Rumour: Chris Nolan to produce and Zack Snyder to direct Justice League?

Warner hoping to persuade Christian Bale to return

The status of Warner’s proposed Justice League movie has been surrounded by question marks over the last few weeks, with reports suggesting that the film will only get the green light if Man Of Steel is a success.

The latest whisper comes from Latino Review, who have suggested that Man Of Steel’s producer / director team of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder may repeat the trick for Justice League, with both men reprising their roles for the prospective project.

“Christopher Nolan has completely taken over the DCU at Warner Bros,” claims the site. “Anything having to do with these super heroes, goes through him now.”

Intriguingly, the site goes onto suggest that Warner is hoping to persuade Christian Bale to return to the cape and cowl to play Batman to Henry Cavill’s Superman, with the Justice League movie set to focus on the dynamic between those two characters.

All of which sounds a mite fanciful to us, particularly given how keen Nolan was to round of his trilogy with a definite sense of finality. Would he really be keen to overhaul his ending and throw Bale’s Batman back into the line of fire?

We shall have to wait and see. In the meantime, Man Of Steel will open in the UK on 14 June 2013.

Would you like to see Bale's Batman return? Tell us, below!

Comments

• BobbyTwoTimes

Mar 4th 2013, 9:40

Bale back as Batman would make this film 10 times more interesting for me. The thought of another Batman coming in - and even rumours of Cavill not returning either - makes this sound a bit of a mess to be honest. Can't see it fitting in with the Nolan Trilogy though.

• BobTheSkull

Mar 4th 2013, 11:44

IMO, this is probably the only way to make Justice League work. Bale's Bat already established, Cavill's Supes soon to be the same, that way you at least have a solid ground to work from without having to redo swathes of material, and keep joe public on side. Any other way I just don't see working. Although I don't see this happening either unless a shedload of money is dropped at certain peoples feet - which would probably overload the budget before it even Begins.... (see what I did there? see? see? *sigh*)

• MoodyMonkey

Mar 4th 2013, 12:35

Call me cynical but I think WB/DC have been doing this for years. Instead of a director actually pitching something and them taking a risk, they leak an idea to the public and if it takes, then they green light it. They have no idea of what they are doing and worse they will not try and change. They really need a Kevin Feige type to oversee the DC movies and Nolan, though one of my favourite directors is totally wrong for an executive type role (i wanna see him direct something again damnit). Bruce Timm or Geoff Johns should be allowed to take charge IMO...

• SiMan

Mar 4th 2013, 14:29

Geoff Johns being the 'go-to-guy' is a good shout - wurely they need someone involved with the comics directly as the one who would look at tying all their movie franchises together. Although this does all sound a little much like wishful thinking, a team-up type story would make sense in terms of reasons for Bale's batman to return. I think all the negative critisism by some people (myself included) of the ending of the TDKR and the possibility of someone else becoming Batman would not sit well with Nolan. I'd imagine if one of his films was perceived to be flawed he'd be the type of director who'd want to address that in some way. I hope this story does turn out to be true - if so, DC would be a huge step closer to competing with Marvel's films, but i'm not holding my breath on this one.

• moviemind91

Mar 4th 2013, 16:14

Bringing back Bale would mean a lot of explaining to do. I thought Nolan ended his Dark Knight trilogy so well I think carrying it on with JL is a big risk. With him being involved as a producer makes me feel that the JL film actually has hope of being a success after all. They'd definitely have to have Henry Cavill as Superman though as it would just seem strange having another man playing him when we know we recently had a new Superman franchise. There is still a lot of work to do in order for this film to work. They need to find a way to reinvent Green Lantern, Wonder Woman etc.

• SteveMcc

Mar 4th 2013, 16:47

I don't know what to make of this news, I think that Bale as Batman is a must...however if you are bringing him back you would have to tie it in with him vanishing off to Italy and being convinced to come back! Which I think would probably need a good 3/4's of an hour or so of screen time to explain. I think if this movie happens any time soon it will all depend on how well Superman does and wether there is actually any mention of a Batman or other Heroes within the movie, because to tie in an entire Justice league within one movie would be just madness in my opinion! I would say wait and see how Superman does at the Box Office and then attempt to build a Justice League and variation or overall theme of Superhero's across the world into Superman 2 before Justice League is even considered

• AlfredsDream098

Mar 4th 2013, 19:31

The movie would work now because of this. But the end of TDKR is perfectly final so overhauling it doesn't seem right. Christopher Nolan being involved in some way is also great and considering how experienced he is (and how amazing Man of Steel is looking) Snyder seems perfect for directing. The tone will now be right and the characters are established so the movie won't have the sense of cluttering. Even if Bale returns, it won't effect the credibility of the Trilogy.

Mar 4th 2013, 22:26

I want this rumor to be true I really do but I just can't picture Nolan dedicating his time and life to overseeing the DC universe. Zack Snyder directing JLA on the other hand I can picture happening, in fact I've even posted it on this site a couple times that I think WB will give him the gig after Man Of Steel conquers the box office.

• GarthMarenghi

Mar 4th 2013, 22:51

Ugh. More Bale Bat-Voice. Just when you thought he was out, they pulled him back in...

• FBALeal

Mar 5th 2013, 22:18

This would be good for Justice League. Having all the right ingredients that made The Dark Knight trilogy and that raised the bar for superhero movies would ensure us quality movies and finally allow Warner to compete with Marvel Studios. But I am not convinced it's true though.