Screenwriters working on new Terminator movie

Laeta Kalodgris and Patrick Lussier writing a script

The next long-rumoured instalment in the Terminator franchise has moved a step closer to fruition with the news that a new script is currently in the works.

Laeta Kalodgris and Patrick Lussier have been hired by Skydance Pictures to pen a new script, details of which remain clamped firmly under wraps.

Skydance's David Ellison recently joined the project to co-produce alongside his sister Megan, and it seems now as though serious steps are being taken towards making this one happen.

Whether or not Arnie will be involved in any capacity remains to be seen, but Megan Ellison has confirmed that the picture will be R-rated, which should go some way to appeasing sceptical fans.

Hopefully the appointment of new writers should precipitate the release of some more details surrounding the project. And hopefully, the big man will be involved once more...

What do you think about the plans for another film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• pdanyluk

Jan 18th 2013, 8:37

Terminator 2 remains my best film of all time. I was blown away by it as a 12 year and still blown away by it 20 years later. That being said, I did not mind Terminator Salvation and the direction that it took in Terminator lore. I thought and still think Christian Bale was perfect casting as an adult John Connor. In my opinion, it peed all over that 'other' robot franchise (for which I have no love what-so-ever!!!). As much as I would love to have really seen a James Cameron Terminator 3, I would have been more than content for a McG directed sequel to Salvation. I just hope this new film continues what McG started and steers away from casting Arnie. It probably won't though and will more than likely rely on Arnie's name alone to sell a new story that will follow a different time line thus ignoring Salvation. Oh well, best find some love for Transformers 4!!!

• Goodland

Jan 18th 2013, 10:40

An issue with the franchise is that by the 3rd film, the formula had become really tired: 2 characters sent back in time, one good and one bad, hunting down the target and then it becomes a chase film. It was a bit of a rehash with the second film even, but it was done so well that you overlooked the formula and enjoyed the film. The tone of the third was handled terribly, writing out Sarah Connor was done so callously, that they really couldn't carry on in the same way. Jumping forward to the future was the only way the series could continue. I remember how exciting the idea was in the build up to Salvation and I still maintain that it was a pretty good film. The links were handled well without being to stretched - but, more importantly, there was a change in approach to the storytelling. It ceased to be a chase film (I think TF mentioned it) and became more of an adventure film. Fanboys cried out that it didn't match up to exactly what they wanted but films always fall down when they try that. With a fifth film they really need to follow on from Salvation - sure fix the things they didn't like about it but don't ignore it or the things it got right. Talk of switching back to characters leaping into the past or bringing Sarah Connor back into it doesn't make any sense and will just mean that they will make the series collapse. Really, they need to start bridging the future of Salvation and the future glimpsed in T2 and lead up to Reese being sent back. Other than that, they need to, like they did with Salvation, bring in their own story. It's a shame they killed off Worthington, but they should stick with Christian Bale (it would be ridiculous to get rid of him - set it up as: you're missing Batman? Well, why don't you watch this instead?). Give Jonah Nolan more of a free reign and take us further into the future.

• jaykays hat

Jan 18th 2013, 11:10

I really enjoyed Salvation and have watched it a few times since seeing it on the big screen when it first came out. I can't understand the amount of criticism it got. It was certainly a lot better than Rise of the machines.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jan 18th 2013, 12:56

They need to go back in time to before Sarah Connor was born and kill her parents, no even further go back and kill her grand parents. No wait, go back 1000000 years and kill the monkeys that she is descended from, they wont put up much of a fight!

• noitsamit

Jan 18th 2013, 13:09

I'm going to put it quite simple... LEAVE THE TERMINATOR ALONE. T1 IS MY ULTIMATE FAVOURITE BUT T2 WAS AMAZING. IF IT AINT BROKE DOWN FIX IT!

• Monkeynuts30

Jan 18th 2013, 14:08

Only way this works with Arnie is if he plays a geriatric engineer whose younger self was the original template for the T800's meatsuit.

Jan 18th 2013, 16:49

Oh great I tingle with excitement.