Rumour: Warner Bros has an actor to play Batman in Justice League?

Dark Knight Rises spoilers follow

The ending of The Dark Knight Rises has left Joseph Gordon-Levitt battling constant questions about whether he’ll continue the Batman franchise as John ‘Robin’ Blake.

Christopher Nolan’s threequel established Blake as the next in line to the Bat-throne, but surely that was a neat, satisfying ending that tied up threads hinted at in Batman Begins.

JGL told us as much when we interviewed him for Looper, admitting: “I understand we people think that [I could continue the Dark Knight series], because movies are so franchised now. I never took it that way, I just think it’s a really great ending for that story.”

However, Hitfix is reporting that “according to sources, Joseph Gordon-Levitt absolutely will be appearing in Justice League as the new Batman.”

Hitfix even goes as far as to speculate about a potential cameo for Gordon-Levitt’s Batman in Man Of Steel, inspired by Zack Snyder's recent comments about an extended universe.

For now, we’re looking at this news through very sceptical eyes. First off, there’s the persistent fact that characters from Nolan’s reality-based Gotham wouldn’t sit comfortably next to heroes like Superman.

And, unless Man Of Steel is set a whole decade or more after TDKR, Blake will be a very inexperienced Batman. If he’s to fight crime side-by-side with Supes, he’ll probably look a bit out of his depth.

Take this one with a handful of salt for now, and we’ll report more news on Justice League as it breaks.

The Dark Knight Rises hits DVD and Blu-ray on 3 December 2012, so you can pore over any hints about Blake’s future in minute detail.

Shameless rumour-mongering, or possibly legit? Tell us below!

Comments

• CaptainCrazy

Nov 27th 2012, 13:21

Yippee! No Armie hammer as Batman. That said they must recast Gordon-Levitt as Bruce Wayne/Batman and step outside the Nolan continuity. Otherwise it is Batman as name only. Some people just do not understand that you cannot separate the two. Others may have adopted the cowl but it always goes back to its rightful owner.

Nov 27th 2012, 13:35

Can't wait to see who gets the short straw to play Aquaman

• CaptainCrazy

Nov 27th 2012, 13:51

@Hadouken76 - for shame Hadouken. I haven't read a comic book in ages but I believe Aquaman is coming into his own now. Still, according to Family Guy is still c**p at stopping a rape in progress.

Nov 27th 2012, 14:11

It's a positive step from WB, at least they're trying to appease all of the fans who enjoyed Nolan's Batman movies. I do hope there is a cameo from one of the big DC characters during the Man Of Steel credits.

• dangoodfellow

Nov 27th 2012, 14:15

Nolans 'realistic' Gotham? okay, the buildings are real, but people in the real world can't do gymnastics on razor blade heels, drop 20 stories onto a car and walk away, shrug off a knife to the stomach or talk coherently through a gaping face wound. Chris Nolan is an expert at making outlandish fantasy worlds and characters feel like real life, and as he's got a fair bit of involvment with Man of Steel, i'd say the Superman/batman team up will be seamless, if it happens. oh and andy serkis should play Aquaman anonimously in motion capture, so no actors face need bare the shame and ridicule.

• SiMan

Nov 27th 2012, 14:20

"satisfying ending that tied up threads hinted at in Batman Begins"...what threads be those? There was the bit in TDK where Dent mentions the bat doesn't want to 'Do this forever', but i thought the ending to TDKR was a cop-out to his character. He was supposed to be dedicating his life to......i'll stop ranting...for now (i'll wait until the DVD review of TDKR before unleashing my full rant!).....anyway, back on topic, i reckon that the Man of Steel thing won't be a cameo or end of credit's thing, i reckon it will be some other reference, either to a specific event (Gotham under Siege) or character (maybe to the Green Lantern corps - in fact i reckon that it will be Green Lantern that is the one that gets a nod).

• SteveMcc

Nov 27th 2012, 14:37

I think I'd cry if Joseph Gordon-Levitt is recast as Batman, not only would it mean that Nolan's trilogy has kind of been ousted for story line, seeing as he has a set character. And although he was good in Inception (and please dont hate me for this) I really dont like him all that much as an actor, he's too....'bland' in the face. And im not too sure I would buy him at all during fight scenes. I would buy him as a 'Batman of the Future' because of the characters build and attitude just cant imagine him as The Caped Crusader.

