Sharlto Copley will star in Neill Blomkamp's Chappie

Will take the lead in sci-fi comedy

Neill Blomkamp has been planning his next outing after this summer's sci-fi blockbuster, Elysium, with Sharlto Copley confirmed to be heading up Blomkamp's next film, Chappie.

Having taken the leading role in District 9 and a supporting turn in Elysium, this will be Copley's third collaboration with Blomkamp, and the new film sounds set to play to the actor's comedic strengths.

Details are extremely few and far between surrounding chappie, but Entertainment Weekly describes it as a sci-fi comedy that takes place "in an unusual setting". Where that might be, remains to be seen…

There was a blend of sci-fi and comedy in District 9, with Copley both amusing, infuriating and ultimately inspiring as self-serving creep turned hero, Wikus van der Merwe, so his casting looks like a good fit for this one.

No word on release dates as yet, but you can whet your appetite with Blomkamp's next offering when Elysium opens in the UK later this summer...

Are you excited for another Copley - Blomkamp collaboration? Tell us, below!

Comments

May 1st 2013, 11:05

Sci Fi comedy.....eh no thanks.

• apo1978

May 1st 2013, 12:38

@Ali1748 - I'll see your "no thanks" and raise you a "yes please".

• ilikescifi

May 1st 2013, 12:38

here is a list of good sci fi comedies; Spaceballs, Attack The Block. notice how they're 15 years apart? there is a reason for that

• SiMan

May 1st 2013, 13:02

There was also Galaxy Quest. Men in Black is kind of a comedy as well. You not counting those?

• chibik

May 1st 2013, 18:10

This might raise the question, can Blomkamp make a movie without Copley?

• SofiaAlexandra

May 1st 2013, 22:21

"District 9" changed my life, literally. It's the reason I decided to become a filmmaker. I'll see anything directed by Neill Blomkamp, and I'll see anything featuring Sharlto Copley, so bring on "Chappie", I say. :)

• chibik

May 2nd 2013, 6:38

@SofiaAlexandra: District 9 is my favourite film ever, and I'm just as big a fan of both director and actor. I guess I'll put off my worries until after I've watched Elysium, a film I'm sure will reaffirm these two as a winning combo.

May 2nd 2013, 10:12

Galaxy Quest was fun I did enjoy that, Attack The Block on the other hand forced me to turn it off after 30 minutes. Anyways I'd much rather see Neill continue with interesting original Sci Fi movies rather than an all out comedy.