Roland Emmerich says Will Smith won't return for Independence Day sequel

And he's only working on one sequel for now

Up until now, Roland Emmerich has been full of talk about how the next Independence Day movie will be the starting point for a new franchise, but the latest from the director is that the studio is focusing only on Independence Day 2.

With Independence Day 2 now having received an official release date from Fox, Emmerich was asked whether he would be directing the sequel, and whether it would still be the first of two planned films.

“So far, yes,” said Emmerich in answer to the directorial question, before going on to reveal, “I think they decided to do only one first.”

Obviously Fox isn’t quite confident enough in the property to fully sign up to Emmerich’s multi-picture vision, particularly since Will Smith is officially out of the frame to return.

“Will Smith cannot come back because he’s too expensive, but he’d also be too much of a marquee name,” says Emmerich. “It would be too much. We have like maybe half of the people that you know would know from the first film and the other half people who are new.”

Independence Day 2 will open in the US on 3 July 2015, with a UK date to be confirmed.

Are you interested in a sequel without Will Smith? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Strangerer

Jun 24th 2013, 8:28

As long as The Goldblum is back.

• garyu2

Jun 24th 2013, 8:31

Good. His attempt at being superbadass was just casual and unrealistic. Too many quips. Aliens have taken over the earth, and he's punching them out and doing Arnie impressions. I felt he ruined the whole movie. Actually the entire film is full of cornball Pro-USA dire-logue which is actually hard to watch now.

• crystakura

Jun 24th 2013, 9:56

Goldblum or f off.

• chibik

Jun 24th 2013, 11:54

@garyu2: When I first watched the original, I was 12 years old. That kind of makes it easier for me to love it today. I'm fairly certain this bias won't extend to the sequel, though, so I'm hoping they play it down.

• ilikescifi

Jun 24th 2013, 13:25

I think '2012' showed that this directing team has broadened their storylines to not revolve around America, less cornball, more global threat. Maybe it will be a team of Chinese scientists, not an American computer programmer that saves the world this time. btw I agree with everything @garyu2 said.

Jun 24th 2013, 19:18

I hope this is the start of Will looking for more interesting material and it's not just because his price is too high.

• jeffreyholland

Oct 25th 2013, 8:56

I dont think will smith carried the movie.....but I would like to see his wife back.