Second teaser poster for The Amazing Spider-Man

See Spidey's new suit up close

The Amazing Spider-Man gets a new teaser poster showing off more of Spidey's costume.

The first poster for the film - see above - was a major tease in every sense, given that it only showed off the official logo and not much else.

However, a trailer got its first airing at Comic Con this week and now this second poster adds to the slow build that will only end in summer 2012.

There's still no sign of any character action bleeding into the frame, though - with Rhys Ifans bad guy The Lizard still nowhere to be seen.

Is it time the Spidey reboot posters added some bad guys? Well, is it? Tell us below.

Comments

• tank1701

Jul 25th 2011, 14:54

I was hoping for something which moved on..rather than started again, I know its a reboot but after seeing the preview the whole movie seems to be a "background to the character" plot... which lets face it we all know already - so fingers crossed this movie actually offers something new and not everything we have seen before but just with a new costume and face underneath it

• TamDiman

Jul 25th 2011, 15:22

I thought that first poster was a fake??

• trist808

Jul 25th 2011, 17:11

Nice!

• StevePotter

Jul 25th 2011, 18:31

I thought this was coming out in December of 2012? Maybe it's different in the U.S. I'll just see "The Dark Knight Rises" again if it IS a summer release.

• trist808

Jul 25th 2011, 21:35

Hey, StevePotter, you might be thinking of the new Superman film? The Man Of Steel is released December 2012, both Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises are July, in fact Spidey's out first at the start of the month (world -wide release at the mo) and TDKR is around July 20th ... so only a couple of weeks separate them :)

• StevePotter

Jul 25th 2011, 21:49

Thanks, trist, that was a stupid mistake on my part. Maybe I'll just stay home that weekend than. This is definitely a Netflix movie for me.

• StevePotter

Jul 25th 2011, 21:50

• trist808

Jul 25th 2011, 22:13

Hey dude, not a stupid mistake at all, release dates switch and change and move all the time, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you read somewhere "Dec 2012" for Spidey at some point. Case in point, on the website for Empire (the magazine not the cinema chain) they still have the release date for Captain Amercia - The First Avenger listed as December 2011 ... and it's out on Friday!!!! Ghostbusters III is listed as being released Decmeber 2012, yet Bill Murray still hasn't even read the script let alone sign onboard (and the film won't happen without him) ... It's mental ... so I apologise if I made you feel a bit silly, wasn't my intent, just giving you a bit of info. So you really not gonna venture out to see the new film? Is it because you're a big Raimi fan or just not sold on the reboot idea? I know this is causing a stir at the moment ... to me, although I feel ten years is not a big enough gap to reboot something that worked fine the first time around (although, yes, Spider-Man 3 is the exception) I look at this in comic book terms, it's just the same as when a new artist/writer/creative team take over a book from a long established team and change it, even do the origin again yet it doesn't feel different enough. I'm a fan so I can't help but get excited by it, I am looking forward to it and I hope it delivers ... I'll let you know if it's any good next July (lol) :-)

• StevePotter

Jul 26th 2011, 6:03

I have a few problems, really. For one, the effects in the trailer look... pretty bad. Also, there really aren't many ways you can tell the origin story of Spider-Man. Batman, yes. Superman, yes. Spider-Man... There are bound to be too many similarities. And I just don't really like the idea of Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man. He's too good-looking to be nerdy Peter Parker (he does not look any nerdier with glasses), and he seems to have gained little muscle for when he becomes Spider-Man. I would have casted someone like Jay Baruchel, but that's just me.

• trist808

Jul 26th 2011, 9:50

Jay Baruchel? That is a good suggestion, he would make an excellent Parker, he'd nail the nervous chatter Spidey has when he fights. That was something lacking in Raimi's films, Spidey never cracked wise with his opponents, but pick up a Spider-man comic book and that's all he does during fights. It's part of what makes him so endearing, he's just as scared as anyone in a fight despite his powers. Makes him much more accessible to the average reader. I agree that there's really not much else you can do with Spider-Man's origin, it's pretty much set in stone ... but to be fair so to is Batman & Superman. Their origins are fixed too wouldn't you say? Parents murdered, picks symbol to create fear, becomes vigilante, planet blows up, sent to a place where the yellow sun gives him extraordinary powers, wears pants over leggings and a cape, becomes overgrown boy-scout ... lumps of green rock his downfall ... we have that origin to look forward to AGAIN next year :) As for the effects, there's still 11 months to go, so lots of work can still go into making the visuals a little more "spectacular" ... at least I hope so. I love the re-design of the costume and the poster really stands out.

• StevePotter

Jul 26th 2011, 17:43

I probably should have specified: Batman Begins proved that you could focus a lot on Batman's training, as well as how he decided to becomes Batman. Because he has no powers, you can focus differently on the decisions he made, his relationships with the supporting cast, etc. Maybe it's more because the original Batman wasn't really an origin story and Begins is that shows it can be done differently. And I always figured that there could be a lot of drama in how Superman learns of his true identity, that could be handled differently. Spider-Man needs the same emotional arc to become a hero, especially if you want to please the fans: Gets powers, tries to use them for his own purposes, acts like a jerk, this results in his uncle being shot.

• trist808

Jul 26th 2011, 18:25

That is a valid point regarding Batman Begins, in the first Tim Burton film Batman was already established and starting to take on Gotham's criminals ... his origin was told in flashback. Perhaps this will be more Spider-Man Begins? I'm intrigued already by the fact we see more of his parents, so already there's a tweak to the 2002 version. As you say Spider-Man has those key points: powers, own purposes, jerk, uncle shot etc, I'm looking forward to seeig how they do the origin again, it might surprise ... or a year from now I will be lamenting the whole thing (lol)

• StevePotter

Jul 27th 2011, 19:06

If they make it so Spider-Man gets ninja training, I will take back everything I've ever said against this movie. Another complaint I have is that apparently their secondary villain (Nels Van Adder) is called "Proto-Goblin" in the comics. I don't mind Zod being reused in the Superman films, mainly because there is a time gap, but they can't reuse the Goblin mainly because it was the whole point of the original series!

• trist808

Jul 28th 2011, 11:21

Another Goblin? Really? I hadn't heard about that ... that's a little disheartening, part of the reason I'm looking forward to this is the completely different villain in the form of The Lizard, not sure using the Goblin (in any variation) is a good idea in the first reboot, a sequel would be fine to reintroduce that concept, but doing it ALL again does seem a little pointless ... only upside is if they do away with the Power Ranger style helmet.