Ryan Reynolds is Green Lantern

Beats out Cooper & Timberlake for the role

Variety are reporting that Ryan Reynolds has been cast as DC Comics hero Green Lantern, in a live action pic to be directed by Casino Royale helmer Martin Campbell.

For those of you out of the loop, Green Lantern (aka test pilot Hal Jordan) is a superhero who draws his abilites from a special power ring, which allows him to do various cool things, including fly, create forcefields, and so on. Oh, and he's also allergic to the colour yellow. We kid you not.

Reynolds, of course, has previous form in comic book fare, playing Deadpool in this summer's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and vampire hunter Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity, both of which are based on Marvel comics.

News sources, and Reynolds himself, have recently been reporting that he will star in a Deadpool spinoff, possibly slated for a 2011 release, but with news of his Green Lantern gig, also a possible 2011 release, we're wondering how both projects can now go ahead.

Green Lantern has been long in development at Warner Brothers and as excited as we are about the teaming of Reynolds and Campbell, we are perhaps more worried about the possible loss of the Deadpool movie. More as the story unfolds.

Interested? Who would you rather see Reynolds play; Deadpool, or Green Lantern? Leave us a comment.

Comments

• scabo33

Jul 11th 2009, 10:34

Exxcelant! Is green lantern apart of the avengers?

• davex229

Jul 11th 2009, 14:18

Nah, G.L. is one of the founding members of the Justice League of America from DC Comics. The Avengers are part of the Marvel universe. Hmmm, love Hal Jordon but dunno if Reynolds is right for it. Deadpool yes, but can't see him delivering the Green Lantern oath with a straight face.

• BennettsVest

Jul 12th 2009, 18:44

Keep Ryan Reynolds DC, he was hardly in that big pile of s**t Wolverine anyway. I can't help but think I could be making this point better...

• thegoodnerd

Jul 12th 2009, 19:10

I wanna see him play deadpool! I think common will be the perfect person to play greenlantern!

• whateverman

Jul 12th 2009, 23:27

I think Reynolds nailed the part of deadpool. He was one of the good things in that film.

• Drew31

Jul 14th 2009, 11:38

I never really liked Reynolds, his brand of smug-a*s comedy annoyed me most of the time. But i did think he was good in Wolverine. I always thought he would be the perfect person to play The Flash....the guy who is supposed to be the smart a**e out of the Justice League group!

• MeanMachine

Oct 24th 2011, 1:54

Green Lantern was absolutely awesome! Ryan Reynolds not only delivered but made this movie great. I loved it and hope to see the sequel very soon. 10/10 from me. Best Super Hero movie of 2011 in my opinion.