Sam Worthington says Avatar sequels will begin filming in October 2014

Confirms three films will shoot back to back

Sam Worthington is all signed up to return to Pandora for the various sequels to Avatar, with the star confirming that filming is set to begin in October 2014.

James Cameron is thought to be hard at work on pre-production on the sequels, with the second, third and fourth instalments set to film back to back.

"We are going to start [shooting] this time next year and we will do two, three and four," said Worthington in an interview with an Australian radio station. "I'll be grateful if it finishes!"

We'll take that last aside as a wry comment on what promises to be a gruelling shoot, rather than Worthington's diminishing interest in the franchise as a whole! Although three sequels does seem like a lot…

Worthington went on to suggest that the three films will be filmed within a year-long shoot, which would set the studio up to release a sequel each December for 2016, 2017 and 2018. Get comfortable on Pandora everyone… we won't be leaving for a while yet!

Are you excited about the sequels? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Oct 21st 2013, 11:05

I do hope this doesn't disappoint.

• LSJShez

Oct 21st 2013, 15:14

Great, a cure for my insomnia.

Oct 21st 2013, 15:35

Cue the popular trend of bashing Avatar. I am excited for 2 and 3 but 4 is just pushing it.

• LSJShez

Oct 21st 2013, 16:17

Machete don't trend. You have to admit, after the awesome visuals have settled, the first one is lame.

Oct 21st 2013, 17:33

No, I enjoyed Avatar on Blu Ray.

• Seedorf

Oct 21st 2013, 17:51

@Ali1748. How could I pass up this opportunity to bash a film that is nothing more than a glorified moving wallpaper. :p So Avatar 2, 3 and 4? Really? A sequel I can understand, but three of them? The bad humans were sent packing, so what direction are these sequels going to take? Maybe more humans arrive, and they can do the same all over again? On the face if it, it appears to me that these sequels will be what Hollywood excels at these days, cash grabbing. Cameron is capable of making great films. I've seen The Terminator, T2, The Abyss and Aliens countless times, and they are still great films. I've seen Avatar three times now, and the last time it bored to me to tears. I'm disappointed Cameron has decided that he 'is in the Avatar business' now. Yes, and we know why. Two billion dollars I believe the first film made. So what do we have to look forward to? Endless sequels for Pirates and Avatar, and remakes and reboots a plenty. /rant over.

• piffle

Oct 21st 2013, 20:03

So filming, what, 5 years after the original came out? Meaning a release at least 6 years later? The first was a decent blockbuster film with phenomenal effects and I can't imagine a huge demand after that amount of time. Worthington has gone back into the semi-obscurity his terrible acting deserves. If sequels are inevitable they really need to remember he was Cameron's Michael Beihn surrogate in Avatar and give him the Terminator 2 treatment.

• LSJShez

Oct 21st 2013, 20:20

I don't think I'll be pumped about a new James Cameron film until he does Battle Angel. I know many people who think great FX are the be all and end all, but I expect more from Cameron. Give me The Terminator and Aliens any old day of the week.