Shailene Woodley to play MJ in The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Electro rumoured as the villain

The forthcoming sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man is beginning to generate some serious gossip, with The Descendants star Shailene Woodley in talks to play Mary Jane Watson, and a potential candidate for the film's villain in the frame.

Variety reports that Woodley is currently in discussions with the studio over stepping into the role played by Kirsten Dunst in the Sam Raimi series. Looks as though Gwen Stacy isn't going to have things all her own way after all…

MJ isn't the only familiar character set to make an appearance however, with Sony also looking for an actor to play Harry Osborn, Peter Parker's best mate and the son of the nefarious Norman Osborn.

Speaking of Osborn, his frequent mentions in the first film led us to believe that he might the villain second time around, although Variety reports that Electro is due to make an appearance. Could there be more than one antagonist involved? Or have Sony learned their lesson on that score?

In any case, we know that Marc Webb will fill the director's chair once more, with Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone set to reprise their roles as Peter and Gwen. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in the UK on 18 April 2014.

What do you think of the latest rumours? Tell us, below!

Comments

• AlfredsDream098

Oct 11th 2012, 6:20

She looks the part, haven't seen the descendants so can't comment on her actong skills.

Oct 11th 2012, 7:41

Despite all the hoo-haa about it being a reboot, I was actually impressed with The Amazing Spiderman. In this version Parker is a less drippy and a more fleshed out character, with a sharp wit closer to the comicbooks, so I will be looking forward to the next one.

• trist808

Oct 11th 2012, 8:38

She was excellent in Descendants and will be a far better choice than Dunst, I personally never liked her as MJ (too whiney). The reboot was good in my opinion and I'm looking forward to the follow up. If the villain is Electro, that has made me day, he's one of my fav Spidey villains ... kinda hope they leave Green Goblin until the 3rd film to be honest, make it a slow build until the introduction of him, establish Harry as Peter's best friend in the 2nd film and Norman can come in the 3rd and cause his usual havoc :)

Oct 11th 2012, 10:11

I just don't see why they can't look for a natural redhead.

• SpideyLew

Oct 11th 2012, 10:28

Hair colour doesnt matter. That's something that can be changed. Acting skills are what matters and from what i hear about Shailene Woodley, she's pretty good so I'd be happy with her casting.

• FBJRider

Oct 11th 2012, 13:31

I don't know how good of an actress she is but at least she's a hell of a lot hotter than Dunst. I imagine Norman won't be introduced at least not as a villain till probably the third film. Electro would be a good villain to have better than rehashing a villain from the original films. Although if they wanted MJ to be the love interest for the third one they'd have to kill of Gwen in the second one which would mean they'd need Green Goblin in the second one. Unless he comes into it in the third one and kills Gwen half way through and Parker gets over her quickly.

• SiMan

Oct 11th 2012, 17:18

I just hope they don't go the ultimate route and have the Goblin as a hulk-like genetic monster. Although something different to what we've seen, i never really liked it. I think Gwen's going to get killed off at the end of the second film too.

Oct 11th 2012, 17:26

Hair color matters to me, it's not like there isn't one single good redhead actress out there.

• Indianabones

Oct 11th 2012, 21:26

I heard Emma Stone signed a 3 film deal..... though could be flash backs for a third??? would love them to go down the Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin route rather than the Ultimate...... I'm very excited! just reread Spider-man Blue and well its my fave story!

• avoidz

Oct 12th 2012, 11:25

She was really great in The Descendants. Dunst was a dud as Mary Jane. I liked Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, but the movie itself wasn't very good. It suffered from a poor script and a recycled plot device. Get the script right and this could take off. I just wish they would stop "rebooting" everything. It is not necessary to start the story each time at the beginning. Several generations now are familiar with the origin of the character.

• bradendeal

Oct 23rd 2012, 23:28

i could be cool with this she could be good