Ryan Reynolds drops out of Highlander reboot

Follows Juan Carlos Fresnadillo through the exit

Summit’s Highlander reboot has suffered another major blow with the announcement that leading man Ryan Reynolds has dropped out of the project.

The Wrap reports that Reynolds will no longer be starring as Connor MacLeod, the immortal Scottish swordsman played by Christopher Lambert in the original film, leaving the production very much back at square one.

Reynolds’ departure follows the earlier exit of Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, with the director citing creative differences with the studio after having worked on the project for over a year.

Producers Neal H. Moritz and Peter Davis will now have to decide whether to try and find a director and leading man to fit into their existing plans, or to start over with a whole new creative vision.

The project has been lingering in limbo for years now, with Justin Lin attached direct as far back as 2009. Just how critical this latest setback will prove remains to be seen…

Are you interested in seeing a Highlander reboot? Tell us, below!

Comments

• BobTheSkull

Jun 18th 2013, 9:02

Good. This is one that should be left alone. It doesn't need a reboot, as I doubt anything new could be brought to the table.

• DudeLove0492

Jun 18th 2013, 9:55

I dont think there is really a NEED for a remake/ reboot. If it did I would wait until the trailer to see if I would see it as I like the first Highlander (not that bothered about the sequels) The choice of Connor for me would be James Purefoy. I would have Christopher Lambert in it in some form and Queen music, maybe on the radio and/or when the characters go into places

Jun 18th 2013, 11:04

I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot / remake the original had good ideas but duff casting. The only actual scot in that film was playing a Spaniard ..d'oh! Remake it James McAvoy as Mcleod, Gerrard Butler as The Kurgen and Javier Bardem as Ramirez, there I've fixed Hollywood.

• TheDigitalZombi

Jun 18th 2013, 11:43

This is the best news I've heard all day.

• TheDigitalZombi

Jun 18th 2013, 11:43

Oh and if they really must do it then Ang Lee should direct it.

• nacho316

Jun 18th 2013, 13:08

Retard Reynolds should be dropped out of a plane without a parachute solves everyone's problems!

• crystakura

Jun 18th 2013, 13:15

just screamed thank f*** at the top of my lungs in work.

• SiMan

Jun 18th 2013, 13:33

McAvoy is a good shout, but isn't the issue with this franchise (and those inferior sequels that got made) that the whole point of it that 'there can be only 1' - at the end of the first film, if he's killed the last remaining immortal, where can the sequels go?

• trist808

Jun 18th 2013, 13:49

"There Can Be Only One" ... somebody needs to tell this to the Hollywood execs, no more sequels, no reboots, just leave it. @SiMan, I take it you've not seen Highlander II: The Quickening? One of the worst films ever made and a terrible, terrible sequel ... the immortals were revealed to be aliens and their whole mythology changed :(

• ilikescifi

Jun 18th 2013, 14:16

I can see this production moving down the food chain

Jun 18th 2013, 15:37

It's so simple hire a f*****g Scottish Actor !!!!! It's not like there isn't any around.

• dojj singh

Jun 18th 2013, 17:09

you are forgetting the most important thing, who would be doing the soundtrack? queen was untouchable