Rumour: Is Warner Bros laying the groundwork for Justice League with toys?

Major retailer selling new range of merchandise

While Warner Bros. has been very quiet on the future of a potential Justice League movie, a new tie-up with supermarket chain Target may hold a clue as to the studio's ongoing plans.

Variety reports that Target has reached an agreement with the studio to begin selling a new range of Justice League toys, presenting a number of classic characters in a selection of vintage, retro designs.

Now while this obviously isn't a direct tie-in with a soon-to-be-announced movie, it is interesting that Warner has decided to start promoting the Justice League brand with a new range of toys.

It also might be interesting to note which characters will be included in the new collection, with Aquaman, Batman, Cyborg, The Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman the seven heroes featured.

Any possible Justice League movie is likely to be reliant on a good box-office performance from Man Of Steel, but whether or not that comes to fruition, it certainly seems as though the studio is beginning to lay some of the groundwork…

Would you welcome a Justice League movie? Are you happy to see the characters making a resurgence? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Chufferstud

May 21st 2013, 9:04

I've said it once and I will say it again and again, the JL movie needs to be animated. Imagine if it was in the style of the recent Batman Arkham Origins trailer, it would be amazing! A proper grown up animated film would be original compared to recent superhero films.

• chibik

May 21st 2013, 9:33

I wholeheartedly agree with @Chufferstud. This has to be done in animation.

• FightforKandor

May 21st 2013, 9:38

I have to disagree, Chufferstud. The DC Original Animates Movies line has been pumping out fantastic DC animation (inckuding Justice League movies) for years. Meanwhile, over at the Marvel animation department... *crickets*.

• FightforKandor

May 21st 2013, 9:39

Mind the typos, its early and my eyes are still relatively unfocused.

• Chufferstud

May 21st 2013, 11:33

I am aware DC have been churning out animated JL TV and films, but I'm talking about a proper high-end film that oozes quality. If you haven't seen the Batman Arkham Origins trailer, please do it NOW! It will blow you away. DC are in catch-up with Marvel and I feel they need to take a different direction. But saying that, if Man of Steel does the job then the door is wide open, but apart from Superman and Batman, the other JL characters are second rate to warrant their own films, a Wonder Woman film simply won't have as much appeal on her own.

• MrHibbleton

May 21st 2013, 12:33

As a professional animator myself and a huge DC animation fan I would love to see a fully animated Justice League feature length in the style of Arkham Origins. However this would not be a sound financial investment as the current box office for the DC animations are very low and cater to a niche market. The highest grossing DC animated feature is Superman Doomsday which made just over 9million and Batman Gotham Knight made 8 million. Batman especially got pretty good coverage and marketing. A big budget fully animated CG feature with the Warner Brothers marketing machine behind it would still not reach a wide enough market compared to a live action and would be lucky to break 50+ million. While the DC fans might want it, the DC animation fans do not make up the numbers to turn the film into a 500+ million summer blockbuster. For this they rely on the masses and repeat viewings from the everyday cinema goer.

• SiMan

May 21st 2013, 13:29

There still does seem to be this sort of stigma that an animated movie would only appeal to a younger audience. I think a high-end animated film could be used for things like a Final Fantasy 7 film, or any other type of visually immersive story, but the mass audiences won't go to see it if its not live-action.

• chibik

May 21st 2013, 14:49

@MrHibbleton and @SiMan: Sadly, you speak the truth. Still, it's what I personally would have wanted to see.

• Chufferstud

May 21st 2013, 15:11

If I win millions on the lottery I'll finance it myself and you'll be welcome to the first screening :)

• marvelboy

May 21st 2013, 15:12

But, but ...I would pay to see an animated movie, and I know loads of others that would. I mean like the above comments say Arkham Origins trailer was epic, like a mini prequel more than trailer that would look awesome on the big screen, but I guess Animation costs a lot of money

May 21st 2013, 16:31

No Martian :-(

• colinhilding

May 21st 2013, 19:09

Yeah, cause it's not at all possible this is a line based on the comic book line (that's right, superheroes exist in comic form now as well!) These are the exact characters in the current comic run of Justice League.

• InvisibleZombie

May 21st 2013, 19:56

I think Hollywood is too spineless to just make a JLA film from scratch. They seem to fear that no one will be familiar with the characters without a dozen "introductory" movies. I think they underestimate the "brand recognition" of the JLA members other than Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. And even if many people know The Flash, Green Lantern and Aquaman but not Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl and Red Tornado, who cares? Just introduce them. I didn't know who Harry Potter or Indiana Jones or Luke Skywalker were before I saw their movies!

• dariabrooks

May 23rd 2013, 0:00

Here's the thing: Marvel spent years building up to "Avengers" by endearing non-comic book reading movie audiences to Iron Man, Thor, Captain America--even Hawkeye. DC has been pumping out the same old Batman and Superman c**p for over a decade with no mind to expanding audience consciousness beyond those two characters in live-action mode---save the mixed-reviewed "Green Lantern." Even that movie didn't help matters, since a whole generation was prepared to see the John Stewart version of GL, not the Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner hybrid version presented in the film. (How bad is it that they couldn't even decide which GL to portray)?! Personally, I don't think that DC (or, rightly, Warner Bros.) has to go through the same "Five Year Plan" introductory session that Marvel did, since even non-comics movie fans know most of the icons of the Justice League pretty well. However, they DO need to prove that they believe in these characters and need to work from a script that is as engaging, clever and downright smart as the popular "Justice League" TV series. I just don't think they can do it. (And yeah: Aquaman had better be in it)!