Sam Mendes will not direct Bond 24

Skyfall director rules himself out of 007’s next outing

Skyfall director Sam Mendes has confirmed that he will not direct Bond 24, according to the official James Bond 007 Facebook page.

Since the record-breaking success of James Bond’s 23rd movie outing, speculation has been rife that Mendes would jump back into the director’s chair for the next installment (or Bond 24, as it’ll be known until it gets an official title).

It seems that Mendes’ theatre commitments are key factors in his decision not to return to the franchise, despite the fact that producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbra Broccoli evidently wanted him to return.

In a statement, Mendes said, “It has been a very difficult decision not to accept Michael and Barbara’s very generous offer to direct the next Bond movie.

“Directing Skyfall was one of the best experiences of my professional life, but I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and King Lear, that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond."

In a joint statement, Wilson and Broccoli added, “We thoroughly enjoyed working with Sam. He directed our most successful Bond movie ever, Skyfall. We would have loved to have made the next film with him but completely respect his decision to focus on other projects and hope to have the opportunity to collaborate with him again.”

In October 2012, Mendes spoke to Total Film of his reticence to direct another Bond film after Skyfall, explaining, “I think there’s a strong possibility that I put everything I ever wanted to put in a Bond movie into this movie.”

Are you disappointed that Raimi won’t helm the next Bond flick? Have your say below…

Comments

• benpoole

Mar 6th 2013, 17:34

Oh, TF. You didn't credit the original source of this story. EMPIRE got this scoop on this by speaking directly with those involved, and other news sources (who have done a similar cut and paste job) have at least had the decency to mention them. I work as a journalist, albeit in a less exciting field, but this sort of stuff depresses me. You actually seem to have a scoop of your own that I thought you would have made a bigger deal about. In the question at the end you make it clear that Sam Raimi won't helm the next Bond film! I, for one, am gutted about that.

• JoseyWales

Mar 6th 2013, 18:19

Am I the only person on the planet who didn't like Skyfall? Didn't entertain me one bit and had huge holes in it plot wise.

• AlfredsDream098

Mar 6th 2013, 20:08

@benpoole Sam Raimi?

• zachariahgray

Mar 6th 2013, 21:14

It's a shame that Sam Mendes is not directing Bond 24, I hope he returns for Bond 25,

• MadMatt

Mar 6th 2013, 22:44

Commenter's typo or not, I'd actually love Sam Raimi to direct the next Bond! It would be guaranteed to have the best action of the franchise to date, anyway...

Mar 6th 2013, 23:42

Christopher Nolan Christopher Nolan Christopher Nolan !!! I would suggest Duncan Jones but he's going to be busy with World Of Warcraft, Mathew Vaughn is also busy with producing X-Men/FF and he's directing the Mark Millar Graphic Novel. So who does that leave other than Nolan ? Danny Boyle doesn't seem keen on Blockbusters after doing The Beach. What about Kenneth Branagh ? If the producers decided to break the mold and hire an American I'd love to see Kathryn Bigelow get the gig.

• GarthMarenghi

Mar 7th 2013, 4:28

I doubt Nolan's sizeable ego would allow him to follow the continuity set up by another filmmaker. I'm sure he'll do a Bond film one day, complete with a dirgy Hans Zimmer score, but only when he gets to start from scratch with a new actor in the lead role.

• benpoole

Mar 7th 2013, 17:07

@AlfredsDream098 Yeah, I was referring to the question posed in bold at the end of the piece. Surely Sam mistake...

Mar 8th 2013, 1:36

Garth can you show me some evidence of Nolan's ego ?