Robert Downey Jr. would have played Lex Luthor in McG's Superman

Director reveals what might have been

Back when Warner Bros were toing and froing over how best to bring Superman back to the big screen in the early noughties, there was a stage at which McG was poised to direct his take on the Man Of Steel.

The director recently gave an interview to The Playlist, in which he elaborates on his vision for the project, which apparently involved Robert Downey Jr. as Lex Luthor.

The Charlie's Angels helmer had come up with a reboot entitled Superman: Flyby, and was all set to film until Warner and McG fell out over the studio's desiire to shoot the film in Australia in order to save on money. Instead, the studio turned to Bryan Singer, and Superman Returns was born.

Now, McG has revealed just what we could have seen from a script written by a young J.J. Abrams...

"We had Robert Downey Jr. locked up to be Lex Luthor," he says, "which I think would have been extraordinary. Ironically, we liked Henry Cavill a lot, but we hadn’t cast him yet. J.J. wrote the script, and we got that to a really good place in the end. But I'm to blame [for the film not happening]."

Apparently, Scarlett Johansson and Selma Blair were in talks to play Lois Lane, while Shia Labeouf was in place to play Jimmy Olsen. The mind boggles... Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel opens in the US on 14 July 2013.

What do you make of McG's ideas? Would Downey have made a good Luthor? Tell us, below.

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Feb 21st 2012, 16:19

• mcghater

Feb 21st 2012, 16:20

see see this is why i hate the cu nt

• badger86

Feb 21st 2012, 16:31

We all dodged a bullet with this s**t load of f**k. Does anyone else have the feeling that dalidab will think this was a great idea?

• marc96

Feb 21st 2012, 16:43

i was going to say that i would hacve been interested to see that as i like rob d. jr, but fear i'll now get a backlash after the comments above (be kind to me lol)

• writerdave87

Feb 21st 2012, 16:54

I would have liked RDJ's take on Luthor I'm sure, but I hate the title and I hate McG.

• demmike

Feb 21st 2012, 17:13

I prefer the title McG: Jog on The long version would be McG: Jog on you talentless c*nt

• thedanieljson

Feb 21st 2012, 17:29

Flyby!?! Didn't Super Tupac get killed in one of those?

Feb 21st 2012, 18:04

Yeah, McG is part of the 'hack pack' which includes: Ratner, Wiseman, WS Anderson. Although he does rise slightly above the sh*tpool having produced the bonkers and brilliant Human Target.

• thedanieljson

Feb 21st 2012, 18:08

That said, other than Watchmen (and that's debatable, though I liked it) Snyder's output isn't exactly brilliant.

Feb 21st 2012, 18:10

Would RDJ still have been the hottest ticket in town had this happened ?

• badger86

Feb 21st 2012, 18:30

I like RDJ but his lex luthor would have been a slightly menacing Tony Stark. As far as snyder goes, Sucker Punch was terrible, the owl film was bad, DOTD was great, 300 was ok and i loved Watchmen despite it's flaws, so i'm willing to give him the benifit of the doubt. Lets not forget that he also has Nolan guiding him so my hopes are fairly high.

• sergal

Feb 22nd 2012, 3:02

find out more about real Scarlett by typing Scarlett Johansson clone in Google search bar and you would see much more then in The Island movie..

• EddieFelson

Feb 22nd 2012, 12:30

So very glad this didn’t happen, it sounds truly awful, RDG is a great actor but can’t see him as Lex Luthor. I agree with badger86 regarding Snyder’s previous films but I am really looking forward to Man of Steel. Henry Cavill looks the part and doesn’t look out of place in costume, with Nolan behind him as well I’m sure it will be better than any of the sh*t McG had to offer.

• alexr

Feb 22nd 2012, 12:50

@sergal If I ask these German cloning people nicely, do you think I can have one to order?

• FBJRider

Feb 22nd 2012, 14:08

You know what, that sounds amazing compared to Returns. Downey Jr. as Lex sounds great.

Feb 23rd 2012, 18:51

Dawn Of The Dead is very underrated IMO.

• loveroflostgirl

Feb 25th 2012, 10:02

Who would have thought anything could make me happy that Bryan Singer made Superman Returns! I mean that films is a total mess (yes even Kevin Spacey's Luthor!), but the Rat's version sounds even worse!

• zeike

Feb 26th 2012, 23:50

@TheKingofCinema, everytime i read one of your comments i wretch uncontrollably. :(