Rumour: Christian Bale offered $50m to appear in Batman Vs Superman?

Could he return to face Henry Cavill?

Rumours have been swirling around the web recently that suggest Christian Bale has been offered a whopping payday - to the tune of $50m - to return as the Dark Knight in the upcoming Man Of Steel sequel, presumed to be titled Batman Vs Superman.

While some high-profile news sites and tabloids have been reporting on the subject, as EW points out, the speculation is actually based on an excerpt from an e-book called, Beyond Batman: The Unauthorized True Story Of Christian Bale And His Dark Dilemma.

Author Vincent Russel bases his assessment of the situation on a New Year’s Eve 2012 discussion with a contact at Legendary Pictures, who said of a potential Justice League film: “He could probably make $50m for being in the movie 20 minutes.”

So far, there’s no solid evidence that negotiations with Bale are even in place. In July 2013, Bale referred to the Batman role as “a torch that should be handed from one actor to another,” adding, “I enjoy looking forward to what somebody else will come up with.”

A return for Bale would jar with the theme of finality that ran through The Dark Knight Rises and its marketing, and it would feel strange for this particular incarnation of the character to return without Christopher Nolan in the director's chair.

Until Zack Snyder casts an actor in the MOS sequel, expect this particular rumour to rumble on and on…

Would you actually want to see Bale back? Tell us below…

Comments

• BobTheSkull

Aug 15th 2013, 10:46

And so it begins............................. No pun intended....

• Chufferstud

Aug 15th 2013, 10:49

My gob will be smacked if he says yes to this...but if he's seen a nice condo somewhere and needs, say $50m to buy it, he may be tempted to phone in the performance. God forbid the rumours of Orlando Bloom getting the part! Still not sure it's a great idea anyway, it's the whole Vs thing, sounds cheap and tacky.

• magicwings

Aug 15th 2013, 11:06

Guys, do your homework. This is the source: “He could probably make $50 million for being in the movie 20 minutes,” my friend [who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and many other films produced by Legendary Pictures] observed. “And it would be worth every penny to the studio.” Sources close to Christian Bale have reportedly begun expressing their suspicions that Bale now views the Batman films in the same light that Robert Downey, Jr. views the Iron Man films." That's on Page 3 of a 27-page ebook called "Beyond Batman: The unauthorized true story of Christian Bale and his Dark Knight dilemma". You can read it online (I can't post the link here but christ, do some Googling for god's sake)

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 11:07

I really don't like this new trend of "dark" movies... Bond, Batman, Superman... they are all heroes for goodness seck! why the hell are they getting beaten up, saved by the girl, depressed and all that... yes, a bit of difficulties during the movie is ok, but for me, they are heroes and need to remain heroes! this trend of the "dark", oh wow we are so analysing their feeling and all and yes they have their flaws and blah blah blah... NO! I really preferred Brosnan as Bond, Keaton as Batman, and Reeves as Superman... I would love a beefed up Matthew Goode to play the bat!... now, rant over :-)

• dokuromu

Aug 15th 2013, 11:09

Gerard Butler would be a cool Batman! :D

• BobTheSkull

Aug 15th 2013, 11:16

@magicwings, you do realise that the details you rant about in your post are actually in the article we just read?

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Aug 15th 2013, 11:41

Batman v Superman. Yawn. Batmans were all good, Supermans have all been shinola except Richard Donners original. Move on, make something new fcs!

• BobbyTwoTimes

Aug 15th 2013, 12:19

Who cares - MOS was s**te! And this is best left an idea than ever making it a movie. It will be a massive disappointment I guarantee you.

• smellyhands

Aug 15th 2013, 12:38

Who gives a rats a*s? The film will more than likely be rubbish if its made by Snyder. Plus name a good V's film. Excluding Freddy Vs Jason. That was stupidly hilarious.

• spid2411

Aug 15th 2013, 13:47

Agree with the 3 posts above - who gives a s**t about this? Its a bad idea designed for people who like the light and happy d******s comic book movies i.e. those with no brains. The Dark Knight trilogy was great - let Marvel do the happy go lucky immediately forgettable s**te. ps and agree with BobbyTwoTimes - MOS was utter s**te, a major disappointment despite TF trying to pretend it was great by giving it 4 out of 5 (why?).

