Ridley Scott to direct new Blade Runner film

No word yet if it's a prequel or sequel

Ridley Scott is set to direct a new version of sci-fi classic Blade Runner

“It would be a gross understatement to say that we are elated Ridley Scott will shepherd this iconic story into a new, exciting direction. We are huge fans of Ridley’s and of the original Blade Runner. This is once in a lifetime project for us,” said Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, co-founders of Alcon Entertainment.

Alcon recently announced that it would be producing Blade Runner sequels and prequels, as well as television and interactive productions based on the film, but this is the first time Scott's name has been included in the project.

It's seems Scott is happy to revisit his previous films, given that he has committed to work on a Blade Runner movie as soon as he's done working on Fox's Alien prequel Prometheus

While fans of Blade Runner will be dying to know more about this new film, there are no available plot details yet and it's also not known if this film will be a prequel or sequel.

The 1982 original, which was based on the Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects and Best Art Direction).

Excited about another movie set in Philip K. Dick's futuristic universe? Want to see Harrison Ford back as Deckard? Think this is just an excuse to release another Blade Runner Blu-ray boxset in a few years' time? Tell us below!

Comments

• murphy

Aug 18th 2011, 22:25

Can't Fu(king wait for this!!!!!!!!

• koolerking

Aug 18th 2011, 23:16

It all depends on ow much the studio want to f%%k with it. Ridley could still knock out a rubbish studio one and take the cash.

• BruceShark

Aug 19th 2011, 0:13

(Tumbleweed)

Aug 19th 2011, 0:51

I still think Ford should do another Jack Ryan movie, but thats me.

• writerdave87

Aug 19th 2011, 1:25

Dalidab, for daring to suggest JUSTIN BIEBER to play Rick Deckard again, I truly hope that you have a very nasty accident. Hopefully including broken glass, scorpions, and sodomising with a chainsaw. SHUT THE f**k UP.

• GarthMarenghi

Aug 19th 2011, 6:23

No, no, no. For f**k's sake Ridley, don't do it! There's no way you could possibly make something as influential and powerful as the original; even if the new film is good, it's certain to seem like a failure in comparison. Still, anything's better than that Monopoly movie he's been threatening us with, I guess...

• Porkchopexpress

Aug 19th 2011, 7:51

I suppose if anyone was going to revisit 'Blade Runner' the best we could hope for is Scott, but his recent output has been less than stellar, my interest rests on what he produces with 'Prometheus'. Unfortunately despite past glories, I think Scott has been left behind in recent times and this and Aliens prequels smacks a little of dining out on former success in the hope of recapturing that elusive lightning in a bottle. Problem is 'Blade Runner' and 'Alien' have been so widely influential on hundreds of films that it's diluted their initial impact, likely anti-climax, i hope I'm proven wrong though.

• MorganRoss

Aug 19th 2011, 7:54

When Ridley Scott makes a hit he knocks it for six, but if you look at his back catalogue he misses more than he hits. Knocking out Alien and Blade Runner back to back put him on the map, but the next good film he made was Gladiator; 18 years later! Legend was alight (only because of a truly magnificent Tim Curry), Thelma and Louise was over rated and the rest he did in that time may as well have been done by Tony instead of Ridley! Save for Black Hawk Down and American Gangster (which Scorsese could've done better with) the rest haven't been much to shout about. Kingdom of Heaven was ruined by Bloom proving he can not, only not carry a film on his own but, act he way out of a paper bag; bad casting of the highest order. Robin Hood... I've got nothing! For a director who can do what he does, as I say when he hits them he's unbeatable, is it a sign that it's time to hang up your hat when you feel the need to start re-hashing your previous works just to get people to go see your films? George Lucas has dome it (one trick pony anyway), but they get away with it claiming 'the fans want it'. I suppose the only good thing about it is that it shows Ridley doesn't want anyone ruining a stellar film he's made by doing a sequel/ prequel that pales in comparison. That said, he wasn't bothered when people first started messing with the Alien franchise; although that may have been because Aliens could've been a film on its own. Although I'm pessimistic about both Prometheus and this Blade Runner (after the poor calibre of recent sequels and prequels how can I not be?), I love the originals, so here's hoping he repeats 1979 - 1982 and goes back to back with two amazing scifi epics!

