Rumour: Is Robin Williams Dark Knight Rises' Hugo Strange?

Is Batman getting a Robin?

File this one firmly under 'tantalising rumour' for the moment folks: could Robin Williams be set to play Hugo Strange in The Dark Knight Rises?

Batman On Film stoked the rumour with a tweet, and Batman News claims to have a source who believes Strange will turn up in the new movie.

Rumours about the character's appearance in Christopher Nolan's threequel have been circulating for a while now, with Tom Hardy once believed to be playing the character (he's been confirmed as Bane now).

We're taking this one with a huge pinch of salt for now, although it's not entirely out of the realms of possibility.

For one thing, Williams has expressed interest in appearing as a Bat-villain several times in the past.

He's also worked with Nolan before, on Insomnia, when the director effectively tapped the funnyman's inherent creepiness to create a genuinely unsettling villain.

Hugo Strange is set to appear in the upcoming videogame Arkham City, so is this current rumour just fanboy wishful thinking?

With Nolan planning to make The Dark Knight Rises his final Batman movie, would he really want to introduce three new villains (Bane, Catwoman, Strange) into the mix as he's trying to wind down the trilogy?

That would be extremely ambitious to say the least, and one of the best things about Nolan's series so far is the way it has kept the focus on Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Or could Nolan surprise us all and continue with the franchise beyond the third movie? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on our part now…

Do you give any credence to this rumour? Comment now!

Comments

• HugeJackedman

Jan 29th 2011, 15:18

This would be tooo good. I'd love to see Robin WIlliams in a Batman movie. I think Nolan would be able to balance out the villains - Strange would prob just be there to create Bane or something. Plus, you say "one of the best things about Nolan's series so far is the way it has kept the focus on Batman/Bruce Wayne," I'd have to say that Dark Knight was almost primarily focused on the Joker, who definitely upstaged Bruce, yet the right balance was still there.

• McSerious

Jan 29th 2011, 16:03

I'd be inclined to disagree that the Dark Knight was predominantly about the Joker actually. Heath definitely had the juiciest, most eye-catching role, and the massive publicity following his death only added to the focus on the character, but ultimately it was about Batman, his insecurities, his wish for Dent's 'white knight' and his reluctence to kill. The Joker was almost just a tool to highlight these things... Well that's how I see it at least. I think Williams as a villain would be AMAZING! But as you said, three of them in one film? A trilogy closer at that... Not sure it could be done. Whatever Nolan decides though, I trust him. And can't wait!

Jan 29th 2011, 16:47

Arent we entering Spiderman 3 territory here? Catwoman, Bane and now Dr Strange? Nolan got away with it last time becuase Two-face made a very brief appearance, same with Rahs Al-Ghul, but now you have 3 big names fighting for the spotlight.

Jan 29th 2011, 18:07

Now that would be awesome. And no Christopher Nolan isn't Sam Raimi, he's not going to shoe-horn in villains he has no interest in( only a weirdo like Sam would actually dislike Venom.).

• acoluccio

Jan 29th 2011, 19:40

This would work. Nolan hasn't let us down yet, and if he's going for the villain tri-fecta, this would be perfect. Among the movie-going Batman fans, Hugo Strange isn't a face that they have grown accustomed to seeing (like Scarecrow and Ra's in BB). I could easily see Strange helping the police pursue Batman (with hidden true intentions, of course) and being some how linked to Bane's past. Catwoman's involvement is still hard to figure, but Nolan can make it work. As for keeping the focus spread relatively evenly between Batman and the villains, Williams isn't the type of actor anymore who needs a ton of screen time to make his presence known. He's too good, though he hasn't made a good movie in years. I pray that this is true, but wouldn't be surprised if this is just a fanboy rumor. Still, July 2012 can't come fast enough.

• GarthMarenghi

Jan 29th 2011, 22:37

Ali1748 - Raimi never enjoyed the same creative freedom on the Spider-Man franchise that Warners grant Nolan. (An example of this was them covertly developing a reboot without Raimi at the same time he was trying to put together a fourth film, and him subsequently walking away when it looked like another Spidey 3 situation was brewing.) Venom was forced upon him by the studio in order to appease the fanboys begging for him to be included; no one at Warners would force Nolan to include a character a lot of comics fans like but he dislikes (Robin, the Riddler, Penguin), so he's very fortunate. And so are we. And sorry to disillusion you, but quite few of us think Venom is a rubbish character.

