good story ,effects and great ending.loved it.liked the ending as one part of the story went off into alien and one strand went off into sequel direction.

• thedanieljson

Jun 8th 2012, 20:48

It WAS an over-ambitious film. It has many many flaws, and was clusimly written/full of holes in several places. But, in Hollywood, I see this far more as a good thing than a bad thing; amongst the likes of blockbusters such as Transformers, Battleship, AVATAR for christs sake, it's nice to see a sci-fi film that actually dares to consider serious and pressing issues about existence and all that c**p and that is also accesible to the public. Even The Avengers, which though probably a better film than Prometheus, had little to say... It was funnier, more entertaining and better written sure. But it's nice to see a Hollywood film that dares to challenge it's audience in some way. Stop me if I'm talking absolute b******t.

• Murphy0806

Jun 9th 2012, 0:44

Guys look, straight lines, God don't do that s**t. Good call, shall we land a few miles back then work our way in and study? Naaahh, f**k that. Lets just land this m**********r right on top. Right, we're down, what next? Well obviously we ignore the main reason we chose to land here, jump in the van and gun it right to the centre. Charlie Holloway "Excuse me, excuse me. I know it was partly my discovery that lead us to travel a gazillion light years away and spend 2 years in bed, but I cant be bothered now. Can someone tell me where the booze is?"

Jun 9th 2012, 9:14

Anticipointment.

• FBMBurgess

Jun 9th 2012, 9:17

@Hadouken76. Thanks, I'm stealing that.

• ChrisWootton

Jun 9th 2012, 11:32

I'm sorry but the moment they used some kind of space recorder to start up the ship completely s**ts on anyone's argument for this film being any good.

• ilikescifi

Jun 9th 2012, 14:57

So...you all loved the Avengers Assemble but you hated Prometheus...? Long live Ignition Flute!

• ChrisWootton

Jun 9th 2012, 15:08

I didn't like the Avengers either.. ignition flute is my new favourite description.. is there a phrase for not being able to turn to the left or right when running away from something falling straight?

• FBMBurgess

Jun 9th 2012, 20:15

What the hell is 'ignition flute' and how does it pertain to The Avengers? In fact, what has The Avengers got to do with Prometheus? Why are they being compared?

• smellyhands

Jun 9th 2012, 20:45

I blame Indiana Jones for the whole running straight ahead from objects rolling straight behind you cliché. At least he was justified for doing it as he had no other direction to take to avoid a good old boulder crushing

• zpider242

Jun 10th 2012, 22:04

Ilikeitalot

• sariyah

Jun 11th 2012, 3:51

I don't see what all the fuss is about with this 'disappointing' thing. I personally thought the story was rather good although there were some rough spots, and the performances were fitting(except Michael Fassbender who brilliantly played a soulless robot, and continued to be exceptional even after decapitation), and the fx and makeup were... charming. Maybe not accurate or believable, but they served their purpose. All in all, it was really quite good and was worth my time.