Rumour: Lex Luthor to sport a different look for Batman V Superman

Jesse Eisenberg's version of the character won't be bald?

Say the name "Lex Luthor", and one character trait instantly springs to mind: more iconic than his evil nature and pots of money is the fact that he's as bald as the day is long.

However, it sounds as though Zack Snyder is about to tinker with one of DC's most recognisable villians by taking the controversial decision to give him a full head of hair.

According to reliable fansite Batman News, Jesse Eisenberg has been spotted on set sporting longish dirty-blonde locks, with the report describing his look as, "a 20-something guy that pounds energy drinks all day".

Needless to say, this will likely rile up fans of the source material, who haven't been universally enthused by Snyder's plans for the project so far. Still, hair or no hair, we can imagine Eisenberg doing a cracking turn as Luthor, if his Mark Zuckerberg was anything to go by…

Directed by Snyder and co-starring Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Jeremy Irons, Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice will open in the UK on 29 April 2016.

What do you think of Snyder's plan? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Andy85

Jun 19th 2014, 7:35

Shocker.... not really, fully expected him to be completely different anyway. Looking forward to this one, impressed with all the casting choices and cannot wait for the final product.

• trist808

Jun 19th 2014, 7:44

Gene Hackman's Luther wore a fake wig in the original Superman films, so maybe this is the same scenario? Even if it's not, having hair didn't harm Xavier in First Class...

• chibik

Jun 19th 2014, 10:05

Good point on First Class, trist. This isn't more surprising than the news of the casting itself, anyway.

• apo1978

Jun 19th 2014, 11:56

@Andy85, don't you mean you cannot wait for the final product placement? MOS was shocking for that - check out the Honest Trailer. ;-)

• trist808

Jun 19th 2014, 12:00

Yeah, I'm still not sold on Eisenberg in the first place, in fact I'm still not sure about this entire project, but I'm ever the optimist, I hope this turns out to be surprisingly good instead of predictably awful

• endofdays2

Jun 19th 2014, 12:46

People sound surprised. Maybe they shaved Eisenberg's head and found a massive mole there and then thought "oh crud"

• trist808

Jun 19th 2014, 12:52

Didn't think of that, good point endofdays2, Mole-Head syndrome is quite common amongst Hollywood's elite .. and Jessie Eisenberg :)

• dennisplourde

Jun 19th 2014, 13:05

Actually the clone of Lex from the 90's which was the original Lex's mind in a cloned body had long red hair, and a beard at one point, so this isn't too far off. I'm sure that by the end of the film he'll lose his hair in some accident that'll make him hate Supes all the more than he does at the beginning of the film. Oh, and don't forget that the Lois, and Clark Lex Luthor started out w/ a full head of brown hair, and I think he lost it sometime around season 3, or 4 after his death, and return through some cloning IIRC.

• jasonmotley

Jun 19th 2014, 13:31

Remember several people in Hollywood didn't think that Bryan Cranston could play Walter White because he did comedy. Most people hated the choice of Michael Keaton for Batman in the 80s, and he became the the bar. The whole point of this superman reboot is to bring it into the new millennium the way Smallville did. If you look at Lois and Clark The New Adventurers of Superman, Lex had hair. I think this version will be just fine. Just hold true to the core tenets and it will work. And before any yells at me about superman snapping Zods neck, remember in Superman 2 he threw Zod off the cliff after he took his powers and was no longer a threat. Then didnt even think twice about it.

• batt101

Jun 19th 2014, 13:52

Yeah lets really bring this up to date and connect with the kids by giving Luther longish dirty-blonde locks who is a 20-something guy that pounds energy drinks all day???

• urixeno

Jun 19th 2014, 15:13

I can't wait for this movie to come out on DVD so I can fast-foward past all of Jesse Eisenberg's scenes. He'll be the Jar Jar Binks of the Superman universe.

• davidbridges

Jun 19th 2014, 15:14

Bald or a full head of hair. It makes no difference to me. I loved the first movie but I despise Jesse 'I'm so ocd/assburgered/autist' Eisenberg.

• davidbridges

Jun 19th 2014, 15:17

Hair or no hair. It won't make a difference to me. I loved the first movie but I despise Jesse 'the autist' Eisenberg. Seeing him play easily one of the greatest villains of all time just puts me off watching the movie.

• davidbridges

Jun 19th 2014, 15:17

• teddoran

Jun 19th 2014, 15:23

Oh, man! This movie is really going to suck. I will not be watching it.

• stevekarmazenuk

Jun 19th 2014, 16:33

They're probably doing a throwback to the original origins story, which had Lex Luthor Arching Superman after Supes rescued him and inadvertently made him permanently bald in the process.

• stevekarmazenuk

Jun 19th 2014, 16:34

Besides, it's Zack Snyder. Other than "Sucker Punch" I've never not loved one of his films.

• codyspiegel

Jun 19th 2014, 20:25

Oh course, because why would they keep anything from the long history of Superman. I'm ready for 2016 to be over.

• willieholmes

Jun 19th 2014, 22:01

In the early post-"Crisis" stories, Luthor had receding red hair. He kept it until Lois said that he was starting to look like Fred Mertz! In the pre-"Crisis" stories, Superboy caused Luthor to lose his hair. Perhaps one of these scenarios will occur in the movie.

Jun 19th 2014, 23:21

:tableflip:

• laurenallen

Jun 20th 2014, 1:19

At this point it doesn't matter what hairstyle Jess Jess Binks wears in the movie, for there's simply no way we're going to ever go see it anyway. : ) It's like it's in a contest with the Fantastic Four reboot to see who can make more idiotic casting decisions..

• bethjohnson

Jun 20th 2014, 7:17

I can see Lex discovering Kryptonite, as he experiments on it there is some sort of accident and he loses his hair. Of course this gives him another reason to hate Superman. It also gives a reason for Batman to look into what Lex is doing, and to get a little piece of Kryptonite for himself.

• QuietLife

Jun 20th 2014, 13:37

People really need to stop crying so hard. It's a movie. Watch it/don't watch it. Just don't go reviewing it before it's even been made.

Jun 20th 2014, 20:16

I am not really that bothered, just felt like flipping a table. Although it does seem kinda lazy from Snyder and Eisenberg, it seems like they just want Mark Zuckerberg again.