Robin Williams has died, aged 63

Oscar-winning actor found dead in apparent suicide

Truly devastating news to bring you this morning, with US police confirming that Robin Williams has died at the age of 63.

The Oscar-winning actor was found at his home, after an apparent suicide. His publicist revealed that he had been “battling severe depression”.

Having made his name in TV and stand-up, before appearing as a comedic actor in the likes of Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire and Aladdin, Williams would go on to scoop the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 1998, for his role in Good Will Hunting.

The star had openly spoken of his battles with alcohol and drug addiction in the early ‘80s, and his subsequent relapse in 2006 following years of sobriety. He had been thought to have recovered, before returning to rehab last month.

Barack Obama led the tributes, with the US President saying: “Williams arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.”

"He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most - from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalised on our own streets.”

Steven Spielberg described Williams as “a lightning storm of comic genius… he was a pal, and I can’t believe he’s gone.” Meanwhile, Steve Martin said: I could not be more stunned by the loss of Robin Williams, mensch, great talent, acting partner, genuine soul.”

Williams is survived by his wife, Susan Schneider, and three children. The thoughts of all at Total Film are with them at this difficult time.

What are your favourite Robin Williams moments? Share them with us, below...

Comments

• jaykays hat

Aug 12th 2014, 6:11

Very sad news, it just goes to show that even the happiest looking people have problems. RIP Mr Williams you will be truly missed.

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 12th 2014, 7:37

So sad and angry by this news. You will be missed Robin Williams. I saw your standup and never laughed so hard in my life. NaNoo.

• vincevega

Aug 12th 2014, 10:01

:-(

• glender

Aug 12th 2014, 10:36

RIP, Thank you for your genius Robin :(

• Aberskene

Aug 12th 2014, 11:54

I never get too upset when I hear that an actor, singer, famous person has passed away. Obviously, I don't know any of them personally. But, with Robin Williams I was genuinely upset this morning, still am. The enegy and 'light' that seemed to emit from the man was contagious and he amused and entertained me all throughout my childhood and adulthood. Sad to see that his demons got the better of him, but the world was a far better place for him being in it. Rest in Peace you fantastic man.

• endofdays2

Aug 12th 2014, 12:40

One Hour Photo. Good Will Hunting, Insomnia. Mrs Doubtfire. Dead Poets' Society. Hell, I even love Bicentennial Man despite the critical mauling it got. Just a few films that made this guy awesome. Along with Mork and Mindy obviously.

Aug 13th 2014, 1:52

Oh Captain, My Captain :-( still bummed out by this news, Robin was a comedic genius.

• slipperyeel

Aug 13th 2014, 10:58

I wasn't a big fan of most of his comedic stuff, but he was a fantastic dramatic actor. His performances in both Insomnia and One Hour Photo were chilling and creepy. And his turns in Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society and Awakenings were all brilliantly played. And Hook kicks a**e too!

• TheEnigma