• trist808

Aug 19th 2011, 10:50

I have very high hopes for Prometheus, from what I've seen so far it could be the best entry in the Alien franchise since Aliens. More than happy for Ridley to re-visit the Blade Runner universe, however it worries me that this could be a re-boot. "New Version" ... errr, no thanks, nothing wrong with the one we've already got ... although Scott has already tweeked it and released a Director's Cut, so maybe he feels it was never quite perfect or the way he truly envisioned it. I'd rather he do a sequel/follow up ... is Deckard really a replicant as heavily hinted at? What are the after effects of Roy's death for both the human race and replicants in general? "Rise Of The Planet Of The Replicants" anybody? lol ... The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see where the story could go and with Scott at the helm I'd have more faith in it. Could be worse, it could be Paul WS Anderson, Michael Bay or McG lined up to bring us more Blade Runner ... (shudder)

• Peachy556

Aug 19th 2011, 11:08

Hmm. The argument that they were going to do this anyway and we might as well have ridley scott direct it makes sense, but then again I actually think they are other directors that could do this better, Duncan Jones perhaps, or perhaps Christopher Nolan. Lets look on the bright side, at least Zach Snyder isn't anywhere near it. My hope hinges on Prometheus, if thats good then there's hope for this. Leave Harrison Ford out of it though, lets try and do something new.

• murphy

Aug 19th 2011, 11:48

Fu(k off dalidab! if that little fu(ker bieber was to get anywhere near this it would automatically render the whole project utter sh!t,do you make these casting suggestions seriously or as some sort of sick w@nk fantasy joke designed to wind people up,either way you are a ridiculous c**t! And Peachy556 i actually like your suggestion of Duncan Jones to make it with Ridley Scott maybe just producing it.

• alexr

Aug 19th 2011, 12:24

@dalidab1982 - I was just wondering WHY you think Justin Bieber should be cast as Deckard? Has he been in anything that shows his ability to produce a performance of such subtle nuance and innate strength, yet have vulnerability like Harrison Ford managed with Blade Runner? Personally, I think if Scott is going to recast the role, then he needs to find someone with the same acting 'chops' as Ford. Perhaps Chris Evans (Cap America) as a younger Deckard maybe? Or if Ford is not interested in reprising the role (as I suspect might be the case) then how about someone like Josh Brolin or Liam Neeson to take over the role? In my honest opinion, Justin Bieber is in that place that Timberlake was in 10 years ago - being suggested for film roles with no idea if he could deliver. The difference is, Timberlake has grown up and proved he has (some) acting talent, whereas Bieber is still a kid, and needs to do some smaller roles before trying out for something that will be so important to fans of the original. I have no issues with him being cast in things once he proves himself, but NOT before...

• alexr

Aug 19th 2011, 12:26

Caveat number 1 - I am not saying that Chris Evans is as good an actor as Harrison Ford, but I believe he is capable of giving us a believeable Deckard...

• alexr

Aug 19th 2011, 12:39

@Hadouken76 - I completely agree. Patriot Games is one of my all time favourite thrillers, and Clear and Present Danger was a great follow up. Would have liked to see Ford finish the story arc of Ryan becoming President by default... Still I guess in the wake of the 2000's and the fact that 24 is still fresh in people's minds, perhaps a terrorist based thriller is not really what we need right now - but thats just me. Anyway - Harrison Ford for Jack Ryan for President!

• FBBDuncan

Aug 19th 2011, 12:52

this could be one of the best remakes of all time! I hope they don't bring back Ford, he's far too old now; time to let a new talented actor become Deckard.

• trist808

Aug 19th 2011, 18:58

I think whatever direction this project may take, having Scott on board makes it a must-see in my book :)

• Hannabella

Aug 19th 2011, 19:56

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.NO GOD WHY NO. Look there's an important rule, if it's not broken, DON'T TRY TO F***ING FIX IT. Blade Runner is one of my most favourite sci fi movies ever and seeing this is making me thing what, WHY? Well on the bright side it isn't directed by Michael Bay. And a origin story, as if we didn't see that, but there has been good origin stories (Batman Begins and X-Men first class.)

