Rumoured details emerge for Ben Kingsley's Marvel One-Shot

The Mandarin returns?

Ben Kingsley recently let slip that he will be returning to the Marvel universe after completing shooting on a new project, generally reported as the next in Marvel's series of One-Shot shorts.

Now, Latino Review claims to have the drop on just what that One-Shot will cover, as Kingsley reprises his Iron Man 3 role (warning, contains Iron Man 3 spoilers).

"The REAL Mandarin is furious with Aldrich Killian and Ben Kingsley’s character Trevor Slattery for the mockery they made of the real Mandarin’s identity and legacy," claims the site. "The real Mandarin wants to set the record straight. Yes, the REAL Mandarin."

We had kind of assumed that "the Mandarin" was a creation of Killian's making, rather than a real person Slattery was ripping off. Are Marvel really about to backtrack on their big plot twist by positing that the Mandarin exists after all?

We're pretty sceptical about it at this stage, not least because the introduction of a new Mandarin would seem quite a hefty plot development for a One-Shot. We'll be holding out for a potted version of Slattery's Croydon King Lear, if you don't mind...

What do you think of the theory? Tell us, below!

Comments

Oct 29th 2013, 11:14

Apologize for IM3!!!

• trist808

Oct 29th 2013, 11:24

As much as I enjoyed IM3 and the portrayal of The Mandarin (within the context of the film), I am glad they are doing this. It will go some way to appease the hard-core fans who hated the treatment of his character and possibly set up a future appearance. We know Iron Man 4 is unlikely at this current time, but maybe Mandarin will appear in an Avengers film? Perhaps as a member of the Masters Of Evil ? and I think it's fair to say that Kingsley as the REAL Mandarin is still something many would like to see (feel free to disagree with me on that though) :)

• chibik

Oct 29th 2013, 11:24

Ag, get over it already.

Oct 29th 2013, 11:34

I'd be over it if it wasn't for critics and magazines like TF and Empire praising IM3 through the roof and claiming the Mandarin twist was genius when it wasn't. The whole movie was a mess and I hate the fact the media have j**zed all over Iron Man 3 just because it was directed by Shane Black. It also doesn't help the fact the movie undesrvedly grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office.

Oct 29th 2013, 11:36

Sorry for the rant but this movie and the media reaction to it really gets my blood pumping.

• chibik

Oct 29th 2013, 12:10

@Ali: You didn't enjoy it, I totally understand that. It's gotta suck, though, having so much trouble dealing with the fact that lots of people feel entirely different about it.

• spid2411

Oct 29th 2013, 13:07

@Ali: Totally understand your frustration - I thought it was a pretty poor film. Iron Man was good but the sequels didn't live up to it in my opinion.

• barneystinson

Oct 29th 2013, 13:54

IM3 and the portrayal of The Mandarin were excellent. People seem to forget that the Marvel Movie Universe doesn't have to follow the rules of the comic books just as The Ultimates series reinterpreted established characters into something new and interesting (Reed Richards as a major villain for instance). If you want classic Mandarin read the comics...if you want something new and (genuinely) surprising watch the movies....I loved the fact that the trailer promised a villain to rival The Joker only for it to be one big scam....people complain about trailers showing too much of the movie and for once they didn't and you complain because it wasn't the villain you were led to believe it would be...get over it, The Mandarin as a washed up actor was amazing...

• GarthMarenghi

Oct 29th 2013, 15:57

The twist is only capable of ruining the whole movie if you have no sense of humour whatsoever. In which case you'd have to ask yourself what you were doing going to see a Robert Downey Jr. movie in which he plays a smart-mouthed show-off superhero. It would be completely gutless of Marvel to 'backtrack' on that brilliant plot development to appease the butt-hurt fanboys.

Oct 29th 2013, 17:32

The Mandarin character was sabotaged to appease the Chinese market. Simple.

Oct 29th 2013, 17:57

Alarm bells started going off as soon as I heard the opening song and then when I witnessed Guy Pearce in that awful make up I said to myself "Oh dear." Tonally IM3 felt off, it doesn't fit in with the other two movies IMO. One thing I still don't get is why they were so flippant with Tony's surgery, given how that wound and the power source embedded in his chest is a big part of the character I was shocked to see them just brush it off during an ending montage. BTW I don't buy this whole "The Mandarin would be racist" if we stuck to the source material. Are you trying to tell me the only way to change that character was to turn him into a joke? They were handling the character pretty well right up until they decided to take one giant dump all over him with that twist. If they ever decide to do IM4 please bring back Jon Favreau.

Oct 29th 2013, 19:33

Here here.

• daskoyne

Oct 29th 2013, 21:30

I'm in agreement with Ali1748, the tone of IM3 was just...off. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is in my top 10 movies so the prospect of RDJ and Shane Black reuniting in the Marvel universe had me trembling in my boots. However, the end result was just so flat. There were so many huge plot holes and leaps of faith required it just didn't sit right with me. The bum licking the press gave it didn't help, I went in expecting to see THE movie of 2013 and left feeling like a ginger who's realised frizz ease only lasts a day.

Oct 29th 2013, 23:30

I'm going to see Thor: TDW in 2 days time. PLeeeease don't be rubbish.

• GarthMarenghi

Oct 30th 2013, 15:55

Dear oh dear, I didn't know so many miserable people read Total Film! I guess none the complainers realised that Guy Pearce is actually The Mandarin in Iron Man 3. He even says it in the film, doesn't he?