Rumour: Disney planning 2-3 Star Wars films every year?

There are big plans afoot…

As if the news that there is to be a new Star Wars trilogy wasn’t seismic enough, rumours are now circling that Disney plans to follow-up Episode VII with two or three Star Wars films every year!

An upcoming interview with Entertainment Weekly apparently has Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirming that the studio plans to turn out several movies per year, in order to explore the Star Wars universe to the full.

The thinking is that Disney would like to establish a wider-reaching universe, a la The Avengers, in which a variety of supporting characters are introduced individually, before being brought together further down the track.

Meanwhile, the search for a director for Episode VII is reportedly down two a couple of candidates, with Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams and Zack Snyder’s names still doing the rounds.

All should become clearer over the next couple of weeks, but whatever happens, we’re going to be talking about Star Wars for a good while to come. Episode VII opens in the UK on 17 July 2015.

Would your appetite stretch to three films a year? Tell us, below!

Comments

• apo1978

Nov 16th 2012, 10:49

Tut tut Total Film, have your researchers been sleeping again? You're about a week late with this "news".

• grahampatrick

Nov 16th 2012, 10:58

The original EW article doesn't actually appear to specify 2-3 Star Wars films.....just 2-3 Lucasfilm releases. Could be things like Indy, Willow, Labyrinth or new properties altogether.

• philipcoffey

Nov 16th 2012, 10:58

First I've heard of it. Great news.

• dappersteve

Nov 16th 2012, 11:19

This is inaccurate. Most likely a bogus interpretation of the synopsis of plans at launch 'a star wars film every 2-3 years' Secondly both Spielberg and Snyder have categorically ruled themselves out as candidates to direct, days ago.

• Gindalf0492

Nov 16th 2012, 12:34

If they do, I hope they do Force Unleashed set between the prequels and the sequels, that would be good idea, set it quite dark as well

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Nov 16th 2012, 12:41

This is complete b0llocks. Theres not a chance they would risk their expensive new toy by over saturating the market. Its not TV you know

• Siban1982

Nov 16th 2012, 13:44

Seems false considering how long Disney spend on stuff. Plus, clearly that's what Star Wars needs - for things to be rushed and just spat out. I love how none of the great sci-fi directors are interested.

• stuxmusic

Nov 16th 2012, 13:56

Nah, I call bull. A Week ago it was one Star Wars film every 2-3 years, so yeah. Wires crossed somewhere else.

• apo1978

Nov 16th 2012, 14:03

D'oh! My bad. I meant I heard the rumour of a film every 2-3 years. However, I agree with the comments above that this wires crossed with bullsh!t...

• cc1129

Nov 16th 2012, 15:04

I love the idea of seeing new SW movies as long as they're made well.

• alexr

Nov 16th 2012, 16:31

Can't decide if I like the idea of individual characters getting their own movies in the Star Wars universe and bringing them all together for an event movie... I don't the Star Wars format lends itself to that too well. Having Said that, Empire Strikes Back was pretty much 2 diverging stories that were only brought back together towards the end. Maybe it could work. I dunno. I'm not paid enough to make that decision...

• alexr

Nov 16th 2012, 16:32

*I don't THINK the Star Wars format lends itself to that too well... Is what I meant to say.

Nov 17th 2012, 0:17

Well Disney didn't spend billions on the rights not to milk the franchise.

• lukeworm100

Nov 18th 2012, 21:59

I like how the UK release date is already confirmed. 1 every year is a bit overkill. We all know they will milk it dry but 1 a year, come on...

• acrestare

Nov 21st 2012, 2:11

Don't they mean a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years? I think they have it backwards. Anyway, I think that would be nice if they played it traditional, and it kept it to every 3 years, that way we have something to look forward to over time to build all the excitement.