• Chufferstud

Nov 27th 2012, 14:40

I think we have to forget Nolan's realistic world for the Justice League film, simple as that. So whoever plays Batman cannot have any links to his films. It might be quite novel to start the film with the league already in place, so no original story to worry about, just risk it that fans will know the story anyway. I still think this would be a brilliant animated film in the style of the DC Universe trailer.

• mbarn1

Nov 27th 2012, 14:41

I hope they get Vincent Chase back to play Aquaman, aquaman 2 was terrible with Jake Gyllenhaal!!

• McSerious

Nov 27th 2012, 14:47

Haha love it mbarn1! Couldn't agree more!

• sirheppe

Nov 27th 2012, 14:53

@SiMan Don't mean to be rude but have you watched the Nolan Batman films? It's all about Bruce Wayne trying to find a way out. "make yourself more than a man" "living on as an idea" plus the Harvey Dent comment. The whole trilogy was about one man trying to change Gotham and to inspire good in people. TDKR is not a perfect film but the ending is very good. We'd all like Bruce Wayne to stay young and fight crime but that doesn't happen in the comics or cartoons either. Letting Blake take over was a natural step and one people were probably expecting once JGL was cast. Anyway sorry if I sounded rude, it's silly to fight on the internet! Also, if they cast JGL as the Batman from the Nolan films then he obviously won't be Bruce Wayne as Batman and that pretty much kills off the idea of finally seeing Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent together fighting crime. I think they'll end up casting someone else. But I'd love to see a cameo in The Man Of Steel from someone, maybe Arnie as Mr Freeze?

• alexr

Nov 27th 2012, 15:29

@sirheppe There. You had to bring it up. Mr Freeze-my-a*s. We're all coming for you now...

• scotthillier

Nov 27th 2012, 16:08

Forget any link to Nolan's batman. Put batman in the grey and blue to distinguish from the black we've come to know. Cast whoever fits best ... Guy Pearce would be a good shout I think.

• bradendeal

Nov 27th 2012, 20:46

holy c**p moviess ARE so franchised now

• hawleygriffin

Nov 27th 2012, 21:03

JGL great actor and getting the chance to flesh out his talent but think this would be a bad move for him . Not because of the Nolanverse of the Dark Knight Trilogy , but just dont see him as Bruce Wayne. However Not totally surprised at hollyweird they seem to have very few original ideas , "Ok so we've done avengers based on the market demographic we could proactivly jump on the band wagon and cream some more money outta the buddy superhero movie genre." For the love of god Hollywood Get a grip and try something different. JGL as Moonknight Id like to see . Fassbender would be an edgier choice , perhaps not a popular one but personally if an actor had to be chosen he might be it .

• DomCobb

Nov 28th 2012, 3:16

JGL would be great and I'll tell you why: - He's a great actor and I'd love to see him as Batman - John Blake's a great character and I'd love to see him as Batman - If Man of Steel and, presumably, Justice League are set in the real world, but feature extraordinary characters, I see no reason why Nolan's Batman, an extraordinary character in the real world, couldn't fit in (I know he doesn't have powers, but he's still extraordinary) - The Dark Knight Trilogy was perfect and I don't really want to see anyone else try Bruce Wayne anytime soon - WB needs to have some sort of lead up to Justice League

• SiMan

Nov 28th 2012, 13:47

@Sirhepp - no worries, you weren't being rude at all. It's always good to read through the constructive responses to other people's posts on here - and now that i think about it and look back, you probably are right. I think that Nolan always had that ending in mind, it's just that i felt in the third movie it was almost like that was the first thing he'd filmed/written and everything else that happened was to lead up to that, regardless of how it meant the characters/events dictated what should happen and there was no way he was going to change it......I guess i'm just overly miffed that he changed what the Batman character was from what i'd come to enjoy from the comics. People can say its 'fanboy' moaning, but if any other character from a 'normal' book was changed like this, there would be outcry from their fans.

• FBRSamra

Nov 28th 2012, 20:19

JGL should definitely not be in Justice League stuff. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is different to this and shouldn't be linked to it. Batman should be in the Justice League movie, but I don't think the new Batman should have his own film/franchise, at least not before the Justice League movie. People would just expect Batman Begins and compare it to Nolan and Bale. We already know who Batman is, we don't need another movie just yet. I know the said the new Batman movie wouldn't have an origins story, but still it'd be cooler if there was loads of mystery surrounding Batman and then he gets his own movie. Frankly, I don't want to hear the name Bruce Wayne in the Justice League movie if I see it.

• mrwhite

Jun 4th 2013, 13:26

just leave the nolan films alone along with the actors. to be honest you have to have a certain look to play batman and JGL just hasnt got it.