Ridley Scott talks Prometheus sequel

He's even got a name in mind

Prometheus may have shared its secrets on the big screen, but it's not about to leave the headlines just yet, as Ridley Scott has been talking to THR about his potential plans for a sequel (some spoilers ahead, so tread carefully).

"From the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel," says Scott. "I really don't want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to Shaw saying, 'I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from.'"

Scott went on to refer to the fact that the original title for Prometheus was going to be Paradise, intimating that Paradise would probably now be the title of the sequel.

"I'd love to explore where [Dr. Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there," says Scott, "because if it is paradise, paradise can not be what you think it is. Paradise has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous."

"Because [the Engineers] are such aggressive fuckers," he continues, "I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God." Sounds to us like a sequel is a matter of when and not if...

Would you welcome a sequel to Prometheus? Tell us, below...

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jun 12th 2012, 12:17

Personally I think he should bug out and call it even man

• Heisenberg

Jun 12th 2012, 12:31

It was clear from the start there was a sequel planned for this. Sure god himself is the most agressive f****r around going by the bible. f****r has everyone who doesn't do what he wants killed/tortured anyway.

• thedanieljson

Jun 12th 2012, 12:41

"I really don't want to meet god in the first one" so we are going to meet 'God' then? Fantastic. I really do not like where this is going...

• SiMan

Jun 12th 2012, 13:09

**SPOILERS** Does anyone else think that it would have been (slightly) better (in a dissappointing film) to have Noomi Rappace's character snuff it towards the end and have someone else, maybe Charlize Theron's character, taking over instead of getting squished by a falling spaceship. I honestly thought this was a direction it was going to go once you found out who Theron's character was in realtion to the Weyland corporation - Would have emulated the First Alien movie where everyone thought Tom Skerrit would be the hero. Plus, why the f*ck would she want to go and find out where the Engineers came from when the first one she met killed everyone in his path and tried to kill her?

• dholleyuk

Jun 12th 2012, 13:33

@SiMan We did not see her body therefore we do not know 100% that she is dead, equally the ship also appeared to "squish" Shaw. I would like to have seen Vickers servive and gain control of one of the other ships with help from a secret "Dave", remember she had loads of gadgets to survive, why not a Dave 2.0 or in Alien tradition an android with the next letter, like Edward?

• ChrisWootton

Jun 12th 2012, 14:03

SPOiLER ALSO The ship crushed Theron... it missed shaw by hitting a rock behind her.. trust me, I've seen it twice.. there is no question

• MyHPotter78

Jun 12th 2012, 14:05

SOME SPOILERS KINDA @SiMan maybe the engineers in the first movie had gone rogue and thats why the one in the hologram's hear spontaniously combusted. like a self destruct mechanism that was on the helmet. that what i think and as with pretty much everything else i think it's probably wrong

• MyHPotter78

Jun 12th 2012, 14:06

P.S i know my name is a bit stupid, i was hungover and my cousin was watching harry potter at the time

• ChrisWootton

Jun 12th 2012, 14:35

Don't worry about it.. my name is also stupid.. blame my parents

• ilikescifi

Jun 12th 2012, 14:35

@MyHPotter78 we understand how much you love HP don't be ashamed. So the ship that crashes at the end is NOT the same as the original alien? I am enjoying the scientific (style) approach to sci fi. as a mad documentary watcher i appreciate the authenticity of space/science movies like prometheus and moon. Vickers showing her true self every time she interacted with David was also really cool, like she had grown up deeply resenting him. BTW SPOILER What was with his comment "Everybody wants their parents dead?"

Jun 12th 2012, 16:04

Please no sequel, I admire Ridley's effort with Prometheus but his missed the mark and showed he's no longer an elite director.

Jun 12th 2012, 16:16

James Cameron will call it Prometheuses, gawd help you if you have a lisp :D

• Kajsmir

Jun 12th 2012, 16:21

I don't know what is everyone complaining about, it sure isn't perfect but it's a great movie, I think time will do this film justice... BTW have you thought about Theron's character being an android as well? (next gen, with feelings), it explains her behavior, surgery machine being configured for a male (i.e. not for her)

• ChrisWootton

Jun 12th 2012, 16:25

surgery machine being configured for a male (i.e. not for her), I saw that as a medibot for Weyland senior. To be honest, I thought they were all androids

• FBJRider

Jun 12th 2012, 16:32

@ilikescifi, I assume his comment "Everybody wants their parents dead?" refers to when he says that if Weyland was dead then he would be free. Obviously as a child your parents pretty much dictate your life, they tell you what to do, what to eat, when to go to bed etc. I think he's saying that everybody wants their parents dead so they live for themselves. That's just my opinion anyway.

• FBJRider

Jun 12th 2012, 16:35

I think most people dissing this film need to watch it a few times, I think it's one of those films where you can't truly appreciate it first time around. You need to keep watching to find it's true meaning hidden under it's superficial side. I love it, I think it's a great prequel and I'm sure the next one and the next one if their is a second sequel will set up the original Alien beautifully.

• mrdriller

Jun 12th 2012, 18:32

@Ali1748 you must think very highly of yourself to make such delarative statements as 'but his missed the mark and showed he's no longer an elite director.'. I'm sure Ridley Scott is glad you 'admire' his 'effort'. Just because you couldn't get your head around some concepts the film didn't want to spell out for you doesn't mean it isn't a well shaped and crafted piece of fiction. And since it's a film, shouldn't it be judged by every aspect? Not just the fact that everyone seems to have a problem with the fact that Ridley Scott wanted to continue the story and so the ending isn't complete/final. Everyone's a critic.

