Rumour: Episode VII to cast original stars in leading roles?

Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving also being considered for parts

Star Wars: Episode VII news has been extremely hard to come by, but THR has released a glut of new information about the project, including a drastic new direction to be taken by the script.

The report claims that Lawrence Kasdan’s replacement of Michael Arndt was actually the result of a difference of opinion between Arndt and the studio over which characters should occupy the main focus of the film.

According to THR, the new script has Han, Luke and Leia in the leading roles once more, with Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher all set to reappear.

Their offspring will now take supporting roles, as opposed to the spotlight Arndt had been preparing to shine on them, while other parts have been omitted from this version of the script altogether.

Meanwhile, Jesse Piemons is said to be on a list of actors slated to meet with J.J. Abrams this week, while Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving are also said to have had discussions with the director.

Things certainly seem to be hotting up at long last. Star Wars: Episode VII will open in the UK on 18 December 2015.

What do you make of these new developments? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Jan 13th 2014, 8:30

I think I might like this.

• Wolfy82

Jan 13th 2014, 9:43

Me too lol, actually more excited to see this now. Please don't be a flop

Jan 13th 2014, 15:19

Uh oh it's as I feared Disney are going to wheel out the original cast. Get ready for a grey Han Solo and a fat princess Leia. Smh my excitement for Ep VII has now plummeted.

• BobTheSkull

Jan 13th 2014, 16:48

I'm with you Ali. I was all for them bringing back the old cast for supporting roles, passing the torch, so to speak. But having them back as the core cast is not what I was looking forward to. My expectations have dropped considerably.. which is not something I'd expected to happen.

• jeremyschep

Jan 13th 2014, 17:22

I find this unexpected in some ways. Yes, Disney would want to do this simply because they want the original characters audiences know, but Hollywood usually isn't one for having more aged people as the epicenter of their most prominent franchises. I guess with Star Wars though, it's an exception, as it was with Indiana Jones. Hopefully the leading parts will lie more in the ensemble than just a few characters.

Jan 13th 2014, 17:29

Bringing back Luke for a main role makes a lot of sense but I really don't want to see a mature Han Solo hopping around space firing a blaster. I shouldn't blame Disney too much as I am sure Ford and Fisher's agents pushed for more screen time.

• SiMan

Jan 13th 2014, 18:42

Everyone seems to be suggesting that they are going to be playing the exact same versions of the characters; running and jumping around all the time. I doubt this will be the case, so why can't we see how these characters have developed and have someone we know introduce us to the story. I suspect that Hamill, Fisher and Ford will take a back seat in episodes 8 & 9 if this is the way they are going to do it, so it sounds like a reasonable thing to me. As long as the trilogy is about the Skywalker family, i'll be fine