Rumour: Elizabeth Olsen to play Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2

Could be replacing Saoirse Ronan

The rumour mill's been cranking around Avengers: Age Of Ultron again, and this time it's sloshing out information about the casting of the Scarlet Witch.

While Saoirse Ronan was previously up for the part of the mutant spell-caster, it now seems that Marvel and director Joss Whedon are looking to sign Elizabeth Olsen instead.

That's according to Bleeding Cool, who report that the Martha Marcy May Marlene actress is currently the studio's favourite for the role.

As huge Olsen fans, we couldn't think of anybody better for the Scarlet Witch - she'd be able to bring just the right amount of indie edge to what will surely be a huge Hollywood production.

That said, we'd always imagined Olsen as a potential new Catwoman.

Should she accept the role, Olsen would be working closely with Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who's already signed as Quicksilver, the mutant sibling of the Scarlet Witch.

Also on the horizon for Olsen are roles in the Oldboy remake and Gareth Edwards' Godzilla.

The Avengers: Age Of Ultron opens in 2015.

Who do you want to play the Scarlet Witch? Tell us below...

Comments

• CharsmatcEngma

Aug 21st 2013, 9:09

I'd pick Olsen but that said, Ronan or Olsen is kind of a win win. Two very good actors who i'm sure will find a way to bring the character to life quite well.

Aug 21st 2013, 10:14

I am sorry but Olsen and Ronan are not sexy enough for SW and look nothing like the character.

• chibik

Aug 21st 2013, 11:16

@Ali1748: Make-up and CG, man. Make-up and CG.

• CharsmatcEngma

Aug 21st 2013, 12:12

@ali, if they arent good enough who are? you will be hard pressed to find a young woman who looks like SW with that physique, at least olsen has the boobs for it if they were all pushed up n whatnot.

• SilverSurfer45

Aug 21st 2013, 12:20

Johnson isn't official as Quicksilver yet is he?

Aug 21st 2013, 12:33

I've always felt Alison Brie would be perfect for SW, she's got the looks and style for Whedon's scripts.

• fxchick

Aug 21st 2013, 14:33

Jessica Chastain. She's talented and yet to snag a big budget/franchise film role.

Aug 21st 2013, 16:05

For the record I think both Soarsise Ronan & Elizabeth Olsen are beautiful talented actresses, personally I just don't believe they are right fits for the role. And no, I am not looking for an actress with a ridiculous comic book physique, I just feel they should look for an actress who's voluptuous and has sex appeal. The funny thing is Scarlet Johansson has the looks for Scarlet Witch but she's already Black Widow.

• Wolfy82

Aug 21st 2013, 20:56

Jessica alba from tens years ago lol

• Stephen1984

Aug 22nd 2013, 15:13

They are both very good actresses, but I don't see either of them as Scarlet Witch. I agree with TF, as I think Elizabeth Olsen would make a terrific Catwoman. Alison Brie would be good for Scarlet Witch, as she'd suit Joss Whedon's dialogue. I would say Kat Dennings, but she's already doing the Thor films, so that wouldn't work. Mary Elizabeth Winstead? Then again, I've always thought Winstead would make a good Wonder Woman.

Aug 22nd 2013, 17:48

I could see Winstead as SW, that's actually a really good call Stephen.