• thedanieljson

Jun 12th 2012, 21:07

@mrdriller I think many would argee with Ali1748's comment... I myself do as well! It didn't warrant a condescending insult! Besides, Ridley Scott doesn't seem to get HIS head round all of the concepts considering the film's massive holes.

• veers

Jun 12th 2012, 21:32

Hey people, have any of you read this analysis of Prometheus by a guy called Cavalorn? It should be easy to find. The catch in the analysis is that the BIG plot and confusing plot twists make actually perfect sense, if one has enough knowledge about stuff and then thinks hard enough. There is no pressing need for a sequel, everything just probably was written so convolutedly in hopes that people would hopefully demand a sequel... The bad news is that NO amount of knowledge and thinking can explain the cardboard characters, their astonishing stupidity even though they are a hand-picked elite group, and the plain impossibilities (anyone tried to walk with their abdominal muscles cut and then just *stapled* together?). Plus, the movie really doesn't engage the viewer in the way it should. Waiting to see who dies next is really pointless when no answers to questions posed at the beginning by Peter Weyland are not actually answered directly.

• FBSHarrigan

Jun 12th 2012, 22:45

Promethus was an okay film. The visuals and scenery was easily the greatest part of the film. The ending cannot really fit in with Alien at all, but ignoring that fact, it was a pretty fun watch. I do not think this film warrants a sequel and Riddley Scott should stop pushing his luck. The trailer made so many promises that the film did not keep. There were lots of superfluous characters and plot points. The blonde corporate lady did not even matter in the slightest. http://www.videodetective.com/movies/prometheus/236966#.T9fGWtWWeJQ

• ilikescifi

Jun 13th 2012, 13:48

i agree with @Kajsmir! time will serve this film well. much like blade runner. it's the overarching themes, subtlety and attention to detail will prevail. AND will everyone stop criticising the 'elite team of scientists' as obviously they're a narrative tool, they represent the supposed personalities of the future. yet, i would have liked if Weyland was a mentor figure rather than petulant trillionaire. BTW them casually hopping out into an alien planet without remote geological surveying is because in the future we explore new planets ALL THE TIME it's no biggie. Thanks @FBJRider and i also thought it could be a clue as to why humans were destined for destruction-because we now had the means to destroy our creators

• parochial1

Jun 13th 2012, 23:06

Agree with the idea that this one will be a slow burner. Visually this film is stunning. No cheap 3D tricks. The CGI is less convincing in that his film feels more modern than Alien which is set further into the future. I think the reason the CGI looks so out of place is the realism of most of the film. The use of sets over Chroma Key perhaps makes this jar even more. A sequel? It will need a pretty special script to explain a proper origin philosophy. I mean, the Bible made a good stab at it, but Ridley really needs something more believable to nail it for a sequel... Some things should be left hanging. Shaw should have taken off her helmet and died. Off course, we need an Engineer spaceship to move to LV 426 ...

• ChrisWootton

Jun 14th 2012, 8:29

Ladies and gentlemen, the weakest defence for Prometheus yet "will everyone stop criticising the 'elite team of scientists' as obviously they're a narrative tool,".... Man, you REALLY likescifi if you can ignore the woeful performances and nil characters.

• veers

Jun 15th 2012, 18:46

I am really starting to wonder how much the end result is whose fault exactly? Most of the faults are in the script, which is credited to only two people, Spaihts & Lindeloff. On basis of Prometheus and his only previous writing job, The Darkest Hour, Spaihts is not very good in the job he is doing. Lindelof, on the other hand, has a talent for coming up with good ideas, but also trouble delivering the goods in the end (Lost, Cowboys & Aliens). So they are to blame, right? ••• Then, one reads something like this (direct quote) snippet from Theron: "I felt like the character was just a little one-dimensional. [Damon Lindelof] stepped in, and I got on the phone with him and Ridley, and I threw very loose cannons towards him, with no specific ideas, but just wanting her to be somewhat more layered. --- She starts out one thing and ends up another thing. It’s a pretty nice surprise, toward the third act". That would be the "Father!" thing, right? I just wonder how much really is from Ridley himself, who was in the project first, after all. ••• Aside: Theron could use some knowledge of dimensions: cardboard characters have *two* dimensions, height and width, but no depth - the third dimension which makes for a fully realised "character with depth" as the saying goes. Yes, it is common for people to misuse the expression "one-dimensional", but it still doesn't make it correct, just as calling a surface a "line" doesn't...

• whiskers

Jul 2nd 2012, 10:19

my personal opinion of prometheus was that it linked in well with the alien 1979 movie so as for some of the comments slating this fab movie down is get a life and stop moning and i will be looking forward to the two more sequels firstly called paradise

• whiskers

Jul 2nd 2012, 10:23

cant believe that you sad people who slate this great film would put a 15 line comment about it you obviously dont know a good movie when you see one just like i said previously get a life you sad people.

• whiskers

Jul 2nd 2012, 10:27

tend to disagree with ridley scott this is defo an alien prequel all the signs are there it is just an other womens adventure what happened before ripleys so stop lying ridley

• Allessior

Jan 17th 2014, 16:35

Well, yes, the "BAD" engineers are aggressive. Remember, there is the "Good" faction of engineers, who in the opening of the movie spoiled the "Bad" engineer's plot of destroying the human race with bio weapons by taking those bio weapons and unleashing them into the environment. That's when all hell breaks lose on LV-223 and all of the "Bad" engineers except for one are destroyed by their own bio weapons. So I think there is still a good chance that Shaw will find "benevolent" "Good" engineers when she finds out where they live. Folks, don't so easily give in to evil! There is still hope.