Sam Raimi isn't in control of Spider-Man 4?

Director doesn’t know the plot…

Sam Raimi doesn’t know what Spider-Man 4 is about, if his recent statements are to be believed.

Raimi was asked by SciFiWire whether the tone of Spider-Man 4 would reflect recent superhero smashes like The Dark Knight and Watchmen, and go all edgy.

“Whatever it is, I think will be a direct result of the best style to bring about our writer's screenplay,” he said.

“And as soon as I read that, I will know what that is. Edgy could be a direction, but I don't think it will be applied without really understanding the character's journey from the inside out first and then figuring out the best way to bring that about.”

“I hope we don't react to these very good and sometimes bad superhero movies around us,” he continued.

Whatever it is? I think? I hope? That doesn’t sound like a man who’s completely in control of steering the Spider-Man ship to us. We'd assume that a director who has taken a franchise through three films would be at least making some suggestions to the screenwriter.

We hope that Raimi hasn’t been neutered by Sony following the decisions he made on Spider-Man 3.

This is still the man behind Evil Dead 2 and Spider-Man 2, after all.

[Source: SciFiWire]

Would you be pleased if Raimi didn't contribute to the Spider-Man 4 screenplay? Tell us below!

Comments

• ashley.russell

Apr 22nd 2009, 10:36

I'd be happy if Raimi built a time machine, went back to 2002 and shot himself before he started directing this dogs**t franchise

• Padman

Apr 22nd 2009, 12:22

Really, Ashley Russell? Spider-man 2 was more a less as good a Spider-man film as one could ever hope for in my opinion. First one was a decent stab as well. Only real critique is that if you watch them in quick succession, you realise that (aside from Spidey's origin) they basically wrote the same film twice: scientist has his heart set on an experiment; it goes wrong/isn't working but he pushes through, determined to get results and accidentally turns himself into a monster; they are foiled by Spidey on a number of occasions and work out that Mary Jane is the way to reach him; Mary Jane is taken hostage and Spidey battles to save her, in the end the villain kills himself. Spider-man 3 however was a bit w**k, and though it pains me to say this, probably due to Sam Raimi's taste; Sandman is a s**te villain! The black suit - venom ark is always a great little mini story (worked in the 90s cartoon etc), if they'd had venom appear for more than about 20 minutes then it coulda been something nice, even with the silly dancing scenes. As for the script, don't get me started on re-writing who killed Uncle Ben, or the fact they don't seem to understand (as the new Batman franchise has gotten very right); the villain doesn't have to die at the end of every film! In the comics these battles wage for years! And if they did want to put the traditional Norman Osbourne death in there, at least have Harry come back mysteriously as the Green Goblin, not some s****y 'New Goblin' who reveals his identity immediately and is generally rubbish and has very little impact.

• niannah

Apr 22nd 2009, 13:49

Good grief, I hope he has been neutered, seriously. Spider-man 3 was so hideously bad and completely the opposite of edgy. Would Sam Raimi know what "edgy" means? His idea of a dark Spider-man was one who danced down the street in - gasp! - expensive clothes, and pushed a few people out of the way now and then. Urgh.

• yosarian25

Apr 22nd 2009, 22:20

i concur

• MadMatt

Apr 23rd 2009, 3:09

So much cynicism! He's just being cautious about what he can reveal; a rewrite is currently underway and he obviously doesn't want to comment until it's finished. I like the fact that he's said they shouldn't react to other superhero movies too much; turning Spidey into Batman or mimicking current trends is not a good idea. The Raimi-hate is a bit depressing. He made some missteps, sure, but he said in Empire recently that (regardless of the screenplay credit) he actually had less control on Spider-Man 3 than he had on the first two. So the studio and Avi Arad are as much to blame as him. He made it clear in that interview that he realises he has to be the one clear voice on the next Spider-Man picture, so it seems like he's putting his foot down this time. Plus, he's just completed what sounds like a cracking return to form with Drag Me To Hell, so there's every reason to be optimistic. In any case, the last movie has its moments - the Bruce Campbell sequence in Spidey 3 was worth the price of admission alone!

• Padman

Apr 23rd 2009, 19:36

Good call on the Bruce Campbell scene; he was the best thing in the film by a mile :) And I wasn't "Raimi hating" so much as "silly writing decision" and "Sandman" hating, as I said; first 2 were good! And I can't wait to see Drag Me to Hell! Groovy!

• MadMatt

Apr 23rd 2009, 22:28

I didn't mean to direct anything at you specifically, Padman. That was just me being frustrated with the kind of insults that crop up in general all over the internet since Spidey 3. The article TF link to is his most open admission that he knows he got it wrong with the last one and that he's upset the fans, so it's not like he's continuing in a blinkered fashion, ignoring their criticism and thinking he's flawless. So I wish some of them would give him a break...