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 14:00

I agree with TF giving 4 stars to MoS, was definitely better than Returns and Knight Trilogy was a good 3 movies about the Joker and Bane but not about Batman who gets beaten up all movies along, saved by the girl, doesnt save anyone... no wonder everyone loves Heath in Batman, because it was a movie made for him... as I said, it's that new trend to emphasize on the vilains and on the "dark" side... i know it's trendy to like the "dark" movies and denigrate the "happy go lucky" movies, but "dark" doesn't make it good... it's actually more difficult to make a good "happy go lucky" movie than a "dark" movie.

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 14:14

@smellyhands... Kramer vs Kramer? ;-)

• spid2411

Aug 15th 2013, 14:43

The Dark Knight films are "dark" because they are based on the Dark Knight comics. I really hate the use of that word though - if "dark" now means that a film is more complex and not just bland, happy go lucky fluff that you see once and then never need to see again then that is a GOOD thing. This argument that there is too much of the "dark" stuff is nonsense - the vast majority of comic book movies are light in tone. And the vast majority are also very poor. If the source material is "dark" (i.e complex with interesting characters who don't just fly in and save the day before f*****g the girl) then make the film that way. Watchmen and Sin City were similar in tone (as was Dredd) and that is how they SHOULD be. If you want light empty headed fluff then go see it - there is plenty of it to keep you happy (The Avengers, Iron Man, Bond, Captain America, Thor, Grown Ups 2) and let the people who want a bit more than that from their fantasy films enjoy the limited number of quality "dark" movies there are out there. ps and for those who claimed MOS was "dark" - was it f**k. The last hour of that mess of a a movie was designed for the brain dead - only the brain dead could sit through an hour of non-stop explosions and chaotic onscreen battles with no consequence and not be bored beyond belief. If that is your bag, enjoy Transformers 4 when it comes out and other such s**te.

Aug 15th 2013, 14:47

Man of Steel was great screw the haters.

• BobTheSkull

Aug 15th 2013, 14:49

Spid, want your dummy back?

• Trickycustomer

Aug 15th 2013, 14:53

I'd like to hear a reason for bale turning down that kind of money!

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 15:08

@spid, you see, a vast majority of "dark" movie lovers... like you... don't seem to be able to be able to use the words "I think" or "in my opinion"... most of them are pretentious people thinking that because something is dark it will be better quality and deeper... which is wrong, and i don't use "in my opinion" because it's true. yes I like the marvel movies (although, will certainly not go see Grown ups 2) and I can't wait for the new star wars and I even liked the prequel, and I don't need a 5 hours moldovan movie to pretend I am some kind of "real" movie buff or don't need to have a "dark" movie to say it has depth. I much prefered the Burton movies and much prefer the Brosnan or Connery Bonds and I really liked Man of Steel, it even gave me goose bumps. I don't say "this is sh*t and this is great" because I appreciate that all is relative and it is a matter of opinion, which is something "dark" lovers don't seem to understand... you anyway.

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 15:09

thank Ali1748, agree, was a great movie.

• ilikescifi

Aug 15th 2013, 15:10

look what Ruffalo did with the hulk, have some imagination , batman will outlive Bale

• smellyhands

Aug 15th 2013, 15:19

@vincevega Hahaha. I'll let you have that.

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 15:20

It just feels when I read you (I’m sure If we were face to face it would be different) that if you like marvel movies and don’t like dark knight, you’re a superficial idiot when no sense of good cinematography. And if you think marvel movies are cr@p with no depth and dark knight was genius and beautiful, you are a connoisseur… this is not true, it’s a matter of opinion. Even for Grown Ups… (Although, maybe just an exception on Sandler’s films? Lol) @ilikescifi, agree totally... Ruffalo did a great job and batman will definitely outlive bale...

• Chufferstud

Aug 15th 2013, 15:36

Bale was a c**p Batman, but great as Bruce Wayne, Keaton was the other way round. Batman Returns will always be the best Batman...in my opinion of course :) I've never understood the notion of something being 'dark' either, surely it's just the tone of the film? Maybe moody is a better word to use and Bale sure does moody!