• MadMatt

Aug 19th 2011, 21:55

The only truly disappointing film in Scott's post-Blade Runner/pre-Gladiator period is G.I. Jane; this notion that he's always been hit and miss has been given far too much credence given that most directors would love to have Scott's 80s and 90s movies on their filmography. (Legend's cult-awesomeness is not just the result of Tim Curry's brilliant performance; it's a stunning, dreamlike movie thanks to Sir Ridley's unparalleled visual imagination.) There is no question however that over the past ten years as he’s sought to be more prolific his standards have dropped. The positive thing to focus on though is how long it’s taken him to develop and produce Prometheus, and his long-overdue return to science fiction and fantasy. I seem to recall an interview with his son around the time his directorial debut came out where he was asked to give an overview of his father’s films. When it got to G.I. Jane, he said something along the lines of “that one really woke him up” - and immediately afterwards he gave us Gladiator. I’d like to think that the recent tepid box office and critical reaction of his last few films has had the same effect, and we are now entering a new golden period of output. His eagerness to return to the genres that made his name, to try new technology and to turn what started out as an Alien prequel into a cosmic epic along the lines of 2001 should inspire confidence. Fingers crossed his obvious passion for his most iconic movie will result in a worthy companion piece which will have just as much influence over the next 20 years of genre filmmaking as the original had.

• writerdave87

Aug 19th 2011, 23:23

Dalidab your posts are like getting a given a chocolate bar, and a massive angry rabid bear. Yes, the chocolate bar is nice, and it's a little tiny positive. But in comparison to the negative of the huge p********f bear, it's pointless. Yeah, you occasionally come out with a good idea. But it's invariably swapped in torrents of the deluded nonsensical rubbish you come out with about Bieber and the rest of the little boys you want to f**k.

• ilikescifi

Aug 20th 2011, 4:33

I agree with MadMatt. I think Tron really suffered from having a green director, you need someone more adept to handle a highly anticipated reinvention of a cult classic, otherwise it feels like a cash-in. i don't mind if it is a cash-in, i just don't want it to FEEL that way. Indy4 and Tron made me feel like a sucker.

• MorganRoss

Aug 20th 2011, 8:09

If, let's face it when, they do this I'd like them to completely leave Deckard out of it. One of the best things about Blade Runner is the audience being allowed to have there own perception as to whether he's a replicant at the end. If they bring him back it renders the end of the original pointless, it'd be like Nolan doing Inception 2 and starting off by telling us 'he made it out of the dream'.

• Porkchopexpress

Aug 20th 2011, 14:43

"Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." THIS IS WHAT NEEDS EXPLORING! Recast Batty with an albino Jared Leto or Zac Effron (Yes I'm serious, Batty must be pretty!), let's have a Spartacus themed Replicant story of ultra violence, laser beams and moral ambiguity! Scrap the future film noir style, you're not going to better the original, so start from scratch.

• writerdave87

Aug 20th 2011, 23:16

^Best suggestion I've seen on this subject, I'd love a Batty prequel but don't the replicants only age 4 years? So it'd have to be hauser...

Aug 21st 2011, 17:15

Awful idea.

• leeroy

Aug 21st 2011, 19:29

Jesus Ridley,no!!!!Leave it alone will ya?Nothing good can come from this and you may well end up tarnishing the original.Alien may be worth a go though,they've already f****d up that franchise!!!!!

• FBJJarvis

Feb 21st 2012, 19:01

I think Ridley would be to0 proud to release a sh!t movie. He worked for years to release new and better versions of the original that were closer to his original vision. I don't think the studio will have much grip on him this time around. That being said, he can't have Decker come out of retirement again. Decker before the events of blade runner wouldn't be as interesting. Batty's dead so sequel is out for me. Batty would be interesting pre-Bladerunner, but I don't think that's enough. I'm excited to see where this goes.