Rumour: Jonathan Rhys Meyers in talks for Star Wars: Episode VII?

Report claims that he's in the frame to re-team with J.J. Abrams

Up until now, the Star Wars: Episode VII rumour mill has largely concerned itself with the will-they / won’t-they saga of Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford, with wider casting whispers having proved few and far between.

However, that’s all changed this morning with Latino Review reporting that Jonathan Rhys Meyers is in talks to join the first episode of the new trilogy.

No details have been released as to who Meyers might be playing, but the star does have previous with director J.J. Abrams, having appeared in a supporting role in Mission: Impossible 3.

Given the ferocity with which Abrams guards his secrets, don’t expect confirmation of this one any time soon, although it does make a nice change from all the talk about the return of the old guard.

Directed by Abrams, Star Wars: Episode VII will begin production in the UK next year, with the film expected to arrive in cinemas in 2015.

For a whole host of stars giving their thoughts on Star Wars: Episode VII, check out our exclusive video below:

Would Meyers make a good addition to the cast? Tell us, below!

Comments

• varoh1982

May 20th 2013, 11:39

Here's a lovely little quote from Meyers. Premiere magazine, May '06 "I don't like sci-fi—I don't want to do anything with sci-fi. Star Wars? Star Trek? I'd rather eat turpentine and p**s on a brush fire." Sounds like a great guy.

• lloydharrison

May 20th 2013, 11:39

Is It me or does Rhys Meyers have a resemblance of Mark Hammill? I visioned Luke Skywalker all in black like in Return of the Jedi, but with Rhys Meyers face. Just a thought.

• AlfredsDream098

May 20th 2013, 15:18

NO! Really don't like him as an actor. He has a face I want to punch and he just infuriates me with his acting. Especially in mission impossible 3. There are not many actors I dislike, sadly he is one of those I don't like.

May 20th 2013, 16:07

Hayden Christensen > Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

• GFoley83

May 28th 2013, 0:39

Jonathan Rhys Meyers p**ses all over Hayden Christensen. One Golden Globe and two nominations?

• GFoley83