Sam Raimi is set to direct the Poltergeist remake

Writer confirms director's return to horror

Sam Raimi has produced a considerable number of horror films and remakes in recent years, and it looks as thought the Evil Dead and Drag Me To Hell director will be returning to the genre with the Poltergeist remake.

Raimi has been attached as a producer on the horror remake for some months now, although a recent THR article suggested that writer David Lindsay-Abaire (Rabbit Hole, Oz: The Great And Powerful) had confirmed that Raimi would be adding directing to his producing duties.

In a Rise Of The Guardians interview, Lindsay-Abaire confirmed that Raimi was directing Poltergeist. Raimi must be a fan of the Pulitzer Prize winning writer, as the article also reveals that Raimi came close to directing Rabbit Hole.

While we'll wait for official confirmation, either from Raimi or MGM, this is certainly pleasing news.

Admittedly, it’s extremely rare that we’ll get excited about a horror remake, but the involvement of Raimi as director completely changes the game.

It’s hard to image that an auteur with Raimi’s horror heritage would sign on for a bog-standard, join-the-dots retelling of the original film. Surely he’d only get involved if he could make it his own.

And presumably Lindsay-Abaire must have come up with an intriguing take on the script. Our optimism levels are rising rapidly on this one.

Raimi and Lindsay-Abaire next collaboration, Oz: The Great And Powerful, opens in the UK on 8 March 2013.

Does Raimi’s involvement improve the outlook of this sequel? Drop us a line below…

Comments

• BobTheSkull

Oct 18th 2012, 11:36

Uh..... Why the excitement? Poltergeist is a classic, and still holds up against todays 'gore/cheap scare' market as being quality. So, for me, I think I'll skip the remake. Especially since Raimi is involved. Don't get me wrong, I love his early work. I've been a fan of his for years. But seriously, cos he did Evil Dead, he can do this? Nah... He's too fond of dodgy gags and crappy humour. It works for other films (I am a fan, remember) but for Poltergeist, he's have to ditch his usual style and do something different. I thought Drag Me to Hell was utter rubbish with only a handful of good bits, and was a huge disappointment to what we were promised. (If I remember right, it was supposed to be a 'serious' horror according to him)

• alexr

Oct 18th 2012, 12:17

There is a place for remakes and reboots. This ISN'T it. Leave it alone. Let Heather O'Rourke's legacy be an untouched, untainted masterpiece (even with its two inferior and unneccessary sequels).

• BobbyTwoTimes

Oct 18th 2012, 13:32

Completely agree! Why a remake? If the 'remake' back catalogue so far is anything to go by, it'll just mean it being a more modern version of the same story with better effects, which everyone will ultimately decide isn't as good as the original anyway - so why bother??! Why not just make ANOTHER film about a Poltergeist type ghosty with updated effects, actors etc.. and just call it something different!? Let it stand alongside 'Poltergeist' instead of in it's pocket. And I totally agree with BobTheSkull's view's of Raimi too. Instantly everyone will think 'Wow...Sam Raimi" but then when you think about it, he hasn't actually directed anything good since Spiderman 2 almost a decade ago - and that wasn't even a horror! If we're talking Horror, you could argue Army Of Darkness was his last true decent film and that was TWO decades ago. Sorry but I just don't see Raimi being the golden touch that will stop this movie being forgotten about the minute it leaves the cinema.

• FBALeal

Oct 18th 2012, 15:34

People. PEOPLE. Get over yourselves. As much as we hate it, remakes will always happen. Might as well live with it. Yes Poltergeist will be another sodding remake but the fact is that Sam Raimi will make something good of it. No one can deny that. So quit whinning and deal with the fact remakes are there to stay. Besides, no one is forcing your hand to go see it so relax.

• BobTheSkull

Oct 18th 2012, 17:24

FBALeal, go back and read my post. I have nothing to 'get over'. At no point did my post reach the level of some zealots by saying 'OMG! Remaking that film is raping my childhood memories and ruining the original!' I simply posted that I won't be watching it, and my reasons for it. I have no illusions that remakes/reboots are here to stay. Mostly because franchise names sell tickets, even if the remake sucks. Some remakes work. Most don't. They don't effect my enjoyment of the originals. If anything, they make me appreciate them more. I get the impression you have a similar outlook on it. See what its like before passing judgement? Surely, though, there must have been at least one film that was remade that you thought 'oh man, why bother?' or 'is that director/cast really going to do the franchise justice?'. Personally, I don't think Raimi will make anything good out of this. He may make a decent film that just happens to be named Poltergeist, but I really don't think it'll be any good. That's just my opinion. But, the jury is out til I see some footage, and I hope I'm proven wrong.

Oct 18th 2012, 18:10

I don't see why that's pleasing news at all.

• jaykays hat

Oct 18th 2012, 18:41

Is nothing sacred!!!

Oct 19th 2012, 1:24

I must have watched a different film, because I thought it was sh.te.

• GarthMarenghi

Oct 20th 2012, 23:07

Yes, Hadouken76, you obviously watched a different film. The original (which was really directed by Steven Spielberg) is still a terrifically entertaining film. Great Jerry Goldsmith score as well. I love Raimi, but this current downturn in his career is seriously depressing. He doesn't seem all that enthusiastic about movies at the moment - I'm sure he said in Total Film recently that he only thinks remakes are popular right now because they're a safe bet for the studios, or words to that effect. If that's his prime motivation for the movie, it's not very promising is it? I really don't want him to waste his prime creative years on reboots and remakes of films that are perfectly fine as they are. We can't stop them happening, but it would be great if they were left to the likes of Len Wiseman and Brett Ratner while the REAL directors made new movies with new concepts instead.

• MoodyMonkey

Oct 21st 2012, 21:29

So we don't get an Evil Dead 4 but another remake (i don't care how good it is - the best it will be is 'surprisingly good' like the DOD remake, is that really worth the time??), and now the creator of Evil Dead pays his bills remaking someone else s movies?? Yeah, i might not let the door hit me on the a*s on the way out...