Rumour: Arnold Schwarzenegger to star in new Conan trilogy?

That's the plan according to studio boss

Arnold Schwarzenegger has previously mentioned that a new Conan The Barbarian movie is on his agenda, but apparently, that film might be the first of three.

That's according to Fredrik Malmberg, CEO of Paradox Entertainment, the current holders of the rights to the Conan franchise...

"We have a great story," says Malmberg. "Everyone loves it. This is a role that’s perfect for [Arnold] and he’s very involved with the whole Universal team. It’s the best team they have. Arnold has been very instrumental to bringing this together saying, ‘We gotta make a good Conan!’"

"I think if we do this right, we can do two more Conan movies right after," he continues. "I think Game Of Thrones also shows a huge interest in fantasy. I’m psyched about it."

The next film will apparently pick up many years after the original, with Conan having passed into legendary status, only to return in his kingdom's hour of need…

“The idea is that this takes place after Conan has been king," says Malmberg. "But this is the legend of Conan where he has been gone and people say, ‘Do you remember the good ol’ days when Conan was around?’ And now it’s time for him to come back."

Would you welcome a new Conan trilogy? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Jul 29th 2013, 6:50

Kind of like the real Arnie?

• BobTheSkull

Jul 29th 2013, 8:20

Only that now the real Arnie is back, we are wishing he hadn't. It's going to be the same with Conan. I'm sorry, but as much as I loved my Arnie films in the past, he's too old to pull off any of the roles he had before. He was horrendous in Expendables 2 and this next Terminator has me worried.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Jul 29th 2013, 10:03

Completely agree with Skull - hats off to everything that Arnie has achieved during his life (Mr Olympia 7 times, arguably the biggest move star in the world during the 80's, Guv'nor of California) but he now genuinely seems like a guy who is lost in his career and is desperately trying to cling on to the good times. His movies were good in the 80's because they were violent, mindless action with a beast of a lead star - but he has never been a good actor. The problem is now that he's trying to 'act' in films but the movie world has moved on now and sadly, it just ain't gonna work for the big man.

Jul 29th 2013, 18:19

Arnie just let go and accept the fact your time is over as a star.

• GarthMarenghi

Jul 29th 2013, 21:55

Sod the lot of you miserable gits! ;) I can't wait for this - he'll be playing his own age - as the character was depicted at the end of the original movie - and seems genuinely motivated for this. Certainly couldn't be any worse than the dire remake with its tedious story, terrible acting, lousy CG and general plasticky blandness.

• Mattsimus

Jul 29th 2013, 22:01

Welcome bk Arnie.... The real Conan has been missed!... I will actually now contemplate seeing this if he's in it, n lets face it the only reason expendables 1 & 2, did any box office was cos Arnie Cameo's in both. That said this is the only role that can work for him at his now age if they approach it from the right angle,..... Returning legend? Yeah that's a winner regardless of whatever cliche is apparent....... Plus he's always gonna be a star, I welcome every Arnie movie (not sure bout T5 though) : p

• ThrashGordon

Jul 30th 2013, 11:48

Crom laughs at your worries.

Jul 30th 2013, 14:40

A one off King Conan movie had my curiosity but this trilogy idea did not attract my attention.

• Mattsimus

Jul 30th 2013, 19:18

Agreed I'm not sure about a trilogy but if anyone can make a one off Conan movie work it can only be Arnie n yes Crom indeed rejoices as the time hath finally come!...... Woooooooo