Robert Downey Jr. in talks to sign new Marvel contract

Negotiations begin over The Avengers 2 and 3

Iron Man 3’s ultra-impressive opening has been bittersweet for Marvel execs, because while the sound of ringing tills will be music to their ears, they will also be acutely aware that Robert Downey Jr. is no longer contracted for any more appearances as Tony Stark.

However, it seems that conversations have begun regarding a potential return, as according to The Hollywood Reporter, Downey attended a private dinner for Disney and Marvel bigwigs in which discussions were tentatively started over a new deal.

Talks are said to be revolving around The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3, in which Iron Man would play a key role. However, a fourth Iron Man film is not thought to be on the agenda as yet, with Downey not guaranteed to lead another solo outing.

Iron Man has been the cornerstone upon which the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been built, and Downey’s charisma has been key to the success of both the individual franchise and last summer’s The Avengers.

It’s understandable then that Marvel should want to bend over backwards to keep him, even if his fee is on the expensive side. After all, Iron Man 3’s opening weekend of $175.3m would suggest he’s probably worth the money...

The Avengers 2 will bring Marvel’s Phase 2 to a close on 1 May 2015, with The Avengers 3 tentatively pencilled in for 2017. Let’s hope the man in the can can be persuaded to hang around for a little while yet...

Would you like to see Downey return for a few more outings? Tell us, below!

Comments

• mattburgess

May 8th 2013, 8:15

I wonder why he wouldn't want to do another Iron Man film? I hope that's not actually true. Maybe he just doesn't want to do one right now? A break would be understandable.

• batt101

May 8th 2013, 8:58

I like this approach, ok so Iron Man 3 has already made loads at the box office, so maybe another Iron Man film is Inevitable. I would like to think Marvel (but probably not Disney) would see beyond the money and make the decision based on where they see the franchise going. Personally Im happy at the thought of no more Iron Man films, I dont think any of them have been that great and think the Tony Stark character worked best in the Avengers. Please, less Tony Stark more new characters!!

• marvelboy

May 8th 2013, 9:03

I agree the Marvel world is so much bigger than Iron man - keeping him in The Avengers is good enough for me, I mean it worked for the hulk.

• mattburgess

May 8th 2013, 9:11

@batt101 - that's funny; you couldn't find two more opposing opinions. Fewer new characters, more development on existing characters, and more Iron Man! ;¬D

• jennifart

May 8th 2013, 9:19

I think it'd be nice for Marvel (and Disney) to progress with their other plans for other characters while knowing that they still have RDJ on their team as Iron Man, because frankly, Tony Stark is RDJ and vice versa, and it'd be difficult to see anyone else don the suit. The article also makes a valid point about how Iron Man is the cornerstone upon which the franchise built itself upon, and changing it could break the MCU as we know it, but in the end, it's up to RDJ to decide whether or not he feels that he wants to continue or not; I hope that he and his management don't make a hasty or forced decision though.

• chibik

May 8th 2013, 10:21

@mattburgess: Even if RDJ would do an Iron Man 4, there's always the possibility that Marvel/Disney could decide they can't afford him. Personally, I think that would be short-sighted of them. I'd love to see more Iron Man movies, but if it came down to either Tony becoming an Avengers-only character or them trying to replace Downey for IM4, I'd most certainly prefer the former.

May 8th 2013, 17:20

I can understand Robert's reluctance for another solo Iron Man outing as he's now 48 and probably wants to leave the character behind before Tony Stark gets stale. Besides the way the credits were designed for IM3 it looked like it was the end of the series.

• StevePotter

May 9th 2013, 4:30

We don't really need an "Iron Man 4". His solo adventures were nicely wrapped up with "Iron Man 3", and really, he was basically the star of "The Avengers"