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 15:48

Chuffer, when I say "dark", I mean looking at the dark side of the heroes and story, focus more on the vilains and on the "human" side of the heroes, same happened with Bond, he used to be able to fall from a plane and still get up sparkly clean and put back his tie with class and now he is covered with bruises, gets beaten up, and hardly save anyone if it wasn't from the help of side kicks... those who like those sort of movies usually like fight club and those sort of movies concentrating on the bad side of people, because it's trendy to concentrate on the "dark" side (sorry... bit changing subject but it is usually true, as spid ;) I think Keaton was a great Wayne as well but I see your point, but I think Nicholson was a far better Joker. The only role Bale was good at in my eyes was american psycho, and he sure could do moody in it! ;)

• BobTheSkull

Aug 15th 2013, 16:08

@vince, I agree 100%. Comic's wise, I was always a DC fan more than Marvel. But for me the Marvel films have been great fun, entertaining films - with a great deal of re-wwatchability. DC's slate have been very much hit or miss. I liked Batman Begins, loved Dark Knight but absolutely despised Dark Knight Returns. In my opinion, it was terribly executed. I really enjoyed MoS, thought the characters were brilliant - although the last 45 minutes were too OTT for my personal tastes. I find it very poor taste when someone can't accept that others do not share their view, and therefor are branded as idiots 'with no brains'.

• vincevega

Aug 15th 2013, 16:16

Thanks Bob... there is definitely a brain in that Skull ;-)

• JackC88

Aug 15th 2013, 16:23

I think Bale would be great at Real Madrid. Whoops, wrong feed.

• SiMan

Aug 15th 2013, 18:12

@JackC88 - hahaha - £50m wouldn't be enough though

• SiMan

Aug 15th 2013, 18:18

Also, I've said it before, but, doesn't this show that DC are just jumping on a band-wagon and not planning it out correctly. However much money Nolan generated for them (and to be fair, they showed faith in him by giving him the budget to Inception the way he wanted), but they should have put their foot down and not let him end TDKR the way he did. He's made it really difficult, although admittedly not impossible, for them to use that existing franchise to launch a shared DC movie universe. I for one personally do hope they can get bale to return and have it continue on - just purely as a comic book fan and a someone who thinks that however good or bad you believe the Marvel shared universe movies are, you absolutely cannot fault the way they have gone about it and the fact that it is something that has never been done before in cinema. I don't think people give them enough credit for what they did. Sure we've had spin-offs and tie-ins before, but to my knowledge never a shared cinematic universe (and i'm not counting the 'supposed' ones, like Pulp fiction and Resevoir dogs having 1 of 2 brothers in each in of their films)

Aug 15th 2013, 20:53

I only want Bale to return if he's still interested in playing the character, forcing him to return with a lucrative offer won't bring out a good performance. Personally I think Bale and Cavill would really work well together and could produce a lot of chemistry, and I could care less about the realism aspect from the Nolan trilogy cause I don't expect Goyer and Snyder to have them fighting physically throughout the whole movie. Sure they may throw down a little but I expect them to use Batman's intelligence and strategic knowledge to tackle Superman. Alas this is all pointless cause the rumor is false and Bale has made it pretty clear he's done with the character. The media are just getting out of control now because of Marvel's ridiculous deal with Robert Downey Jr, I heard yesterday Hugh Jackman was offered $100 mill for 4 more X-Men movies lol.

Aug 15th 2013, 20:56

Eitherway Batman vs. Superman is still a far more excting project than Age of Ultron.

• dgefuller

Aug 15th 2013, 22:17

Honestly I don't believe that Bale will be back as Batman. DKR was a good ending, and as previously stated it could seem undermined by a return. It's be the same cheap copout that comic fans get year after year with deaths and resurrections. That said, I think Superman is the kind of issue that would draw Batman out of retirement, and could influence a Batman Incoroporated plot line- maybe Bruce never retired, he's just franchising out. It would be a bold step to draw that Batman into a fantastical world. After all, can a man as famous as Bruce Wayne vanish? Twice?

• michaelrushen

Aug 15th 2013, 22:57

I've heard he has been offered £81 million to join Real Madrid!!!!!

• vincevega

Aug 16th 2013, 16:19

Actually, I hope they offer it to Clooney ;)

• DravenCage

Aug 17th 2013, 0:08

@smellyhands - Joe Versus the Volcano?

• nick0

Aug 22nd 2013, 22:39

Bale is batman, no one else would come close.