Shailene Woodley’s Mary Jane may not be in Amazing Spider-Man 3

Actress has other commitments

It looks like Shailene Woodley’s hopes of ever playing Mary Jane may be dashed, as the actress says her commitments to the Divergent sequels may prevent her from appearing in any forthcoming Spider-Man movies.

The Amazing Spider-Man director Marc Webb cast Woodley as Mary Jane, who was set to appear in the forthcoming The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but the role was dropped when Sony decided to extend the future of the Spidey movies.

Webb in turn decided that MJ should be introduced at a later stage. Woodley then moved on to sci-fi book adaptation Divergent.

Now, speaking to MTV about the probability of playing MJ in The Amazing Spider-Man 3, Woodley said: “I don’t know anything, but seeing as how they picked up the next two Divergent films, I don’t know how I would keep my sanity with two big action films in one year. But anything can happen.”

With such a busy work schedule and Sony planning a whole roster of Spider-Man films over the coming years, it seems possible that Webb may end up having to recast the Mary Jane role.

Would you want to see somebody else play Mary Jane? Tell us below...

Comments

• marvelboy

Jan 21st 2014, 12:51

I'd be happy if they kept MJ out until the forth, Gwen is by far Parkers true love by which time events will have unfolded as to why Gwen and Parker can't be together

• apo1978

Jan 21st 2014, 13:46

I doubt the series will extend to a 4th.

Jan 21st 2014, 15:46

Just recast the role with a redhead already. Get Racheal Evan Wood.

• marvelboy

Jan 21st 2014, 16:58

@Apo1978 - After Amazing Spider-man Sony signed on for Three Sequels, mainly because they want to keep the rights rather than having faith in the franchise

• stewgriffin

Jan 21st 2014, 20:12

Gosh. That's too bad that they haven't had a chance to ruin Mary Jane the way they did Peter, Spider-Man's costume, Aunt May, Harry Osborn or Curt Connors. Sony knows where it can cram it's reboot. Tobey. Not Garfield.

Jan 21st 2014, 21:29

Are you being serious? Need I remind you of emo Spidey. Garfield is great as Parker/Spider-Man.

• stewgriffin

Jan 22nd 2014, 3:25

100% serious. Also, the denizens of the internets need to go learn the definition of "emo" before ever using the word again. Because captain 70's hair Andrew Garfield look way more emo than Tobey does. No. He's not "great". The reboot is garbage.

• QuietLife

Jan 22nd 2014, 9:00

Neither Tobey nor Sir Gurnsalot seem to work in my opinion. I can't really think of a better replacement though, Spidey's a tricky one to cast as needs to be cheeky/cocky but also likeable which these two are not. Perfect casting in Emma Stone and Dane DeHaan though.

• apo1978

Jan 22nd 2014, 12:45

I have nothing against either actor but, for me, Tobey wins hands down. His Peter had far more charm. Garfield's is just a forgettable, generic incarnation.....unfortunately.