• StuartLightyear

Jan 29th 2011, 23:06

Sorry to upset the postitve energy going on here, I just don't think Robin Williams would suit the Nolan trilogy. I'm sure he'd do a adequate job, and I have full trust in Christopher Nolan, but I think there would be better people to play the part..

• Peachy556

Jan 30th 2011, 1:53

Hmm. If this happens, and it's a big f*****g if because the rumour itself seems pretty dodgy, I'm not so sure it'll work. Nolans trilogy has worked by giving Batmans cast of characters fairly contempary, and in the case of Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, obvious faces to play them. I'm really not sure that Robin Williams belongs in these films, to be honest I think he's more than a little past his prime and outdated. He worked in Insomnia because it wnet against his regular persona, and that was cool and clever, but back then he was still relevant. Not only have I not seen him in anything worthwhile in a few years, I'm really not sure I could buy him as an evil mastermind. Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway will both do fantastic jobs, let Williams sit this one out.

• dirksimmons

Jan 30th 2011, 2:46

First off, Robin Williams could totally pull this off. I thought he was really good in Insomnia, and he's proven to be a dynamic actor. Secondly, Catwoman is really more of an anti-hero than a villain. She's even been a love interest of Batman's. I see them going that route with her character, considering Rachel is dead. But, will Scarecrow take on a more substantial role in this movie? We've sort of seen him as the crazy psychologist already. So what does that mean for Hugo Strange, who is also the super-genius psychologist type? Lots of questions, but Robin would be a great addition.

Jan 30th 2011, 6:16

I am just wondering if Bruce's identity as Batman will be discovered in this movie. Remember the employee who found out Wayne Corp was behind the design of Bat's suit and vehicle in TDK, I have a feeling Hugo or Bane will find him and extract that information from him.

• StuartLightyear

Jan 30th 2011, 9:43

I agree with Peachy, Robin Williams is not right for this film, he is the sort of actor you would've expected to be cast as a pre-Nolan trilogy Batman villain.. I would rather not have Mrs. Doubtfire playing a villain in Dark Night Rises

• TheLurkingBat

Jan 30th 2011, 11:28

Interesting idea but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think there's a better chance of him playing Aunt Harriet than Hugo Strange. ...or better yet Aunt Harriet/False Face. peace ^v^

• MadMatt

Jan 30th 2011, 14:26

@Peachy556 Robin Williams wasn't 'relevant' ten years ago either, but he was bright enough to realise that enough people like you and the other naysayers on here needed reminding what a great actor he is. So he made One Hour Photo and the remake of Insomnia (in which he acts Pacino off the screen). Those who doubt him need to see one of his most recent films, World's Greatest Dad. He's fantastic in it; moving and understated (and very funny too). Pefect casting, and as he has so openly pleaded to work with Nolan again in interviews, he clearly would be bringing his A game.

Jan 30th 2011, 21:34

You only need to look at Williams work in Insomnia and Good Will Hunting to see that he's got a talented dramatic side to him. BTW Henry Cavill has just been cast as the new Superman :)

Jan 31st 2011, 1:34

Ever since I saw Henry on The Tudors I just knew he'd be a big star.

• Mixlexic

Feb 1st 2011, 14:17

Good Morning, Vietnam Dead Poets Society Good Will Hunting Insomnia One Hour Photo World's Greatest Dad All you need to prove Williams is a good actor. Its just a rumour but I do think Wiliams could work as Strange as long as he's not shoe horned In. The Spider-man 3 comparisons are unfair both Nolans previous BatMovies have had multiple villians Batman Begins- Ra's, Scarecrow and Falconi Dark Knight- Joker, Two-Face, Sal Maroni and Scarecrow Multiple villians will only drag a film down if they all get an origin story. Nolan is only interested in the Batman. We don't know how Joker, Scarecrow, Ra's came to be they are just there and the same could easily be applied to Hugo Strange. P.S Bored at work so just started typing