Ryan Gosling quitting acting (for a while)

The star is set to take a break

Having been fairly ubiquitous over the last couple of years, Ryan Gosling is set to give our fluttering hearts a bit of a breather by stepping away from acting for a while.

The star is soon to turn his hand to directing with his forthcoming fantasy drama How To Catch A Monster, and sounds as though he’ll be staying on that side of the camera for the foreseeable.

“I've lost perspective on what I'm doing," says the star. "I think it's good for me to take a break and reassess why I'm doing it and how I'm doing it. And I think this is probably a good way to learn about that. I need a break from myself as much as I imagine the audience does.

“There's a lot of pressure to be the lead of a film," he  continues. "I have done it. It's not my favourite way to work. The more opportunities I'm given, the more I learn about how easy it is to fuck it up. You fight for freedom and then you get it, and then you have enough rope to hang yourself. It's like trying to exercise some restraint, because I do have so much freedom.”

Looks like we’ll have to make the most of Gosling when The Place Beyond The Pines hits our screens on 12 April 2013. And Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives is still awaiting a release date.

What do you make of Gosling's decision? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Kellend11

Mar 22nd 2013, 11:11

Although I understand where he is coming from, I will so miss seeing his face in a new film :(

• noframeof

Mar 22nd 2013, 11:42

Interesting development. I hope this also free's him up enough to be able to record more material with his band, Dead Man's Bones.

• moviemind91

Mar 22nd 2013, 12:15

I can definitely see where he is coming from and wish him all the best in his future directing career. Though he's only quitting for a while he still has a tremendous filmography to look back on.

• sarahcooper14

Mar 22nd 2013, 13:55

I will miss him, but I think he's making a very responsible and mature decision. I hope that maybe this will garner him the respect he deserves as a serious actor instead of a heartthrob. I'm proud of him and I wish him all the best in whatever field of filmmaking he decides to pursue. I know he won't disappoint.

Mar 22nd 2013, 17:36

Cue all the other male leads in Hollywood throwing a celebration.

• cegosnel

Jul 27th 2013, 0:52

I knew Ryan Gosling was the real deal. I kin him to a younger Edward Norton. And I totally respect his decision. He is not his job. And his job is not who he is. So, when he returns to the big screen we know he will continue to keep it interesting, real, and entertaining.