Robert Downey Jr talks Iron Man 3

Says it could be "the best of the three"

Amid all the hype for The Avengers, it’s easy to forget that there is a third Iron Man film on the way. However, Robert Downey Jr still has Tony Stark on the brain, and is excited by the opportunity to make the best Iron Man movie yet…

“I think that we have an opportunity with the third Iron Man to make the best of the three,” he told Omelete, “and maybe one of the better superhero movies that’s ever been made.”

“But I think we have to remember what made the first one good,” he continues. “It was very character-driven.  It was very odd.  It was kind of outrageous.  And so I think we have to have the courage to trust that the audience is really kind of cool, and smart.”

Oh Downey, you charmer. Meanwhile, the star also took the opportunity to discuss Tim Burton’s rumoured Pinocchio project, which has seen Downey linked to the role of Gepetto. “I want to talk to him about it, yeah!,” enthused the actor. “C’mon, it’s Tim Burton!”

Iron Man 3 is currently scheduled for a UK release on 3 May 2013, and if it can recapture any of the magic of director Shane Black’s last collaboration with RDJ (the black crime comedy Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), we should be in for a treat.

Which are you more excited for, The Avengers or Iron Man 3?Tell us, below.

Comments

• SiMan

Jan 11th 2012, 13:59

I know they were concerned about straying away from the more reality (of a sorts) based aspect of the first film, but i hope that they introduce the Mandarin as a villain in the 3rd film. It would be interesting to see how a man of science like Stark copes when he comes up against magical elements that he does not understand and cannot account for. Should add an interesting dynamic to his character.

• joker16

Jan 11th 2012, 15:45

Why don't you take a break from collecting paycheck's and do something of quality for a change?

Jan 11th 2012, 16:55

My hope with Shane Black involved perhaps they might tackle Stark's alcohol abuse.

• Tscissorhands90

Jan 11th 2012, 19:41

It cant be much worse than Iran man 2. Can it?

• FBJMontello

Jan 11th 2012, 20:42

it can if its called Iran Man hahaha

• writerdave87

Jan 11th 2012, 22:38

Iran Man... best typo EVER.

• ChrisWootton

Jan 12th 2012, 14:06

A friend of mine's kid asked her the other day if the Iron Lady was Iron Man's sister..

• EddieFelson

Jan 13th 2012, 12:18

@ ChrisWootton I actually laughed out loud! like the way he said "could be the best of all three" therefore I will take from that Could be the best, could be the worst, who gives a sh*t as long as he gets a big fat paycheck!

• alexr

Jan 13th 2012, 17:18

@TheKingofDalidab All that 'messing about' you are referring to was done to set the scene for people like me who had never read any Iron Man comics and knew f**k all about the character (I have since corrected this fatal flaw in my entertainment base). If they had gone straight into the action and humour, it would have been a s**te film that alienated some of its core audience right from the off. Come to think of it, I don't think I liked Iron Man 2 much at all - but I'll have another watch just to be certain. I agree that there should only be one more Iron Man movie (and Sherlock Holmes movie for that matter - Game of Shadows was 20 minutes too long for me, with too many scenes that didn't ned to be there) and it should be as good as the first film. Perhaps with him retiring as Iron Man and leaving Rhodes to handle all his duties (while he falls further into alcoholism a la Demon in a Bottle), only to find that Rhodes can't save the day when a terrorist attack claims a lot of lives and Rhodes is blamed for it (a little like the Civil War story line, replacing the New Warriors with War Machine and have Nitro explode tryign to kill him). This could then kick start the next Marvel crossover film...Avengers:Civil War...